Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through July 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure our threads might not be as stylin' as yours out on the left coast, but Michigan is still a better state! Yes, we would love to free Lansing, but unfortunately our Canadadaian governor is here to stay for the rest of her term.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on July 06, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 926
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, at least I recycle...no matter how many times I have to fill and empty the milk jugs with fresh tap water to get all the gunk out.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Yes! at least you have Heilmann which is in the middle of a growing wasteland ... Oh ...wait! I have Heilmann, too..... I have the memories and I don't have to deal with the wasteland....

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Heilmann memories are good...Balduck memories are better.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: "In coming" ... CSI info soon to be sent electronically ... I will keep you posted and BALDuck Memories are the best .. and most vivid!

7andkelly

Post Number: 927
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, how are the blueberries out where you are?

Picked a bucketfull of fresh plump blueberries out in western Wayne County yesterday, and a pint of raspberries, and some onions and radishes. Corn's about waste high. Could use a few days without rain though, or the potatoes are going to rot. Cukes look promising.

7andkelly - just a city kid down on the farm for the day

Eastside61

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: good for you.... my blueberries are selected from the River Road along the Au Sable between 5 channels dam on M-65 and Oscoda and shipped west ..... They are the best!

Goblue

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I dunno...the blueberries back in the woods about a mile north of Sleeper State Park...back toward the bogs...are really, really outstanding.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB and &7: We need a chapter in the book about the best blueberries......

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, wouldn't "a mile north of Sleeper" put them out in Lake Huron?

EB, proud resident of Huron County

Eastside61

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: GB does not use a GPS ... He uses his 706 compass that he stole off of OD while on Mackinaw Island ... But the needle is bent... any questions ????

Goblue

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: You're right...actually northeast of Sleeper State...and probably more like a half mile on a direct line...my folk's cottage was a block off of the water across from a little county park maybe a half mile north of Sleeper...can't remember the name. I used to wander those woods by myself when I was a kid...me and my trusty Red Ryder...the only rule was be home for dinner.

ES: I DID NOT swipe that compass from OD...it was in the backpack of stuff that we "liberated" during a raid on 309 during a campout at D Bar A. When we divvied up I got the compass...it has the initials EE engraved on it.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 954
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Did you forget ES couldn’t get into the Boy Scouts? Although he set his sights very low, even 309 wouldn’t take him. He had to sneak into the campground and pitch his pup tent behind the 309 tents after everyone had gone to sleep. When the dense 309ers woke up the next morning they didn’t know the difference and thought he was one of them. He used to follow 309 when they took hikes, and everyone thought he was just a straggler who couldn’t keep up.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

706er's: then who bent the needle? come clean as that compass had been in the family for over 200 years .... or was it 200 minutes ?

Goblue

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez...we grabbed that backpack from the first tent we came to...you don't suppose that it was ES's do ya? If so...what the hell was he doing with a package of condoms and a tube of K-Y on a 309 camping trip? We didn't check to see how many guys were in the sleeping bag. Their campsite was named Broadback Mt. HT was the leader of that troop during that era. Oh man...I don't want to think about it.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 960
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Why did you have to tell ES they were condoms? He thought they were emergency mini-canteens. Every campout you could see him with a couple filled with water strapped to his belt in case he got thirsty.

Goblue

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Yeah, I remember seeing him with those things on his belt...I probably shouldn't have said anything...but, ya know...at this point he's just gotta come to the realization. Plus...he keeps referring to a "bent needle"...sort of sounds like an analogy don't ya think?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/OD: HT was a great troop leader ... a man amongst men ... he would share about his first encounters with a fellow classmates ... a preppy kid from the neighborhood west of hayes ... he also talked about a one "nighter" with this kid who had been to CA... Those were the days .... he then became involved with this schmuck over around Seven and Kelly ... but the 7 & K kid was brain damaged.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, you mentioned your folks had a cottage a block in from the county park. Would that have been Oak Beach Rd?

Goblue

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Yup...that's it! Thanks for the name...I'd completely forgotten it. The place was on the first road from the highway...about 4-5 houses over on the right. They built the place as a second home. Before that they had rented a cottage for a couple weeks every summer for as long as I could remember. They were planning to move up there when my dad retired from Stroh's...but, he had a major stroke there and spent a couple of weeks in the hospital in Pigeon before we could move him to Detroit. They were never able to fulfill that dream. They sold it in the early 70's...I had moved out of state and my sister wasn't interested anymore. I wish we still had it but OD says that the lake areas around there aren't near as nice as they used to be...what do you think?

