Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note on the picture

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: We had the sharpener man too. We'd have to walk - not run - out with the scissors - and I think he sharpened the old hand lawn edger too.

Zitro

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks CFG, I was beginning to wonder

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I was thinking about that, too, but I couldn't remember if he came with a car or a cart.
Does anyone remember a Waffle Man?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to zoom in. It's something like:

"Compliments of Tom Cotter

All State Ins Co"

Not sure about Cotter, State or States, and Ins.

I'll try to snap it and send it to you.

Zitro

Post Number: 957
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you

Jcole

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick off topic (like that's new) question for Z or 7.
What are the braided cords a lot of the Tigers are wearing around their necks for?

Zitro

Post Number: 958
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their titanium supposedly they give some type of relaxation and increase circulation.

7andkelly

Post Number: 951
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Z.

I didn't notice J, but I will try to find out if Z doesn't find out first.

Jcole

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For real? That sounds like the copper bracelet bullshit to me. Oh, well, if they believe it....

Zitro

Post Number: 959
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny I was was writing that in and decided to delete it

Zitro

Post Number: 960
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MIGGS! 2 run jack in the bottom of the ninth!

Zitro

Post Number: 961
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on let's do the Mojito

Jcole

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the copper bracelet thing. I was at a chiropractor's office with my sister one time, and the (so-called)Dr. was hawking those bracelets to an old man. It pissed me off so bad. He was telling this old guy how he really had to have one, and he could pay it off in 3 months at $30 bucks a month. I thought 'You parasite, preying on an old guy on a fixed income. Give him the damned bracelet if it's such a miracle cure. Aren't you afraid of losing his business when it cures him?'

Zitro

Post Number: 962
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus they turn you green

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't personally remember the sheeny men coming around, but remember guys going down the street with either vans, carts, or something like that hawking knife sharpening, another selling veggies. i knew of sheenies where my mom came from in nw ohio - her uncle was one - town drunk who went door to door trying to sell stuff. was kind of sad. as for copper bracelets, my dad wore one - he was a big golfer and said it did help his arthritis. at the time it wasn't my place to ask. so, for all of you, what is now where calcaterra funeral home was? heard it is a burger king or something like that. can still remember a police funeral in the 60's when Frank, the janitor was the first in the line of mourners - quite an impressive parade going to sj church - everyone was on the sidewalks watching.

12468_laing

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cfg, i mentioned before my sister was in campfire girls with you. her name is linda and grad from sjs in 1969, lives in roseville now. any memories? can remember going to camp wathana to pick her up with my folks. if you remember her, email me at stevem@arrowsmitheye.com

Jcole

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468, There is a Wendy's over there on the corner of Moross and Kelly. I think there's an Auto Zone or something like that where Calcaterra's was

12468_laing

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man, hate that, but that is progress i guess. is there still a bank or whatever where the credit union was kiddy corner from the church? dad always parked there for mass as it was a quick getaway

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 652
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468: Trvia: What was located at the Calcaterra site prior to the funeral home?

Jcole

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's still a credit union, but CFG would know better. She still goes to SJ for church. I just visit the area once in a while

Jcole

Post Number: 2360
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted some recent pictures of the area on my Facebook site.
http://www.facebook.com/album. php?aid=3387&id=1210646994

12468_laing

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kellyroad, wish i knew, but it was always a funeral home. now that you question this mind enjoying a couple of jack on the rocks, was there a union 76 station that they took over as a garage for the hearses? that would be the only thing i remember else being on that lot

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468: J on the rocks...Is that a Tenn. tradition? lol
anyway, check out the picture on April 6 on this SJ thread. There appears to be a Marathon station where the the hearses eventually were. Across the street there was a Pure station (in the 50s and early 60s) that became a UNION 76 STATION then eventually a Pet Shop located where Fordham and Moross converged.

Answer to trivia: Kroger was located at the Calcaterra site. In fact, part of the Kroger structure may have been used for the funeral home

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a guy that sharpened knives pushing a cart around the neighborhood but I don't think he did it for long. It was probably in the late 70's. If you want to see what the area looks like now, check out google street maps. I just went by and was surprised to see the Fr. Ording center has a big pregnancy center sign on it. Very tacky. Also went through the old neighborhood and it was disgusting to see my old home with plywood windows. It was a vibrant neighborhood and is now really suffering.

Kellyroad, were you the one asking about Dennis Wrosch a while back? I taught with him at Cornerstone Elementary and heard he is a principal now somewhere. We used to work out together. I hope he is well.

12468_laing

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, i remember the marathon station now. when calcaterra bought it, i remember thinking they must have a lot of money and were buying everything in the area. kroger? that was definitely before my day. and, i remember the union 76 going to a pet store - wasn't it a fish place? thing that also got me about the area was the gift store or whatever it was on the corner. always had a lot of lamps in the windows, and i never saw anyone buying one. thought the place was for the rich when i was a kid.

Jcole

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage,
I know what you mean. I took a drive through a few weeks ago, and my house was boarded up, too.
Very sad and depressing

7andkelly

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the gift shop on the corner. I don't remember ever going in there. But I frequented George's Party Time, and sunk a ton of money into Topps Baseball cards...I still have some from that era...along with some fillings. Nice place to go for a Mr. Freeze from the cooler by the window in the front of the store. And the bakery ladies next door were so nice to give me one of those large sugar cookies every time I went in there.

Zitro

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh Calcaterra's I worked there for 3 years during H.S. Many a time I would sneak a friend or two in the north entrance where the flowers and "guests" were delivered and bring them into the operating room, once they got past the swinging doors I would shut the lights off on them. Gee I wonder where I learned that trick from? I never claimed not to be sadistic.

Jcole

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That priest planted the seed, you watered it, fed it and tended it, didn't you, Z?