Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through July 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see what you mean about the delta. Never thought of that before.

It empties out right in the middle of the Huron City property. The open area to the east of the creek is the golf course (family only). Huron City is now controlled by the William Lyons Phelps Foundation & run as a museum. The foundation was set up by the descendents of Langdon Hubbard who founded the town. See huroncitymuseums.com if interested in "thumb" history.

When we go for our daily walks through Huron City we won't let the dog swim in the creek.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB/Jc: Uh huh Jc...blame it on the poor guy! Riiight! lolol Poor guy was likely just looking for a good time...led astray by a flirtatious 15 year old...uh huh!

After my summer romance with SG of Midland the next fall a buddy and I told our parents we were going camping at Sleeper...instead headed to Midland...I got to spend some time with her...my buddy and I pitched our pup tent in a city park in Midland...in the dark...unknown to us we pitched it about 10 ft. from a RR track...the train came through in the middle of the night...scared the living shit out of us...we woke up with this bright light coming right at us...can laugh today...took us three days to clean out the tent.

That story about laundry detergents and septic tanks has been around for decades...I think you're right EB...cow shit! I had a friend SW of A2...a dairy farmer...same thing...liquified cow shit he spread on the fields...run off like crazy into a nearby small lake...it was completely clogged with weeds and algea...for the same obvious reason.

I lived in Bowling Green, OH for awhile...same thing there...they told pregnant women to not drink the local water...I figured, not me either!

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 983
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, GB: They still fish in the river, but nobody eats what they catch. I’m surprised anything can even survive in that water.

GB: I know what you mean about ‘those people’. My first wife was from Lansing.

Goblue

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You of all people shoulda known better...thems real strange people what goes ta school or was born in that area. But...given my background with SE59 I ain't about to pitch a rock.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 988
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You're right. We both shouda knowd better.

Goblue

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I hate living in this glass house...would much rather pitch a pebble at least...but...don't think I'll do that.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, I've been to Huron City and taken the tour. It's really a very neat little place. The area is so quiet and peaceful. I also love Pointe Aux Barques.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Od: Weren't you the mayor of Ubly or on the council or you shopped at the IGA ... bring us up to date?

Jcole

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the matter ES, feeling left out?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, I assume you mean Pte. aux Barques Lighthouse Park. The real Pte. aux Barques is about10 12 miles west of the lighthouse for some reason. My place is between Huron city & the lighthouse. Just got back from our walk through Huron City. Packing the rig to leave for a rally in West Branch soon.

Jcole

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, yes, I meant the Lighthouse. It's gorgeous.
Enjoy the rally. When are you coming back? I leave Tuesday for 12 days but I'll be checking in periodically. If I don't talk to you, be safe

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 992
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: We try to leave ES out whenever we can, but he keeps poking his nose in anyway.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Can I come over and hang out with you older guys ?

Goblue

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is that ES never traveled through the Thumb....he knows nothing about Caseville, Port Austin, Pt. Aux Barques, Huron City...where the best and the beautiful were found...instead he hung out somewhere around Saginaw...and got shot at for messin' with another officer's daughter...the guy had a death wish. I think the MI State Police had a warrant out for his arrest...which is why he headed for Haight-Ashbury.

Jcole

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then he can never come home again, can he? Unless you think he'd LIKE Jackson??

Eastside61

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: I was shot at when 15 years old on a road that was somewhere between Glennie and Mikado (Alcona Co) .... at about 8 PM that night..... actually there were two shots fired .... My picture is still up in the Glennie PO across from the township hall ..... I am still going to hide here in the coastal hills south of San francisco - I will be in the state on 8/1 in TC ..... visiting with my 13th Tier school friends from MSU, U of M, WMU and NMU and others who just want to stop by ....come on up if you want ..... I will buy all the rounds for you that night.

Jcole

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's big of you, considering that I think I've mentioned more that once that I haven't had a drink in 15 years.
You've gone to almost as many and varied universities as my husband has. EMU, U of M, MSU, Oakland, Albion and City College of NY.Oh, and DCL for Law school.

Goblue

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: I think ES would looooooove a tour at Jackson...for the obvious reason.

Jcole

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought he might. I can put a call into the Traverse City Police Dept, and I'm sure they could help arrange the tour.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, JC: ES doesn't need the Jackson tour. He's already spent more time there than most career law enforcement personnel.

Goblue

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Don't know if I've said it before...congratulations...it takes real courage to become dry...I have at least two close friends who maintain...I've faced the demon at times of high stress...but not to that level...anyway...congratulatio ns.

When you call the TCPD...tell them to look for a guy wearing a wide lapel light blue polyester double knit leisure suit and black wingtips...drinking Bud Lite...he should be easy to find.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: GB forgot to tell you to look under the tables first. That should make him even easier to find.

Goblue

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I heard that Mrs. Sturm paddled ES back in the sixth grade for continually dropping his pencil so he could be under the table.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Congrats to you! and when the authors all get together over the book we will first thing give you a standing ovation .... you deserve it....

As for the TCPD ... what they are really worried about is that OD and Father Bananahead will be joining forces once again ... Since GB /OD have over the years were in various facilities ... they discovered that they can be 'stylin' in their orange jump suits ... GB asked a correctional officer once if his jump suit could be modified to have his ever popular Nehru look .... and Od is easily spotted since he cannot tie his Keds ... and they keep slipping off .....

ES61 Proudly, Supporting Individuals who get it done ....

Jcole

Post Number: 2489
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you all for the kudos. I am rather proud of myself.
Is he under the tables because he's passed out, or checkin' out the available merchandise. It will make a difference when I file my report with the TCPD

Eastside61

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: GB has zero manners and has never made it through a complete meal without being sent away from the table .... as reported 469 threads ago ... GB did learn this under the table behavior from a mentor teacher at Columbus - Ms evelyn Fruend who actually made GB sit UNDER her desk .... Od was expelled from Columbus and actually attended a special program at Carleton .... but we do not talk about it ever ... it might be the reason he moved to Compton, CA...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Which has the lesser penalty? ES claims that one.

Goblue

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: ES wasn't dropping his pencil under the table at Columbus in order break the lead...in fact, the way SHY told the story there was very little lead in the pencil anyway...but, that's another story...any time he's under the table he's tryin' to "check the merchandise". ES was droppin' his pencil...OD had a mirror on his shoe...these guys were quite a pair!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: JC went to St. Jude. You don't have to tell her about mirrors. She knows all about patent leather shoes.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: because GB struggled in graduate school he did the drop pencil and mirrors during most exams and finals ... but his real knack was the hacking cough trick .... cough and look ... cough and look ....and he could at least pass the class and maintain his 2.3 GPA...