Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through July 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 946
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why these two esteemed educators would be so disdainful of GEDs when often those who attain them are the very disadvantaged ones they say they like to help.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 959
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: I'll accept eccentric.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 942
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: By meaningful and interesting input is that the same as when you eat something you don't like at someone's house and you say "It's different"?

We aren't going to start whipping out our.......resume's again and start comparing sizes are we? We've been down this road too many times. A road that leads to a dead end.

Zitro

Post Number: 943
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides KR's right, just last week I helped an old man probably about GB's ES, & OD's age learned how to navigate the internet. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

7andkelly

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the response OD. Since you picked first, that leaves "foolish" and "crazy" for GB and ES.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 963
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: I say "crazy" for GB and "foolish" for ES.

Zitro: Yes, but can you teach an old broken down nag of a horse new tricks like GB can?

Zitro

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bite my lip for once on the horse reference, I wouldn't want to offend my pal GB. But it's tempting. On second thought, no, no, no forget it. Geez I hate being nice.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you boys have been busy while I was gone, haven't you.
Started a war, ran it, ended it and almost started another one.

Zitro

Post Number: 945
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes mommy we've been bad, Sorwwy :-(

Jcole

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should I be politically correct, and order a 'Time Out' or revert to my roots, and get out the razor strop?

Zitro

Post Number: 946
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as were all living in the past, might as well make it the strap, although I'm not sure what a strop is.

Jcole

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the leather implement that hung in the bathroom for Dads to sharpen their straight razon on. Ours was two pieces of leather, both long, connected at the top by a piece of metal with a hook type thing on it. One piece was leather like a belt, and the other was untanned, I think. One honed, and the other smoothed. They both hurt.

Jcole

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the one my dad had. I just found it on the net, I don't keep a picture of it in my wallet or anything wierd like that.

Zitro

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad just used a double edge razor and he would drop the used blades in this little slot in the medicine cabinet. I always wondered where they went.

Jcole

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had one of those slots, also. I think dad had given up the straight edge by the time I came along, but kept the strop for other purposes

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, oh....I don't want Jc usin' that strop on me...but I'll bet ES and OD would enjoy it!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 966
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I want to get one of those for GB. That picture looks just like Tango.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See...what did I tell ya...OD and ES will be using one on each other pretty soon...what a pair!

Jcole

Post Number: 2329
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize Tango was a Llama. Oh, I see now. when GB retired, he called one of those 800 numbers that lets you start your own Llama farm for fun and profit. He just wants people to THINK he raises horses. Your secrets safe with us, GB

7andkelly

Post Number: 948
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh great J, you just kick started their nightly circle jerk.

Jcole

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I felt I needed a purpose in life.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: No whipping out of anything here, no whipping at all, not even with a "strop".

The only resume needed is if "resume" means to continue....by definition that does not lead to a dead end street.

(Message edited by kellyroad on July 09, 2008)

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Me either. I think Hayes was the western parish boundary. If you're referring to me, Z, I lived between Rex & Crusade."

I had relatives that lived on Lappin between Queen and Hayes. All three of my cousins attended SJS. So I guess the parish boundary extended west of Hayes at least a block.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fordham ended at Gratiot on the west...as far as I know. To tell the truth I had forgotten that it went east to 7 Mile...I had in my mind that it ended at Morang until you mentioned that fact."

Fordham actually ends at a street Reno just west of Gratiot but east of Schoenherr. I believe Reno ends at Parkgrove.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 650
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn: I believe the parish boundaries may heve been as far west as Gratiot....knew students at SJS who lived on Lappin by Monarch and a parishioner who lived on Rossini right by the old Saratoga Hospital.

7andkelly

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I really got to old ES. He finally cracked. He's hiding out at Denby, dropping f-bombs and cursing Heaven itself. Pray for him. I will.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn: You're right. During the days of hanging out at the 7/Gratiot area it was interesting to note where streets ended and/or continued all because of the diagonal streets such as Gratiot. Queen continued north of 7 Mile but not directly while MacCrary and Celestine stopped at 7 Mile. Monarch was located between Maccray and Celestine north of 7 but stopped at Coram and continued on to State Fair Past Nevada.

ALL: Is there a street or obscure section of the eastside of Detroit that you never knew existed until much later in your life. Perhaps a one-way street only a couple of blocks long or perhaps a small park that you said to yourself "I never knew this existed and it was right in my neck of the woods"??

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood Members: Please join my friend sEVEN as he prays for me ...

Obscure Street: Any of you ever been on Ashley St??????

7andkelly

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously...something's happened to ES. He's really sore, and behaving like a raving lunatic...more than usual.

Someone must have gotten his goat...or taken her from him.

Or maybe he's not taking his meds again.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Please let the group know how you are doing - we will support you at every turn .... Even our friend Jjaba is concerned about your out of balance attitude towards others .... Actually I feel fine and will be teaching teachers tomorrow as they work towards their masters degree about how to support children with special needs .... and I will emphasize how we can assist children who we hope will not become angry adults .... Right 7???????