Jcole

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been up there in a couple years, but I still found them nice at the time. More people crowded in than I remember at the beaches.
We rented a cottage about a block south on the corner of the highway and the next cross street a couple times when I was a teenager. I think there was a little store there called the Oak Beach Mkt right on the corner of your street across from the park. I had some damned good times up there as a teenaged girl on the loose. Town Beach, county park, state parks, sand dunes, mini golf, the movies. It was great

Goblue

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: I remember that little market...walked down there many times. My dad used to rent a rowboat somewhere right around there so we could go out fishing for perch. Yeah, me too...some damned good times during those summers...there was a two-week summer romance every year from about age 15-20...before that it was roaming the woods or the beach...and there was a horse stable on the next road to the north...used to rent a horse for the day and ride in the woods...the owner chewed my ass one time for bringing the horse back soaked with sweat...I'd galloped it hard and then didn't walk to cool it down. I think the last time I was at the cottage was around 1971 or so.

Jcole

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there in the early 70's. Probably 71 and 72 in that location, and then we rented a place up closer to Port Austin on the lake side of the road in 73.
The first year, my brother in laws sister and I had a contest to see how many guys we could meet. I think we tied at around 20. I met a 21 year old guy that year, and saw him for the next two years that I was vacationing up there. He was a townie from Pigeon. I was 15. Good times

Eastside61

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chapter 201 of the book: Summer romances! Au Sable River area for ES .... Vaughn Lake close to Glennie on M 65 - Parents had 5 acres in the Huron Nat. Forest ... and driving over to West Branch with Tom T to a place called the Swing Bowl ... music / dancing / and instant romance .... Oh... what about Summer Camp romances tooooooo! In the name of the Lord....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Re Saginaw Bay muck.... I was just passing on what I read in the papers. I haven't actually been near Caseville for 20+ years so I don't know if/how it affected the beaches there. But I have been to Bay City frequently, and you would not want to dip your toe in what flows out of the Saginaw River into the bay.

Re: Summer romances..... Was it the same horse the whole summer or did you date around?

Jcole

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Saginaw river has always pour muck and sludge into the Bay. I'm not sure how fishing is there now, but I think it was banned a few years back. I'm guessing the downflow of the Titabawassee from Midland doesn't help things. I'm surprised it doesn't glow in the dark. But Caseville and Port Austin sit out further toward Lake Huron, and the goo has probably diminished by the time it flows out of the bay.

Goblue

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Sorry, I misunderstood the thoughts about the Saginaw Bay...I agree, the Saginaw River has always been a polluted muck hole...and I'm certain that you're right Jc...can you imagine what flows in from Dow Chemical!

The perch fishing used to be great in late August and early September. There was still commercial net fishing in those days...my dad and I would row out and anchor in the middle of a huge net trap...just like fishing in a barrel.

Jc...you really were a bad girl! 15 years old and running around with a guy 21...you must have driven your poor dad crazy! That sounds like something my daughter would have done. For me the best summer memories were with Sharon G who was from Midland...and Marlene G who was from Dearborn...bonfires on the beach...rubbing noses under a blanket...reconnected with the latter a little bit at WMU...the last I knew (which was 40 years ago) she was a teacher in East Lansing of all places...she musta married one of those people if ya know what I mean.

Jcole

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, I wasn't bad, he was.
My younger daughter went to Northwood University up at Midland, and one of the places that the kids up there used to do their parking at night was overlooking the chemical pools at Dow. The lights are really kind of weirdly pretty at night, glowing off the greenish, polluted ponds, but the smell can be a little off-putting depending on the wind direction.
But, boy, does Dow ever pour money into that area. The arts, gardens, education. It's amazing.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First hand muck report from the shores of Huron County. Not as bad (so far) as last summer. We live east of the top of Lake Huron and battle muck constantly. We're told it's caused by failing septic systems & excessive use of phosphates in dishwasher detergents and lawn fertilizer. That may be. What I see (& smell) are the numerous CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) where thousands of head of dairy cattle are confined in barns (never out to pasture) being milked throughout their 3 - 4 year life spans. The manure is liquefied then spread on tiled fields. From there it runs into the drainage ditches to the creeks & rivers & finally into lake Huron.

Try a Google Earth search for Huron City & locate Willow Creek. In the sat photo it looks like a toilet flushing. I can tell you that our muck sure doesn't smell like dish detergent or lawn fertilizer. It smell strangely like cow shit.

Completely un-scientific analysis but there you are.

Jcole

Post Number: 2436
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it empty out next to that point next to a farm, or is that a river? Almost looks like it has a Delta