Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 934
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was the same way, I had about 500 miles under me belt before drivers training. My youngest son probably had almost 2000 miles. He drove down to Baton Rouge and Corpus Christi and 1 trip back to Michigan before he turned 16. The road test was a piece of cake.

Zitro

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see the Tigers hit a few home runs with guys on base for a change.

Zitro

Post Number: 936
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigs got a butt whoppin' going to tonight

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drivers' training.............summer of '68 on the black top (to the envy of Kr and lesser!)....August of '68 road test at Sect. of State on 7 mile and Gouldbourn.....you betcha!.but no car of my own til August of '69 (a '55 Chevy!..a story all its own)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'55 Chev, eh? Pretty cool wheels! So what's the story?

Zitro

Post Number: 938
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: I've been meaning to ask you. In one of your video clips you showed a shot of what looked like an archive photo on the wall of a classroom of St. Jude. In the lower left hand corner it looked like it was singed or something was handwritten but it was kind of blurry. Do you remember what it said?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: No, I didn't read about Gary Korte. Was Rick (class of 71) his brother? I've requested the alumni news a few months ago via e-mail. (I believe they're based out of ND prep now). If you wouldn't mind, please forward the news item about Gary. TX
Kellyroad67@yahoo.com

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468: Sure do remember the Kelly and Moross field before the car wash (Texaco) and the field across the street where the Colonial Bank was erected around 1964. The carwash field always had Christmas trees for sale in the late 50s and early 60s.

Zitro

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: It's one it way along with a link to the NDHS web page.

EB: Do you get the ND newsletter?

Eastburn

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. They're doing a nice job with it by replacing the printed version with the PDF format.

I guess it's no surprise that the ND experience stays with us as it has. Maybe we should start a separate ND thread - or maybe there's been one - just prior to my time here.

A group of us got together to plan our 40th reunion a few years ago. Being guys & not to into reunion planning, we didn't pull it off in time & had a 41 year instead. since then about a dozen of us get together a few times a year for dinner. Around Christmas time, the wives join in. those are special times to me.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR..........c'mon Mike, you me Gallas and Vigneau helped build Colonial........I for one know exactly where that vault is located.....and a tunnel in from J&b barber over the years...........hm hm

Zitro

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's question for the group. On the other unmentionable forum a while back they were discussing the guys who would come around with their little carts in the neighborhoods that would sharpen knives and such. We all had one of these come around right? In this thread some people referred to them as Sheeny Men. Does anyone recall this term being used?

Also I have to mention that there were some who took offense to this, apparently it can have a negative Jewish connotation. My intent is not to raise that as an issue just the use of the term because I don't recall it.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't personally remember them, Z, but I know from family lore that they did come around, and I know that they had these horse drawn carts on the SW side, too, and, at least over there, they were known as Sheeny men. I think the horse drawn part at least was well before our time. I remember milk men, Awreys men, fruit and vegetable men, ice cream men but no Sheeny men.

Zitro

Post Number: 951
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twin Pines or Wilson's milk? We had Wilson's

Jcole

Post Number: 2318
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Borden's. Borden's was best. We had Elsie the cow. Our milk man's name was Jim Jones, but he didn't have purple kool aid
I had a little bank that was a Borden's Milk truck with Elsie on the side. If I still had the damned thing, it would probably be worth a fortune

Zitro

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilson's had a whole Batman series. There was a program where you started out with this plastic bat like the Batman silhouette and there were about 10-12 circles 1" in dia. in there and each week he would bring a batman themed disc you would fill in the holes. I think there was a total of 3 sets you could accumulate. Sure wish I still had those.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had "sheeny men" and they were the garbage men. If you wanted something gone out othe alley, you'd paint it red, so the sheeny man would take it. I also heard about the ethnic connotation, however, we always used it in the garbageman sense. It was during my Mom's childhood days - and we just heard about it. Surprisingly, when I was in San Antonio for work, I mentioned the sheeny man and one young lady said that they were in Texas too - Apparently, a common term.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and on the milk - we had Twin Pines - west of Hayes and Wilson's East of Hayes. If you saved all the round tops, you could get on Milkey's Party Time and "buy" fabulous toys. I have a picture of myself and cousins and remember my older cousin kept saying "we don't have enough to bid" - so apparently it was some kind of auction.

Jcole

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, you were a lucky one, to get on Party Time. I always wanted to go, although I'm not a clown lover.
I remember doing 'Pillowcase Races' along with Milky from home.
I knew someone who lived down the street from him in B'ham/Beverly Hills and he said that Milky was a nasty drunk, even when on TV

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, J - there goes my memories of Milky the Clown! I don't remember much except getting shushed by my older cousin. Don't remember meeting the big clown, but apparently, that was a good thing!

Eastburn

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sheeny man wasn't the regular garbage man but an early day recycler. He went through the alleys with his horse drawn wagon "skimming the cream" before the regular garbage man came along. We didn't see them on Eastburn because we didn't have alleys. I recall seeing them in my Aunt's neighborhood on Courville. Don't recall any Jewish connotation (though I've heard the word "sheeny" used in a derogatory sense toward Jews), in fact, I think my Aunt's Sheeny man was black.

Eastburn

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking about Jewish folk - my recollection of our education at St. Jude was that we were taught to have a great deal of respect for Jews and the Jewish faith as Judaism was the foundation of our faith.

What's your recollection?

An interesting note - Catholics & Jews number the 10 commandments differently than do Protestants. Protestants split our 1st commandment into 2 and combine our 9th & 10th.

Jcole

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was not my recollection at all. I only remember being taught that the Jews killed Jesus. I remember also being told that Jesus wasn't a Jew.
Could be faulty memory, but it is what I remember. As well as the 'other' religions were wrong, and we were the 'One True Faith'

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going with Eastburn on this one. I don't have the same recollection as J - maybe it was taught prior to my 3rd grade entrance. I don't remember at AG or SJS any reference to disrespecting Jewish people. I do remember learning that we were the one truth faith - but not about any other religions being wrong.

Jcole

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said, could be the way I perceived it, differently than others, or the nuns that I had were more strident than the ones you all had, although, I know CFG and I shared quite a few teachers along the way. But I honestly never remember being taught Judaism was the foundation of our faith. I know now that it is, and I remember after Vatican II that some teachings changed, so it may be from 1st and 2nd grade that I remember this.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going with Eastburn on this one. I don't have the same recollection as J - maybe it was taught prior to my 3rd grade entrance. I don't remember at AG or SJS any reference to disrespecting Jewish people. I do remember learning that we were the one truth faith - but not about any other religions being wrong.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that was a delayed reaction double post! I wish we would have learned more about our religion in the later grades, but Vatican II seemed to take out Catholic faith to a level that wasn't deserving of much in depth education. I don't remember learning much in religion glass after confirmation in the 5th grade. Do you?

Zitro

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the knife/scissor sharpener man only came down my street as no one else remembers one coming down their street. Must have been a lucrative business

Zitro

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Was my question earlier too personal?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Twin Pines or Wilson"?

or the note on the picture?