Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 699
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7Kid: No, the car dealer on 6 Van Dyke was Ver Hoven Look at address again of Z's program

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR..........Ver Hoven!......I stood in front of that place every day for 3 years!....brain fog.................there WERE 2 Meroliss's weren't there?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2559
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the Vogue Theater. Was it Dick Scott chevy?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 700
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 KID: I believe there were 2 Meroliss's one on Gratiot and 8 1/2. I think the other was on the west side (not sure)

JC: Correct on the theater. Close on the dealer.
Hint: You got part of the name right and the initials are there.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 701
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7KID: I'm guessing you stood in front of Ver Hoven for 3 years waiting for a bus transfer on your way home from St. Thomas. That part on 6 Mile between Van Dyke and Connor has been rerouted for yrs due to the City Airport expansion. I think my dad got his 50 Chevy from Ver Hoven.

Jcole

Post Number: 2564
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, then, I'll grab 7&KKs other half of the guess and say Dick Shalla Chevy

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7-Yes being in possession of bricks from a building torn down 22 years ago have forced me to go underground.

They'll never find me or D.B. Sweeney.

Zitro

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I believe your itinerary has you going to Estes Park today. I love that creepy looking hotel they used in The Shining.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: At least you finally confessed, and now you have that load of bricks off your mind.

Sweeney? Sweeney's in Iowa? That guy owes me fifty bucks!

I sure hope the Tigs find their way out of Maryland...with a split. Orioles...I cantstanzia!

J, say hello to Jack for us.

Jcole

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to the Stanley Hotel before. I actually have a book about the various hauntings by previous owners, guests and the Native Americans that used to live there.
7, Red Rum, Red Rum, Red Rum

Zitro

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a Family Guy the other day when Stewie had Red Rum spelled out in his building blocks.

Robertson has got to go!!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 702
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: You got it! Dick Shalla Chevrolet (the largest Chevy dealer at that time). You get a gift certificate to Aldos or you can trade that in for what's behind door #1.

All: Right under our noses but never in: Lutheran High East .... Anyone else?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never in. Never knew anyone who went there. I believe they carefully set the start/stop times for ND, Reginia & LE so that there would be very little opportunity for cross pollenization.

Zitro

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the baseball diamond at LHE to see Eddie Feigner and his Court, but never in. Can't say I even knew anyone who went there either how strange is that. You would think the odds were with you to know at least one person. Where did those kids come from?

Zitro

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian Runge has an obvious agenda against the Tigers.

Jcole

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take what's behind door number 2.
Never was in LE, either. Or Dominican, Denby or Osborn.
I think they tried very hard to keep us away from the non-Catholic boys at Regina. And of course Dominican was alien territory for a Reginite.

Jcole

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We actually combined our Estes Park/Fort Collins trip into yesterday. It's about 100 degrees today, and the baby didn't need two days of car travel. Also, gramdma's got a migraine, so it's a hang around the crib day for all concerned.
I've got some cool pictures of St. Catherine on the Rock Catholic Church, and the St. Malo Retreat Center up near Rocky Mtn. National. It's really a beautiful place. I don't know if I can post from here or not, but i'll try.

Zitro

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Make sure you check out the Alluvial Fan in RMNP when you go if you haven't seen it before.

Jcole

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I've seen that before. It is very cool. I've been to RMNP 3 times in the last 9 years. It's kind of the fall back trip when we (my son in law) don't feel like driving really far. We (my son in law) have driven to Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Santa Fe, Taos, Silverton/Durango, Alamosa, Mesa Verde, Cheyenne, Laramie, Colorado Springs, Cripple Creek,Steamboat Springs and all points in between. With the baby, we didn't do an overnight trip this year.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Tigers win...fairly low pressure...Verlander can stay! Move Robertson to the pen if they don't ship him out by the TD. Trade Renturia, Sheffield, and Robertson and make my day. With Verlander, also keep Maggs, Tims, Grandy, Polly, Migs, Guillen, Pudge (for now), Gagaraga, Zoom, Inge, and most of the hens. I would ship Jonesy out in a heartbeat if we could pick up a lights out closer.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never been in LE, HWHS, Denby, Osbourne or Dominican or Austin.

Went to ND; been in Regina; Denby driver's ed bldg.

Been to Candlelite and Jays, and some dive bar on Celestine near Glenwood, but not Aldos. There was an Italian restaurant on Kelly...kind of fancy...went there more than once...name escapes me, but not in a gnawing kind of way...yet.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to Copa Friday to see the Tigs/Chisucks game.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've hated the O's since '69 when we won 90 and still finished a gazillion games behind. I've never liked the Whitesucks.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is everyone?

I'm just trying to stay awake so I don't get any bad dreams from all the "Shining" and "Red Rum" reminders from my friends Z and J.

I prefer comedies!

Jcole

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, where was the sort of fancy Italian place located?

Zitro

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only ate at Aldo's once and thought the pizza was too greasy. I preferred Fantasy then Famous.

7: Don't worry the Scatman took one for the team

7andkelly

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, I think it was near Chatham plus or minus a few blocks...definitely N of 7 and Kelly...maybe even had a singer on Saturday evenings...maybe an accordion player that used to walk around to the tables.

Zitro

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Was in the place that later became The Flying Machine?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing too.

How does Inge make that diving stop and throw with no problem? When he fluffs a pillow he strains his oblique!

6 1/2 back...we're still in it, but there is little margin for error...in my world, we're buyers, not sellers at the TD.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: maybe...it's starting to gnaw...I know someone who might know this.