Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the girls with those Birthday Bows but never tied it into popularity, pretty cruel when you think about it.

Zitro

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 you didn't chase laing away did you?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2588
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girls are by nature crueler than boys. They care more about popularity, so they will dis other girls so they look cooler to the popular people.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, it would take more than you slackers to chase me away. son in the naval academy left home sunday to spend 8 days on a sub between norfolk and florida. no contact with him in between, and with christophal doing his hurricane rath in the area of the atlantic he will be in, have been doing sone knee mail. been watching the posts. mentions about aldos - was one of the best italian places back in the day - sanders dry cleaners on the corner used to put match books in the pockets of suit coats - i found many in my dad's coats after he passed away - wasn't a smoker, but what can ya say. merit drugs was the best for tv tube tests - it was also the first plce i got a national lampoon - first time i bought one, thought i was buying a playboy. remember going into rollo's - i think that was the name - dad used to do our own plumbing and i remember the washer counter - amazing to a kid. anyone remember sweetheart bakery? seems it was owned or run by the libecky family who was a st jude family. comments - going to see the black knight movie tonight - heard it is the best ever.

12468_laing

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah legal age to ride a bike in the street was 12 - as i remember, had to have a note from the parents to say you were 12. believe it or not, had my "10 speed" till 4 yrs ago - am 50 now - sold it in a garage sale. had the bike license sticker on it from detroit. guy who bought it asked me about it. seems it expired in '73. told him to get over it, since detroit was the place "where the weak are killed or eaten. had that on a sweat shirt and put it in a silent auction and got $50 for it.

Zitro

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear from you again laing. Once you become part of us we worry when one of our herd is not heard from in a while. Hope your son is safe. Sweetheart was great in the day I loved their cherry strudel. I went there a couple years ago, not so good. I believe there is another one on Van Dyke, I hope they keep that one up better. So it was Sanders. Thanks for responding, I was feeling like I was being ignored. I used to bowl with Art Libecki I think he went on to be a baker with a bigger firm somewhere.

(Message edited by zitro on July 21, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 2589
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Rollo's is still there, at least the signage is. Sander's Dry cleaners. Thank you. Another mystery solved. Got my first Nat Lamp at Merit too. When I moved to Almont, they didn't stock a regular run of it. One girl in town bought it from the drug store in town, so I had to ask them to order an extra copy each month, bringing the total sold at Bowman's Drugs up to 2 per month.

Zitro

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it when in print someone says they're 50 it seems old, but when we look at ourselves it doesn't feel the same?

Jcole

Post Number: 2590
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because we are us, and they are them??

Zitro

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Thanks for the clarification (I think)

12468_laing

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hell, at my last doc's appt, he said i can't do at 50 what i did at 40. asked him if that meant when i am 70, am i dead? he laughed. yes, art libecki was the guy i remember at sweetheart bakery. his son david was in scouts with me and david was one of the first big winners when MI started their lottery. having a good time remembering all the old time from sjs and detroit through this site. also remember the music store up from tastee freeze where i bought a jaw harp or whatever they call it now. funny thing, in my inlaws christmas holidays, they have a "talent" show, and last year, i played a jaw harp - not the same one. remembered driving my dad crazy playing that fool thing after i went to bed. heard him screaming to me " cut the racket". by the way, kid rock has a new song out that ties 1986 MI to the fun times and a song, sweet home alabama. that video brings back some great memories. he lives in nashville, by the way.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it I always seem to get blamed for stuff. Laing's still here...see!

I'm crowding 50. Does that count? That seems old in writing too.

Zitro

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to ask you laing you got a twang? Reason I ask is I know the Civil War just ended for alot of them folk and I've spent some time down there and found it doesn't take long to develop a drawl. I figured it's a lot easier to blend in, instead of being marked a Yankee.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...he was still here...

Zitro

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you were the last one to ask him a question and he never responded so it was natural. Plus it's more fun to blame someone else. Tell you what, you can blame me for the next thing that happens okay? And yea if you're crowding 50 it counts. Join the club, but not AARP they have an agenda.

12468_laing

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea got to meet me some time. i always say the north won the war and the south is still fighting. i am still a northerner - eventhough this year, i surpassed my length in the north. biggest thing that gets me is someone goes into a restaurant, asks for a coke, and the waitress asks what kind - coke, 7 up or whatever....that is why we won the war. off to see the black knight.....

7andkelly

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too funny Laing!

Zitro

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Coke was invented as of the Civil War. Just watched the Ken Burns special on PBS last night and they never mentioned it being the deciding factor. That's why we need this forum to get to the truth.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must be starting to look the part. Ordered a burger and a coffee at McD's the other day and the lady at the counter rings me up for a senior coffee. It didn't faze me in the very liest...in fact, I'm thinking that's cool...I'm entering a privileged class now: "Hey bub, that's my parking spot. See? I'm a senior".

Re AARP, thanks for the warning...they're already sending me all kinds of s# trying to get me to sign up.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on July 21, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt Joyce can stay!

Zitro

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers made a Miner adjustment and it paid off.

(Message edited by zitro on July 22, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 2592
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kid Rock song is 'All Summer Long' and he lives in the norther lower penninsula, where he has his studio

Zitro

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

n

Jcole

Post Number: 2594
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's norther than Almont

Zitro

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you're talking like a Yupper.

(Message edited by zitro on July 22, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somehow I can't picture Kid Rock living up north, Ted Nugent I always got due to his love of hunting, but Kid Rock?

Jcole

Post Number: 2597
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid was originally from Romeo, and lived in Mt. Clemens for a long time. He moved somewhere north and built a state of the art studio. He used to spend his summers as a kid in the north. His dad owns Crest Lincoln Mercury, so he was raised with money. I used to work with a girl who knew him in high school

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, is that like a Yuppie Yooper?

Taking the sidecar down to Lakeport where some of the family is gathering. Hoping I can get Mom (age 93) in it for a ride. If I can, it will be on my FB page.

Zitro

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Yah it's like a Yuppie Yooper eh?

Nice to see you're back from your ride, didn't know you were going to Mexico and back.

Jcole

Post Number: 2598
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, have fun with that. I'd love to see the pics.