Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z............the trophies are the new relics!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Fr. Bob stated the pictures may be in the basement church. He mentioned something about the trophies and the signed football. It sounds like they are still there too. Perhaps CFG could do some investigative work in a couple of weeks. Good follow up question Z
BTW, I spoke with someone who teaches at an academy that once was Servite HS, He is still very connected to the Arch Dioescese..It seems that in Servite's case many of the trophies went to the alumni/former players.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KR. CFG your mission should you choose to accept it.

Zitro

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought I'd share this with you guys. Moving to Iowa did not involve too many cultural changes for me. It's midwest values just like in Mich. One of the nuances though is the whether it is called pop or soda. In Michigan I always knew it as pop but the prevailing term here is soda. Now it has reached critical mass and is up for debate. A midwest chain of gas station is called Kum and Go (no lie) is having an online vote. I also know that down south (maybe laing can verify) that they call pop/soda - Coke. They say they want a Coke- what kind of Coke? Mountain Dew please.

http://www.pop-vs-soda.com/

Zitro

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another one that took a while to get used to was being asked at the store whether you want a sack for your food.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Just remember to stay true to your St. Jude roots. Hamburgers 25 cents, Hot Dogs 20 cents, POP 10 cents. Do you have Vernors in Iowa?

Next time they ask if you want a sack for your food just tell them to bag it.

The term soda is a Michigan term and perhaps Ontario and some of the neighboring states. Out east, west and down south it's SODA.

Zitro

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have found a store in Ames that carries Vernors. They only have it in cans, it seems to taste better out of a bottle.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I just voted for Pop.
I've been to the Kum & Go in Leadville, Co, over 10000 feet in altitude. Apple has a travel site for Ipod users to upload pics, so we took a picture of Sarah with 'the Pod' in hand in front of the Kum & Go to post. I'm sure she was teh most popular girl on the site for a while.

Jcole

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out on the East coast they used to call pop/soda/Coke a phosphate.
Texas is big on that Coke for everything, too.
Also, when you order Iced Tea you always get the question 'Sweet Tea?"

Jcole

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and don't forget the ever popular 'Soda Pop'

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always thought of a soda as pop & ice cream

Zitro

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing JC. You've got feel for foreigners trying to figure this out. I guess if they just ask for water they can't get confused.

Zitro

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then I would assume you would vote pop then right EB?

Zitro

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be very easy to make an association between the altitude of that store in Colorado and the name of the store. But I won't do it, since this is a church thread.

Jcole

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the 'Not quite Mile High Club'. See, I don't care.

Eastburn

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, for me it's pop.

Perhaps some of this discussion should be moved to the "brothels" thread.

Jcole

Post Number: 2515
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon EB, they mention it in the Bible. ALOT

Eastburn

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I, for one, am all for it.

As a final comment on my weekend - as I was walking through the fairgrounds Saturday midnight after watching folks nearly destroy expensive HD motorcycles in the "corral" I felt as if I was in a Mad Max movie. Fires burning, rock music playing, tribal characters all around. Kinda weird.

Zitro

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: 25 years ago this behavior might have seemed normal to you. Now the insanity of it is very obvious.

Eastburn

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

25 1/2 maybe. I might have been right in the middle of it. But I don't think I'd have torn up one of my beloved Beemers.

Jcole

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

15 years ago, I'd have been swingin' the torch to light the bonfire, while holding a bottle of 80 proof Smirnoff.
Who Hoooo! Partay!!

Eastburn

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - You're right. I gave myself an extra year.

Zitro

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought so. Isn't your birthday like March 84?

Eastburn

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes sir. 3/28/84.

We should plan a celebration late next year.

Zitro

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a bitter sweet year for sure. We can share a pink lemonade together

Jcole

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got my B'day coming up 8/8/08. I'll be 15

Zitro

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats JC: It's a great accomplishment. That's the opening day of the Olympics. It's nice to have friends who truly understand the effort and agony it takes. I never want to go through it again.

Jcole

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You and me both, brother. It was no fun at all. Getting there on the other hand, had its moments, early on.

Zitro

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 - You still alive or just in deep contemplation?

Zitro

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we pick on CFG while she's away? She'll never know.