Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Archive through July 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5062
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Jones necessary!

That was a great effort to overcome errors, cheap hits, injuries, and the general discouragement that accompanies playing a game in Minnesota.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8325
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never say die.

It almost makes one forget about the hideous start that this team has had. The fact that this team has had an AMAZING month of June speaks of their resiliency. Two months ago people were writing this team off already. Does anyone remember the sweep of the White Sox awhile back? With the upcoming schedule after the All Star break, we're going to be in charge of our own destiny because we've got so many games against the Sox & Twins. My bet is that it's going to be us and the White Sox because the Twins have got so many brutal games against the Red Sox, Yankees and the daunting AL East.

It's nice to know our team still has some moxie.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

moxie. heh heh. yep, consistent moxy lately. very nice to see indeed. at the moment, seems that the defensive game is displaying some amazing moxee. If Tigers are able to pull this one out, then yes, we can begin applying moxyisms to them. moxy is usually reserved for the Yankees. but hey, I'll take moxie over winning any day - it's more properly called "stealing". Like in the NHL.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed seeing C-Mo hit a home run against the Tigers. He got a rough deal, and it's good to see him do that, even though it hurt us. It's also good to see his .200 batting average, lol. It was ALSO good to see Marcus Thames, the guy that allowed them to let go of Monroe, go ahead and hit a homer of his own the next inning, ROFL. How'd'ya like DEM apples?!

Smogboy

Post Number: 8341
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn the Sox for stealing one in ten.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miner sent to Toledo and Aquileno Lopez returns.
I guess this says our pitching is improving if we can send Miner down after an outing where he walks 4 but doesn't give up a run. Miner supposedly throws low 90's with movement but his pitches always look flat and hittable to me. As long as Bodine can be our 5th starter we're stronger with Lopez in middle relief.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like all this up and down with Toledo. Consistency is what's needed, unless guys are DRASTICALLY under performing. Miner's been doing alright, I think.

401don

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree Focus. Even though Miner has never been stellar, he has pitched well lately and even held the 7th inning for us for a few games. It does put a lot of pressure on a pitcher. One bad outing and you may be outta here. I wonder if this is coming more from Dombrowski or Leyland.

Ggores

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

notorious

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they are, probably, giving up on Miner. Leyland said all the Right Things about him, after the demotion, but the remarks ring hollow. They don't see him as a starter, they don't see him as a closer, they don't see him as a set-up guy, and it now seems that they don't see him as a bullpen middle-reliever guy.

Ravine

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I love the photo of Inge glowering toward the pillows, but I confess that I don't "get" the post.
I figure that it's probably pretty funny, and I'm just a bit thick-in-the-head, today.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

I don't get the pillow-Inge reference either.

Maybe Miner needs to build up some good stats at Toledo so Dombrowski can use him in a trade.

401don

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Ggores, we give up.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers' Inge loses battle with pillow, placed on DL

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080625/SPO RTS02/80625089

Ggores

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, here I am wanting to bake a grilled-cheese sandwich before hitting the town and ... okay...

My head been thick today as well, and the posting was only an attempt to remind everyone that this is a game. The Ingster is out because of an incident with a pillow. This would be the least of the Tigers problems. I am telling once again that Ing is the KEY. He's no hotshot. He begged to be traded for feeling spited. He acted in the most contrary way to the Tiggers off-season trades and acquisitions compared to a champ - Casey.

And , again, you only play now to play in October, and Ing been around since before Pudge. But in MLB, too many chicken feathers can really trip you up. :-)

The notorious Ing is the key. We will see what transpires.

Heh, some heads would cry, "foul ball! passive-aggressiveness!" Nahhhhh... just wanna seem 'em win. And have a couple laughs along the way.

401don

Post Number: 620
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I should have got it. But when Inge hurt himself on a pillow did he cry foul or fowl?

As far as I'm concerned, you can keep both Inge with his .218 batting avg. AND Casey with his 1 homer. We need Magglio back asap!

Ggores

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh heh heh, Don, ol' Maggs, he's a fiery one, that one is. Hey Ing, if you reading this (and sure you are) then know that your pal Gg be laying down the real deal. We all know that carrying a constant .218 or > is pretty damn good! ;-)

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some fans have begun to doubt the team again, with their play the last few games. How about you?

Ggores

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I NEVER doubt my Tigers.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't doubt they can win the division. I do doubt they can do much else, unfortunately. We'll see though.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3368
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some great pitching today and a fine win. However, that friggin' Todd Jones is gonna give me heart failure yet. Hits the first batter in the 14th inning...jeez......

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job by Nate today. Because he went 9 innings and the Mariner's starter didn't, the Mariners ran out of pitchers in their bullpen, forcing them to play a catcher at pitcher when the Tigers had arms left.

It was frustrating watching these guys swing and miss on 85mph straight fastballs though, grrr.

401don

Post Number: 625
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After 8 hours watching Wimbledon, I had to go out for air and missed the last 11 innings of this one. 0 for 7's are tough on your batting avg.

Ravine

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw-RIGHT! No more C.C. Sabathia to deal with! Every little bit helps, dang it!
In a way, though, it's kind of too bad; the AL loses one of its premier pitchers.
Truth to tell, however, when it comes to Indian pitchers who have been thorns in our side, Sabathia wasn't nearly as scary as was that damned Charles Nagy, who slapped the piss out of us repeatedly during the course of an otherwise C-plus career...
By the way, a shout-out to Ggores, whose posts are becoming increasingly enjoyable for Yours Truly.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8343
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I leave town for a few days and come back to find out we're still down. Dagnabbit. I was hoping to hear that we had made up some ground on the accursed Sox. Instead we're still 7.0 out.

GRRRRR.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On air discussion today. Tigers must win the next 5 out of 6 or their post season chances vanish. What do you think? I hate to see it myself.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 929
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Stotter...they got one very convincingly last night. I'll be at the game tonight for my first game of the season.

Consider it a 1100 mile commute

20043_stotter

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well DMCC, I'm hoping for a win cuz your going to be there and a win for the team too.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 652
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers down 6-0 in the 6th tonight, and come back with a Miggy powered walkoff 2 run HR win in the bottom of the 9th, 8-6, pretty impressive, even vs the woeful Tribe.

Kudos also go to Guillen, esp for his defensive plays in the top of the 9th, Joyce going 3 for 4 with a 2 run HR.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on July 09, 2008)

Ggores

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The boys have accomplished what they were to accomplish, and the victory is only slightly diminished by the fact that Cleveland has pretty much sold themselves out, and trending back to the "Indians of Old". But it aint no matter - I can only begin to imagine what a great game was witnessed there at Comerica, which by the way, is beginning to develop the same historical significance as Tiger Stadium, which rooted its' historical significance in ... dammit, I can't recall the name of the Polo Grounds!

Briggs Stadium?!

Oy.

But back to the present. Sweet, sweet hustle and bustle rustled from the feathers of the Tigers today. Granderson can only run backwards so fast. But damn he came CLOSE.

One thing these guys have to look forward to, and know for a sure thing, is that there will not be much distraction about having to play at Yankee Stadium for their big suckfest. And ya'll know that the new Yankee Stadium is actually being built AROUND the old one. :-)

Gain some ground, Tigers, and then take a lil' break. Then we can start Season Number 2. It begins tomorrow.