Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Times football calendars... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 1957 Detroit Times football calendar that has the Lions, Mich, MSU, and the U. of Detroit 1957 football schedules listed on it. I'm curious if there is any other memorabilia left from the Detroit Times.
Top of pageBottom of page

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the stuff at the Times was either pitched or carted off by staffers when the paper was bought by the News in 1960. I know of at least two guys around town who fished through the garbage and brought home hundreds of vintage sports photos, which are now sold on eBay and elsewhere. Eddie Hayes, the Times' old sports editor, had the foresight to rescue a few hundred shots himself and later gave me a bunch. Eddie's long dead and the rest of those photos are probably long gone, too. What a shame and a waste--and I'm not just talking about sports photos being lost. I imagine there were tens of thousands of images of the city in its heyday that were simply tossed in the trash.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.