Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Archive through July 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gg...

It was amazing....I laughed...I cried...I lost my mind when miggy hit the HR...

Stotter...

Twas a great game to travel 1100 miles for

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone please tell Pudge to quit crossing himself.

God ain't watching.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it makes Pudge happy, I can't complain.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8367
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray1936, what's the big deal if Pudge wants to cross himself? That's a call between him and the Big Guy upstairs. If it doesn't affect his performance on the field, who are we to complain? And if it helps a player hit .400 for the month I'm willing to bet you more players would do it too.

I think Jrvass said it best in his statement too.

Jrvass

Post Number: 817
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

I'd rather watch Pudge cross himself than the crack of the beer-sellers ass in the front row!

:-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3391
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, lighten up. :-) He can do what he wants, but he's having a bad year. For him. Two of those pitches in the 9th that he swung at and missed were way outside the strike zone.

Jrvass, gotta agree with ya.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8369
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw c'mon Ray, you're the one telling Pudge to quit the crossing. Not us. He's been on a downward slide for the last few years already. He's been swinging outside of the strike zone for awhile now. He can't milk a walk to save his life. What did you really expect from a 37 year old catcher? For him to be as durable as he's been has been a feat unto itself. Yes, he's a hall of fame catcher but he's definitely on the twilight of his career.

Jrvass

Post Number: 819
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Smogboy, I can't disagree. But he still throws out base stealers better than the kids coming up.

Yeah, his bat has tailed off. That Hawaiian guy Dane Sardinia (?), he has promise once Pudge retires to the hall of fame.

Catchers and goalies... can't find enough stupid people.

Jrvass

Post Number: 820
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW...

I'm an ex-catcher and goalie. I've taken a few knocks in the noggin!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 636
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That Hawaiian guy Dane Sardinia (?), he has promise once Pudge retires to the hall of fame.

Sardinha was out of minor league options, so he had to be "designated for assignment." Given his meager hitting skills, he could clear waivers, get picked up by the Tigers, and stashed back in the minors.

Jrvass

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever read "Bill Freehand Behind the Mask"?

Bill talks about getting whacked in the face by a fastball in spring training, 1969.

A good book.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 634
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like a 3 day trip to the D to witness 3 one-run losses to the Twinkies. Bad, bad weekend. Sheffield is officially toast. Just give him his $20 million remaining, pretend it never happened and put Joyce in the everyday line-up in right or DH for the rest of the year. If he hits decent Maggs or Guillen can DH next year.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce sure looked good today. Verlander and the rookies get them back to .500

Smogboy

Post Number: 8384
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One out of four in this, what was supposed to be a pivotal series against the Twins. While the lads did lose a handful of extremely close games, these were the games they pulled out a few years back. And as we all go into the All Star Break, I'm still not convinced we have what it takes to surge to the top of our heap- not just our own chemistry, but we also have to hope that the ChiSox & Twins take a tumble too.

Either way, I'm still gonna hope & cheer and just maybe (big maybe) we can make a game of it by season's end.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8388
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up 12-8 in the 9th and wouldja believe that Texas might not be able to hold off the White Sox? AGH!

Details forthcoming.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8389
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PHEW! Thank you Texas for not blowing it and giving our Tigers some headway. 12-11 though? Talk about making it close.

401don

Post Number: 635
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did the Sox expect to win with just 22 hits?:-)

Smogboy

Post Number: 8394
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is one of the toughest things as a Tigers fan fro me this season... knowing that they've done well and yet the teams they're chasing are doing just as well. This seems like the first time in a long while where both teams ahead of them have faltered a bit and we've actually gained a game. I hate seeing worthwhile performances by our team go to just keeping up, but then part of the frustration was early on when we just plain stunk up the joint. Instead of looking up at the White Sox 7 games down, we should've been neck & neck with them duking it out.

Such is the life of a fan though.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well smog, still in denial I see. They haven't done well. Look at their record. They are a .500 ballclub and 8 games behind. Is that doing well? Oh, I forgot, you support consistency, even if it's losing consistently. I guess you like them for losing consistently. If history is correct, they will not be in post season play this year. The W/L stats are just the facts smog and just the facts.

401don

Post Number: 643
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog does indeed like facts so you should provide them. Tigers are 7 games back.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8409
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20043_stotter, quit playing that fan hating trash with me. At least if I'm going to vent an opinion or have an observation as a fan, I try to use accurate facts (see what 401don immediately after your diatribe). I don't blame fans for team's ineptness on their loyal fan base whereas you somehow revel in the fact that you're somehow magically removed from and tower above the rest of us fans.

If you want to show us how "history is correct" then provide us with the data. Give us some ACCURATE stats to back up your claims. Some of us fans here like our stats, can rattle them off and are true geeks about it. Entertain us with your brilliance if you can.

If you seriously don't like sports or those of us that support our local teams, it's your choice... but why do you insist on wasting your time to insult those of us who do? Or if you really like to just pester and annoy us fans to get a rise out of us, then it says more about you than it does us. Were you one of those kids that also picked wings off of flies for fun as a kid too? Or are you salivating at the fact that the Lions' season is right around the corner and you're going to astound us with your oh-so-original spelling of Lyin's? Or lemme guess, you'll just sheepishly reply to this post with a smily face emoticon because I've called you out again.

Talk Tigers here on this thread if you like. I have no problem debating the good, bad and ugly about this team. Have an opinion about the team- I have no problem supporting your opinions, discussing them, or even graciously disagreeing with you about the team. But before you make a snide remark about me being in denial I'd suggest you put your mug before that mirror as well.

(Message edited by smogboy on July 15, 2008)

20043_stotter

Post Number: 408
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) :-) :-)

20043_stotter

Post Number: 409
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401, It was a typo error so, don't get your panties in a bunch. Tigers are nothing more than a .500 ball team. No Post season this year. Some sport news publication picked the Lyin's 3W and 13L this year and told why. Heard it on sport radio today. Can't wait. But back to the tigers, they don't have a chance and are not very good.

(Message edited by 20043 stotter on July 15, 2008)

(Message edited by 20043 stotter on July 15, 2008)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zzzzzzz

20043_stotter

Post Number: 410
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

401don

Post Number: 644
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somehow I remember the '87 Tigers starting 11-19 and everyone saying they were old and over the hill. They made up 3.5 games in the last week to win the division so I guess making up twice that much in 11 weeks would be impossible.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you willing to place a monetary wager that you bet they will win the division this year?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5108
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is piss poor to lose 3 of 4 at home against a team you absolutely need to beat. They've looked just that bad at various times, but have beat up enough on other teams to be at .500 . Seven games back at the AllStar break is surmountable.

The Twins will start making mistakes and their pitchers will get beat. They are peaking now, and are very good. They have talent and a good approach. But I think we'll pass them. The Sox are hard to gauge. The series in two weekends will be a good indicator of our chances.

401don

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I wouldn't bet on it but I would give the Sox and Twins about a 40% chance each and that leaves the Tigers 20% so that makes it worth watching and cheering (and a lot better shot than most of the previous 40 yrs I've been following).
You just have to think positive, like Morneau and Mauer are going to get injured in the All-Star game any second now.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack, I hope your right. It would be a real shame if we don't play good enough to make post season play. Looks like no chance at a wild card, so we have to win the division to make it.