Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royals are hot again, It feels like we don't have a chance against them this year. Minor starting is not a very warm fuzzy feeling, but it's better than Bovine.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The word "Italian" may be in the name.

Zitro

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ingenious

7andkelly

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad about Bovine. He had that one great game. Why Minor? Why? Why? Why? (insert whining sound here).

7andkelly

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Italian Tavern?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2576
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember an Italian place anywhere up that way. The only restaurants I can recall on Kelly were Aldo's, the banquet hall next to Alinosi's, Silver Dragon, Famous Pizza, and that's all.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there around 1977, and you left lower Michigan for Almont in 1973, so it was possibly something else before it was the Italian place.

Jcole

Post Number: 2579
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Arabic restaurant up on Kelly near State Fair now. It's called Steve's Back Room.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Don't know the name of the Italian restaurant on Kelly either. Was it there for a few years? What was the name of the dive bar on Glenwood and Celestine? I must have passed that place a thousand times. My paper station was on Mapleridge and Celestine. Of course that area east of Hayes had many Ma and Pa corner stores and bars....now many switched over to an urban prairie.

JC: I had ever intention to try Steve's Back Room on Kelly for some humus and shawarma but never did.....frequented the one on Jefferson near 10 though...Good food.

ALL: Eastburn's posted an interesting observation (in line with right under our noses but were never in) regarding Lutheran HS. Come to think of it. I really didn't know of one person that went to that school....plenty from the other nearby schools but not one and I mean NOT ONE kid that went there. You'd think since the school had a few hundred students during its heyday right in our neck of the woods that you'd run across someone or an acquaintance of someone who went there...Different worlds right next to each other. Anyway, Eastburn's comment was very interesting and caused some pondering. Any comments or observations?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The segregation is even more strange when we consider the marked similarities of the 2 religions. Some Lutheran services I've been to seemed almost like RC.

I could more understand the gulf if it were a school operated by a fundamentalist, pentecostal Christian church or any non-Christian group.

Interesting that it never even occurred to me to think about it until KR raised the subject.

Zitro

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here was a semi fancy Italian restaurant, but it wasn't on Kelly.

Zitro

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thread on DYes "why must people walk in the street" reminded me of something. When we were kids and first starting riding bikes we were told it was illegal to ride in the street. That was one of the first daring moves as a kid to ride in the street but you had to watch out for the cops. This had to me a parental scare or maybe not? If parents only knew how much skill was required to learn the art of "jumping the curb" without going head over heels they may have thought twice. This was almost as hard as learning how to flip a fence. I never got the hang of this art form until out of necessity I was in a friends backyard who had a dog who wasn't too friendly and I learned how to flip that fence like it was second nature.

Zitro

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a pool hall on Kelly I think in between Merit & Beno's/Quick Save. Anyone remember the name of it?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I was under the impression the "legal" age to ride your bike in the street was 12. Pushed it by a few years.

Didn't know about the pool hall, or Rocco's...did go to some pinball place on 8 Mile though...possibly close to Schoenherr..."Wizards"?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 704
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I remember the pool hall but not the name. I worked at Kelly's Kue (imagine that) in the early 70s, which by the way still is going as Snooker's, so I noticed the "competition" nearby. The one on Kelly you're referring to was very short lived. They only had a handful of tables. Okay I got to say it...It must have been a front.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: It was "Wizards" on 8MI near Schoenherr.

All: Under our noses but never in: Stouffers at Eastland....by it thousands of times but never in....a real "fancy" restaurant.

Jcole

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Kelly Cue. Was that on Kelly near Merit, or was that the one up north of 8 Mile?

Jcole

Post Number: 2581
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, didn't see your post, KR. You answered my question before I asked it.

Zitro

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I can verify it was a front. I know the guy running the place got busted for selling drugs out of there. It was definitely "low rent" compared to Kelly's Kue.

7: You're right it was Wizard's Palace. There was another arcade on Kelly during our H.S. days closer to State Fair. I know the guy that owned that was Tony Ingrao same family as the banquet hall but not sure if Tony's was the name. Any place that had a foosball table on the eastside I probably frequented more than once.

Zitro

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was Wizard's Pinball Palace

Kellyroad

Post Number: 706
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Kelly's was/is just north of 8 1/2 Mi. That place is still a meeting point for an old east side friend of mine 2-3 X per year. We usually incorporate a "drive by" in the old hood after a few games of nine ball.

Zitro

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: My impression of the "legal" age was 12 too, but was it?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 707
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The legal age to ride a bike was(is?) 12 in Detroit: True story: Some friends (St. Jude classmates) and I were racing down the alleyway along Morang on our way home from a Denby open swim. The Detroit cops managed to pull over my friends on Saratoga (I had ditched them and "escaped" down another alley) but feeling so guilty that I had left my friends high and dry I went back to the "seen of the supposed crime"..besides I thought the police would end up at my place anyway. So I returned and we were all asked "where you all going to in such a hurry?"...anyway we were warned about riding our bikes in the street (We were only 10 and 11 yrs old) and to get a license for our bikes. A trip to the 15th precinct station with my dad ensued and a $2 license (which at that time was a metal and clamped on the front of the bike steering column.)
Z: I know that doesn't come close to your bank story but that's all I got.

Zitro

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I was beginning to think I was the only one who ever experienced any nefarious activities as a child in the whole parish. I loved the "ditched" expression. I can't say I would have felt that guilty, but no doubt someone would have "pimped" on me.

I was thinking about this expression yesterday. "Don't be bogue"

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z..........."bogus".......the act of being bogue...don't know where it came from.I still use it though!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feeling guilty was secondary to being ratted out anyway. That was bogue man. The cops had ways of extracting info (maybe JC can chime in here) ............

On a related note: Does anyone remember some of the crazy fads during their St. Jude days?
Example: Back slappers (available at Merrits). They were sticky little labels you'd indiscretely "slap" on someone's back with the word like "My brain is like the alphabet..M.T.) or "Kick Me". They were about the size of a baseball card pack.
There was also the era when "rat fink" rings were popular (Z, btw, another word with bogue.."fink")..............
and of course, the name jackets available at Veteres hardware...blue jacket with 4 inch lettering of one's last name or nick name on the back

(Message edited by Kellyroad on July 21, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rule for the Blue Jackets - Guys had their last name - Girls had their first name.

Jcole

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad's way of extracting info from me was to just look at me hard. Cop-wise I think it had something to do with wooden night-sticks.
One of the girl fads from grade school were the Birthday Bows. Your friends would take ribbon and make a big bow with streamers and tape a piece of gum for every year of your age, and you would wear it on your bolero on your birthday. If you were popular, you'd have so many of those bows that you'd be pinning them to your skirt. I think the most I had was 2 or 3.

Zitro

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like dealing with "The Look" it was almost as bad as a beating.

Jcole

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With my Dad, the Look was worse. He could turn me to absolute mush just by giving me 'The Look' and saying' Well, if you just aren't smart enough to do any better...' when I got a bad grade.