Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do, it's all over the Eastwood threads.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, don't really remember the Riverside bikes tho do recall that was a brand name that Wards put on a lot of stuff.

When I was at St. Jude's, Gil Engels (who was later my boss) had a little motorcycle shop on 7 Mile at Hayes. He sold BMW, NSU and Horex. He later got the 61st (as I remember) Honda franchise in the world. I bought my first bike from him (a 250cc BMW) in 1962 at Eastland Honda. Worked for him at Northwest Honda through a good part of college. Great job for someone going to night school since I was in sales & could study if there were no customers.

Now for my rooftop story - though it's pretty hard to beat Z's stories.

Around 1965 a couple of buddies & I decided to rent a room at the Americana Motel on 8 Mile to drink beer & watch a football or hockey game. After a case or 2 of beer, it occurred to us that it might be a good idea to liberate the Mexican guy or his donkey from their enforced servitude on the roof. Gino climbed up on the roof while Gary and I balanced on the little 6" ledge below. Gino found that the statues were bolted down too well but that the concrete sombrero would come free. He pulled it off & handed it down to me. Being in a somewhat altered state, I didn't realize how heavy it was & just about went backward off the ledge. Gary slapped me back up against the wall thus saving me and the hat (which we later broke trying to wear it). Fortunately, that statute (or statue) has also tolled. Now you know why that guy stood bare-headed on that roof for so many years.

Zitro

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great story EB. I always wondered what happened to that sombrero. The symbolization of that guy and his donkey I think went right by a lot of people. For those that don't know it meant to bring your own A$$.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, wearing that sombrero must have given you a headache at least equal to a bad hangover.

Jcole

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone remember a scandal that took place at one of those cheap motels along 8 Mile sometime in the seventies? It had something to do with city officials or cops. It's been poking into the back of my mind for a while, but I can't bring it forward.

Zitro

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall something. gnaw, gnaw, gnaw.

Eastburn

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why we wanted it. A true eastside legend.

Incidentally, we planned on replacing it 10 years later then stealing it @ 20 years, etc. but could never find a replacement hat. One of my cohorts was a cop who flew the helicopter for an unnamed police department. Had visions of using the helicopter for the deed(s).

I'm still in touch with the guy, who continues in law enforcement up north. Whenever I'm in the area, I have lunch with him & some of his guys. The guys love to hear stories about their boss in his bad old days - and I'm happy to oblige them.

Jcole

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, there was a story in the Freep a couple weeks ago that made me think of you. Some Detroit homicide guys were on their bikes on the weekend and went up to Port Austin, where they met an old buddy at one of the local bars. They had a Freep reporter along for the ride. much to the discomfort of the locals, they sat in the bar swapping stories about various homicides and body (or partial body)recoveries while enjoying their beer and burgers. somehow, i wondered if you were that buddy. I know it's unlikely, but it just sounded like something you would enjoy

Jcole

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, yes, gnaw, gnaw, gnaw. it's driving me nuts. It's not the Algiers incident that I'm thinking of. It was at the Bali, or Whitehouse, or the one EB was talking about, I think

Zitro

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to figure out the name of the cleaners next to Aldo's. Was it Saunders? Chatham, I know it had the same name as something else like one of these stores.

Zitro

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indian Village? UGH!

Jcole

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember, I only know that my mother wouldn't go there for some reason, and it had a big front window where you could see the clothes on hangers moving on the conveyer.
the other cleaner on Washtenaw and Kelly was small and had a counter when you walked in, and you couldn't see the clothes in the back.

Eastburn

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc, never had hangovers. As long as you don't ever get really sober, you're pretty much immune. That puppy sure cut into your head when you put it on. Must have weighed 40#.

Wasn't me or mine in the Pt. Austin story but I'd bet anything they were at the Port Hope Hotel (Home of the Leroy Burger).

Can't recall an 8 Mile motel scandal (other than those I might have been involved in but those were mostly coyote incidents). Or am I in danger of sounding like the ES boys?

Someone mentioned Aldo's a while back. That was the only pizzeria around when I was a kid. Didn't go gourmet for quite some time, but sure was great when it did. Mimeographed menu at first.

(Message edited by Eastburn on July 18, 2008)

(Message edited by Eastburn on July 18, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 2547
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another question. Another thread is discussing the 2 letter prefix for phone numbers back in the day. What were your phone exchanges from Detroit?

Eastburn

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LAkeview

Jcole

Post Number: 2548
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My little Myra just got up from her nap, so I have to go change a diaper and do some cooing and gooing.

Zitro

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VEnice

Zitro

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: If you start talking about the days when goats and horses we're uh let's say some of your fondest memories we'll make sure to bring you back to the fold.

Zitro

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Was the McGregor Gang around in your day?

Eastburn

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't remember hearing the term.

We were pretty far north.

Off to Capt. Morgan's for some perch. Cocktails at the neighbor's first. Big whoop for me!

Zitro

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McGregor school was on Edmore just 2 blocks away. They must have banded together later. I was never aware of anything they did but the urban legend was you didn't want to mess with them, so we didn't venture too close to that area.

Maybe the school wasn't even built yet, I can't find when it was opened.

Jcole

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember McGregor being around when we were kids. I never did figure out why it was so close to Burbank.

Zitro

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Tom Glossinger and his older brother Bob were members of the gang. Dave Richards too. I think his dad owned a collision shop on 8 Mile.

Zitro

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burpbank (that's what we used to call it)was probably full and they were still building in that corner of the city.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Yes, it would be more presentable if Cabrera moved over to first base at a faster pace than that of Mrs. Wiggens...guess he's taking the advice to "be careful not to aggravate your injury" very seriously.

Z: I'm trying to catch up...in reading your question to J: "What's number 2"?, I can't see where it was mentioned above.

EB: Hopefully for you the statue of limitations has expired since you just confessed.

Nice rooftop stories.

Eastburn

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 year statute for petty larceny or malicious destruction of property, I believe, so I'm probably in the clear.

I'm not sure if there's a separate statue statute that would apply to my crime. But there were extenuating circumstances - I was drunk.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, well as long as there is no separate "statue" of limitations...

Zitro

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She never did mention her second point, she was too busy goofing off

7andkelly

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It makes sense now...thanks...it was starting to gnaw at me.

I just hope she doesn't forget about my delivery of fresh Iowa sweet corn.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...speaking of gnawing.