Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through July 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: You are becoming more interesting all the time - You are still considered an Eastside Brother but once again lighten up on the shots - I don't need to justify anything to you but I have been teaching graduate/MA students at a CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY since 1998 all about special education children and their needs ... and once again and maybe at a local bar in your neighborhood we could dispel the myths you seem to want to generate ... 7 did you actually live on Eastwood? and just relax a little - life is also so short and try to join in the fun of this thread and don't take it so personally
KR- When at SE I would run night dances starting in 66 (7 will not be able to believe it) through 70 at a school prior to 66 had not had a night dance in about 6 years ( True story 7) . For me SE had a long history as part of my family ( True Story 7) and my father and our family were involved in the jewish community for years (True Story 7 ) Not only at Central HS but in the neighborhood of West Philadelphia AVE - Euclid - Claremont and 12th Street (True story 7) But we can discuss that at the bar 7 talks about where he bought cigarette when he couldn't get them at George's ....

ES61 Proudly, Supporting the Eastside, Catholics, Jews, Southeastern and all my friends on this thread including 7 -

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Too late I want THAT ball, hit by the Rock.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 938
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good ES. I'll bring the blueberries, or whatever's in season, and the first pitcher will be on me.

I'm sure you'll want to fly out when the Tars and their new coach compete for the state championship at Ford Field later this fall. We can meet at Dunn's Inn which is across the street from Candlelight...where someone else used to get their cigarettes. They have great ground rounds...at least they used to.

Oh, and at this bar you'll want to wear something other than your California clothes, if you know what I mean. If I get there before you do, I'll be the one without the bone chilling menacing stare.

From there, I'll take you on a little tour through our old neighborhoods...east and west of Hayes. You can shoot video as we drive by your old haunts.

Zitro

Post Number: 919
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Way to lighten up on the shots, good job.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL: Some Trivia: Let's examine how well we know the old neighborhood. No maps or googling for the question......

Do you know the boundaries of the street you lived on in Detroit? Where did the street start, where did it end?
The east boundary of Eastwood was of course Kelly Rd, how far west did it extend?
Fordham came out to Moross one its eastern boundary, again how far west did it extend?
Let's throw in Eastburn, Maddeline, Novara, Mapleridge etc. Did you know the boundaries of the street you lived on? NO FAIR PEEKING
Just a fun question!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 and Z: Sounds like fun Can GB and the god father OD tag along? A ground round .... words from the past!

Zitro

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Liberal and assumed the western boundary was Hayes, but it's just a guess

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Z, I think Liberal went at least as far as Gratiot.
Maddelein started at Kelly and extended West to the other side of Gratiot, where I think it ended about 2 blocks in. Lappin went at least as far.
There was another Eastwood (which is why I was confused at first on thie thread) over in Harper Woods. It started at Kelly and I think runs to Harper

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cheated. I knew Eastburn started at Kelly on the east & ran to Schoenherr on the west but I was wrong. It ends at Wish Egan.

It's interesting that at that point, every other street drops off i.e. Carlisle, Edmore, Eastburn Rossini, etc. are gone. From there on, the residential streets run on a north - south axis rather than east - west as they do east of Schoenherr. Wonder why?

Zitro

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't aware of anyone who went to SJS that lived west of Hayes.

Eastburn

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me either. I think Hayes was the western parish boundary. If you're referring to me, Z, I lived between Rex & Crusade.

Zitro

Post Number: 925
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad, that's what I thought KR was reaching for with his query, was the boundaries of our streets in the parish. I knew Liberal ran farther west I was thinking in the wrong context.

Zitro

Post Number: 926
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure Liberal ran at least to Schoenherr but not sure west of that.

Eastburn

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberal is one of the streets that ends at Schoenherr. I only know that because I have MS Streets & Trips up.

(Message edited by Eastburn on July 08, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lappin runs all the way out to Outer Drive, and I was right about Maddelein.
I answered then googled

Zitro

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this on one of the Dyes threads about street names and cross streets. Did you realize at Heilmann we had a Liberal/Crusade?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Fordham ended at Gratiot on the west...as far as I know. To tell the truth I had forgotten that it went east to 7 Mile...I had in my mind that it ended at Morang until you mentioned that fact.

7K: One: The term Black is capitalized when referring to the race of a person or group. Two: Hope has nothing to do with learning other than the fact that learning is enhanced with the expectation that a benefit of some type will be derived from it...that expectation is hope. Three: You seem determine to pour forth with a continuous stream of meaningless drivel that reinforces the demonstration of your limited range. My counsel is that you follow the advice of ES...neither of us need to demonstrate to you...or anyone else...the extent of our professional contributions...nor do we wish to have you denigrate them in any way.

Zitro

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB & ES: This is indeed a sweet little tag team match you have going, funny that OD hasn't chimed in now that it's safe you 2 have responded. I find it ironic that when you are challenged on something you dismiss it with a wave of your hand that you have to answer to no one. This may be the case but you continue to badger 7 about posting his resume's as if that is the end all to beat all about a person's makeup and character this in itself is doing the same thing isn't it? Kind of hypocritical IMO.

