Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why isn't this thread incorporated into the Eastside Megathread. Same old / same old.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 966
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget my brother and the big old honking furnace in the basement.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, you got it from both sides. I understand. It's not your fault, you were injured psychologically.

(Message edited by jcole on July 10, 2008)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - not only do I remember the Kroger/Calcaterra set up but could, if I wasn't so sensitive, pass on some of the crude jokes going around SJS re the transformation from super market to funeral home. I believe that basically the whole Kroger store became Calcaterra's with just some additions. That's why it looked like no funeral home I've ever seen.

Regarding street sales/service people: We had the knife sharpener guy, the milk man, the bread man, Home Juice Co., the Fuller Brush man, a guy who sold needles, thread & "notions" to name just a few. There was a truck that came around periodically that sold just about everything but I can't put a name to it.

Remember, in the 40s & 50s most families had only one car so Mom couldn't just run out shopping.

Speaking of that, I recall that after a real heavy snowfall (12+") my Dad ran out of beer, booze and cigarettes. Since Detroit streets weren't ever plowed (see "Ruts" way above) he couldn't get the car out. He called Lenzion's party store on 8 Mile, put in his order & sent me - with my sled - to pick it up. I was 8. Guess I came by some of my traits naturally.

End of story time for now, kiddies.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14509glenfield, we're different!

Zitro

Post Number: 967
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14509glenfield: Thanks for your insightful contribution to the discussion.

Jcole

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We like it here.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JAZZSTAGE: Dennis Wrosch was a good friend of mine starting in 5th grade. I changed my route walking home (walked a block toward Redmond instead of cutting down Rex) so I could talk with him when walking home. I learned a lot about life with Dennis...He had two much older brothers..so things like model cars, slot racing, weight lifting, all the great music from the British invasion bands and of course subjects that one can enjoy especially when having two older male siblings around was pretty evident at his house on Laing. It was nice expansion of a St. Jude school education. We went our separate ways after SJ..saw him at the 20th reunion in 87..... not to sound sappy but he was a genuinely nice person and I wonder how he's doing. When was the last time you saw him? Yes, I hope he's in good health.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: You hit the nail on the head...Most families had one car or relied on public transportation even in "modern" area such as St. Jude. "Oh where have all the milk chutes gone? long time passing"..let's hear it now

Jcole

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where have all the Coal Chutes gone,
Long, long time ago

Kellyroad

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: I concur about the Calcaterra funeral home. It was a unique design...I thought was modern in appearance with the glass surrounding an inside patio and an all white stark exterior....Not a bad conversion from a grocery store. I can imagine all the SJS jokes going around during its conversion.

12468: I believe the name of the pet shop or tropical fish store was called Sea World (not 100% sure). I made the same observation as you concerning the gift shop on Moross and Kelly...hardly ever saw anyone in the place and trust me we were down on that corner more than once a day either to the bakeshop or George's party store. The few times I did go in there, I felt like a bull in a china shop...A lot of expensive crystal lamps displayed on tables. I was actually nervous...There may have been a selection on greeting cards.. It's still amazing how long that gift shop lasted on that corner

Zitro

Post Number: 969
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abraham, Martin & John

Zitro

Post Number: 970
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may have been a front

Jcole

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, yeah I guess the housewives in their house dresses cashing in their betting slips and buying their moonshine from the female shop owners would have flown under the radar. Maybe that's why our mother's seemed so harried when we got home from school. They just got back from their debaucheries, and had to hurry and clean and cook.

Zitro

Post Number: 971
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were obviously more clever than we ever gave them credit.

Jcole

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had five cops on our block, so they were probably on 'the take' from the Housefrau Gang, which is what kept them out of jail.
That's probably why we were sent outside to sit on the steps so often. We were sittin' chicky

Kellyroad

Post Number: 664
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter, Paul, and Mary

Z: Oh my GAWD, How intuitive, A front..Of course! All those years right under our noses...What else could it be? They sold candles there too. Oh my GAWD...The butcher, the baker, and the candle stick maker..It's all making sense now...they were all in on it. I'll bet the barber and George were in on it too. Z, I got to tell ya, all those long distance bike adventures out of the St. Jude neighborhood at an early age made you no one's fool. Thanks for the insight.

7andkelly

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was no coincidence the undertaker was right across the street.

Jcole

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They probably filled caskets with bottles of cooking sherry and shipped it out of the back of the funeral home.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR.........the gift shop was owned and operated by the butchers son.............just to kep ANY business in there............that guy was kinda wierd too.....(if you know what I mean).........

Jcole

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it he was a very happy, meat loving man?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: prime cut and always fresh

7Kid: Not Carl, no way

Zitro

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the new logo for our Anaheim Ducks affiliate. The name is kid of corny (pun?) but the porker is kind of kool.

Jcole

Post Number: 2400
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a wild hog more than the vehicle for pork chops. I wouldn't want to get anywhere near it.

Zitro

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a mean lookin' cuss

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have one for you, too. There is a minor league hockey team in Macon, GA called Macon Whoopee. True story! They came to Nashville back before the Predators came to town. By the way, any plans for the old school building? Is the gym also vacant?

Zitro

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're (SJS group) is going to buy it and turn it into a bowling complex and yours truly will run the operation

7andkelly

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larish makes it 3-2 so far.

Jcole

Post Number: 2401
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Another Bride, another June, another sunny honeymoon. Another season, another reason for Macon Whoopee'
Kinda loses something in the translation

Zitro

Post Number: 976
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, both Sheffield and Renteria on the bench and their winning.