Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second of all, I just got done goofing off in Boulder, and tomorrow I'm going to goof off in Fort Collins, and Sunday, I'm going to goof off at Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park, and Monday....

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for validating my point.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Queen of the Slackers!

Zitro

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Tigers game is gnawing at me.

Jcole

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And third of all, I'm going to be very tired when I'm done goofing off, so I'll need to goof off some more and take a nap

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orioles...I cantstanzia...perhaps my longest running "long and healthy hate"!

Jcole

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're all just jealous.

Eastburn

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You betcha.

Jcole

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, well, it will all be over in a week, so after that, you can all laugh at me and poke fun

Eastburn

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do we have to wait a whole week? Can't we start a little early?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 696
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: You're lucky the cops didn't have a trigger finger. Funny how they filled in the bricks. For us Eastwoodians the Colonial bank was way too easy to climb...the air conditioner shroud provided easy access to climb to the first level. (ask the captain/owner of the Clinton River boat tours or LS who lived on Eastwood and Redmond) It was so easy it was kind of a hangout. Once in a while the neighbor across the parking lot or even Mr. or Mrs. Bass might yell out something like "What you guys doing there? You can get hurt."

Another TRIVIA question for the group (no fair peeking at the ad Z): The ad for Famous pizza has a partial ad on top for the world's largest Chevrolet dealer: What was the name of the dealer and what was the name of the movie theater across the street? (This might be too easy for some)

JC: Wasn't there an Edwards shoe store that specialized in kids shoes on Kelly? It had a raised platform and small chairs for the kids? Or was that Mullers?
Coincidentally, that was my dentist, Dr. Shipko, located next to the music shop.

Eastburn: Now that's a great story regarding the sombrero. You are lucky to be around. I remember passing that motel and my folks many times and we thought that guy with the donkey was pretty neat? I didn't get the undertone of that sign till later. I always thought that guy with the donkey should always be in the statement...."You're an eastsider if you know where the guy with the donkey is located." (Coincidentally, that hotel was right down the street from my cousins house on Hamburg near 8 Mi.)

Jcole

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, that was Mueller's. I had/have flat feet and used to go there for 'cookies' in my shoes. I remember sitting on that platform to get fitted. There was also a Junior Boot Shop up there, too, but we never went there.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 697
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: It was Junior Boot Shop I was thinking about. Didn,t they sell Buster Brown shoes?...completely forgot about Muellers (Put them on the list of places never been in)

Zitro

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our dentist was Dr. Phillip A. Cavity

Eastburn

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I'm not sure that even deserves a groan. Maybe an ouch.

Zitro

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you

Zitro

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone guess where these are from?

Eastburn

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome.

I'm going for a ride.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR.............certainly you don't mean Dick Shalla Chevrolet! and The Harper Theater right there too! (later turned into Harpos...a savature on signage)..........and you didn't ask but whatever happened to Poll Parrot!?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am guessing they are from the Church from when they put the altar in so the Priest could face the people.

Zitro

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice guess but no. First hint: They aren't from St. Jude

Eastburn

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guesses:

Chevy dealer: Marolis
Theatre: East Detroit
Concrete: freeway barrier.

Zitro

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freeway barrier? No, I promise it's from something more significant.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 698
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: dealer and theater guesses: No and No
Hint: notice the address

Z: brick from the Olympia (I'm color challenged so don't laugh if they're not red)

Zitro

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give that man a bubble gum cigar.

Zitro

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I jumped the security fence when they were tearing the grand old lady down and ran back to my car as the security guard was yelling at me

7andkelly

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sure trespassed a lot. Now I know why you moved to Iowa. You're on the lam!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the bricks were so holey, I assumed they were from SJ. Nice memorabilia!

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB was thinking of "Gene Merollis, what a great great guy!"..........located in East Detroit across from the the East Detroit theater..(still is I think).........the Merollis Chevrolet on 6 and Van Dyke is different...I'm still right on KRs' question..............

7andkelly

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"BELIEVE IN NOW"! Lions' season tickets are on sale now. Jul 24 - training camp; Aug 7 - 1st pre-season game.