Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you guys sure that isn't LBJ in drag?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Can't tell. The ears are covered

(Message edited by kellyroad on July 15, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a dead giveaway wouldn't it.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May he R.I.P

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would appear the Lions are cursed. Prayers for blessings would surely help, and yes KR, this would be right up St. Jude's alley. Perhaps a new votive candle every five days, and some directed prayers for intercession would help prevent some of their chronic problems, crushing injuries and painful losses. Personally, if I'm going to St. Jude for intercessory help in a seemingly hopeless cause, it's going to be for something much more relevant.

The problem is peoples' daily burdens, illnesses and problems are most often much more important and serious than having to suffer through another Lions' loss or another failed Lions' season. Hope and expectations are also usually very low. For many, I would imagine the Lions often don't even make their daily petition list.

They're not at the top of mine, but they're there.

Zitro

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any team that wouldn't sign Barry Sanders while still in his prime and let him retire and obviously has an owner who has a much bigger business problem than the Loins is one that is doomed to fail.

Now, if we could just get hold of the pics that Milan has on Mr. Ford and burn them so they wouldn't have a need to keep this sub standard GM at the helm, then they might have a chance. But until then, I'm taking a nap.

7andkelly

Post Number: 984
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what I meant when I said "hope and expectations are also usually very low".

The way they play, the game may be on the screen, but I'm falling into a nap anyway. Since the games are on Sunday, I'm often out doing something else, and not watching the games. I will try to catch them on the radio if we're out and about, but it often reaches the point where it's just one interception or one missed tackle too much, and we're back to music.

But optimism, if you can call it that, is higher in the off season, and I really do want them to be successful.

7andkelly

Post Number: 985
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm blaming Boss Ross and Barry equally. From my memory, Barry just walked away. But you're right. If I'm Ford, I don't let that happen.

And if the team's performance on the field doesn't embarrass Mr. Ford, I don't see how Millen's pictures would. They say it's lonely at the top, so I imagine he doesn't want to fire one of his few real friends.

That said, it would be nice to have someone in that position who would make better decisions.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, at least we have one excellent, one very good & one middlin' team in Detroit. Life ain't all bad. I remember telling my wife about 30 years ago that I wouldn't let the Lions ruin any more Sundays for me. The Spartans are another story. I still let them ruin days for me. I didn't go to MSU but my money did.

Zitro

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the Shock.

Maize & Blue all the way. I refuse to say the other U of M chant on this thread.

(Message edited by zitro on July 15, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever heard of this group or know anyone who sang in it?

http://judelaires.com/aboutus. aspx

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never heard of them at all.
as for sports teams in detroit, i will always root for U of M - not the wannabees in Lansing. Tigers always are in my heart - the Lions are just a tax deduction for the Fords. With all the talent they have had over the years, the best times they ever had was the chance of the playoffs - nothing more.

Zitro

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very wise to lay off of the hockey team laing very wise.

7andkelly

Post Number: 986
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Yes, heard of them...no, don't remember any members...might have seen them perform at Christmas at SJC.

7andkelly

Post Number: 987
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for GB, I agree Z. Thankfully he chose that name and not "MerryChristmas".

7andkelly

Post Number: 988
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468, you say the Tigers are always in your heart. How much in your heart were they when they had all those losing seasons in a row, and during the year they lost all their games (okay only 119 losses)?

(Message edited by 7andkelly on July 15, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably just in the left ventricle

7andkelly

Post Number: 989
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CMAO!

Zitro

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, momma JC should be rolling through Iowa any minute, I have a fresh bushel of sweet corn ready to throw on the train as she comes by in a couple of hours.

7andkelly

Post Number: 990
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. Please throw some corn in for me on her trip back. Thanks much.

Zitro

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem

7andkelly

Post Number: 991
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope someone don't throw momma from the train.

Zitro

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were reading my mind.

Zitro

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pre-game ceremony for the All-Star game.

Too bad Yogi called Joe Buck, Jack, but he gets a pass for being Yogi

(Message edited by zitro on July 16, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 992
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and not just because it would be a waste of good corn.

Zitro

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not buying my kids an encyclopedia, let them walk to school like I did.

-Yogi

7andkelly

Post Number: 993
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...an American classic.

Zitro

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH!

Guess what this is?

Zitro

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hint: It's not my hair stylist, nor is it where I bought my sheet metal or Italian sweets from.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess 1. List of advertisers for the St. Jude Calendar

Guess 2. List of advertisers for the Northeast Detroiter

Guess 3. Christmas card list for family business associates