I'm sure people in your circles admire you for your academic achievements, but quite frankly this means absolutely nothing to the rest of us. If the whole world was filled with educators nothing would get done, so don't over inflate your importance in this world. We are all but infinitesimal specks on this earth

Speaking for myself and 7 and a few others that have communicated back and forth about your groups insensitive comments towards women in particular it has offended many of us. Perception being reality in most cases, we are indeed entitled to our opinions.

ES tells 7 to take it easy on the shots and writes a post laden with shots of his own in essentially the same breath. Hmmm, again it seems hypocritical.

My fondest memories of the best teachers I ever had were the one's that allowed a back and forth exchange of ideas. Maybe you were this kind of teacher at one point (I can only hope)but it feels like anything that is pointed in your direction is not even considered from your vantage point to be a possibility of truth.

I won't even get into the meaningless drivel thing either there's not enough time to go back through these threads and find the countless examples of this.

I don't expect any acknowledgment from you guys that any of this makes sense. I fully expect you to tell me to go back to breast feeding or to chill out life's too short, blah, blah, blah. But I don't appreciate bully's either and as long as the sniping continues from your end you can fully expect it back.

And as ES always says "Don't take it personally and have fun with this thread" I guess this is like adding the smiley face at this point.

This feels like a waste of time because anything one says just gets dismissed with the proverbial wave of the hand.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 953
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: Still running interference for 7&K I see. I haven’t chimed in because I haven’t had anything to say. Blueberries bore me and, unlike some who like to offer opinions on subjects they know nothing about, I prefer to let those who have been on the front lines like GB and ES discuss the challenges associated with helping and educating the disadvantaged.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood: Good night 7, good night Z, good night EB, Good night Jc, good night Bush, good night OD, good night GB and good night moon.... have fun ... life is so short.

ES61 proudly, fading to black

Zitro

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning ES: Hope you slept well. It's a beautiful day here in lovely Iowa, I plan on having a tremendous day, I hope yours goes as well.

7andkelly

Post Number: 942
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning OD. Do all fruits bore you? Scratch that...I know of two that don't...make that three if you chose to include yourself.

You're sure the one to talk about having someone else carry your mail. "Front lines" indeed...you're right behind them every step of the way, right OD?

Zitro

Post Number: 940
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't want GB to feel left out. Good morning GB how is my fellow eastside brother this morning? I hope all is well in your world. It should be a great day for all eastsiders wherever we are spread out.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K/Z: We feel your pain...ES, OD and I should not have been so hard on those carrying heavy life loads...take deep breaths...try to relax...we'll ease up...the three of us can hit hard...we can take it as well as dish it out...we probably should not have transferred our baiting of one another to others.

There are axioms associated with leadership...1) Put your head above the crowd and someone will throw a rock. 2) In order to avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing. If either one fits...put it on...if they don't, don't.

Any time you wish to engage in a discussion regarding education, working with minority populations (Latino, Black, Native, Affirmative Action, etc.), devoting a life/career to helping others...especially kids, or providing leadership to large organizations...let us know...but, be assured that you will be asked to provide references via experience or readings to support your opinions...and, a sample of one is no more than that...one.

Thanks for the "good morning"...it's just another "lousy" day in paradise...more sun and warm temperatures than any one person has a right to hope for...300 days a year like this. The guy I feel sorry for is ES...I think we should all chip in to send him somewhere...like on a search for Jjaba.

7andkelly

Post Number: 943
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure GB will be here soon to grace our presence. He's been busy over at Denby repelling more intruders.

Rocket_bozo's apparently gone, but now they've got this new guy named Cub they are trying to disgust into leaving.

7andkelly

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooh, speak of the devil.

Zitro

Post Number: 941
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I agree, we should all chip in and send ES somewhere. We might get differing opinions on what might be the most appropriate place though.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 958
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You're right. I'll ease up. I'll even ignore 7&K's homophonic remark since I know it was meant in jest.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 648
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyway, the street question was asked out of curiosity and interest of street design on the northeast side. For instance, Mapleridge's east terminus is Morang but the street just north if it, Parkgrove, crossed Morang and ended at Kelly: the street just south of it, Spring Garden ended at Kelly near Denby without crossing Morang. Don't know how far west Mapleridge went though.
Did anyone jut simply get on their bikes and simply head west?
Z: Interestingly Liberal did end at Schoenherr, literally at a friend's driveway.

Maddeliene, I thought ran right into Federal Department Store on Gratiot but it does continue on somewhat just west of Gratiot.

Now for Eastwood, still don't know (havent' peeked yet) thought it ended at Osborn HS. Interesting, Eastwood becomes a side street west of Schoenherr.

OD: You're making the assumption that some of our contributors "know nothing" about helping and teaching the disadvantaged" Do you know their educational and/or professional background or life experiences? That is a paradigm you may want to reconsider. BTW, Thanks for all the meaningful and interesting input into this thread.

7andkelly

Post Number: 945
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right OD, except "fruit" in this case was meant as a shortened version of "fruit-cake" (a foolish, eccentric, or crazy person), and not what you thought.