Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Archive through July 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Guys,
There are 4 divisions for psl football:

D1 is Cass, Crockett Denby, King, and Southeastern

D2 is Cody, Finney, Henry Ford, Mumford, and Renaissance

D3 is Central, Cooley, Northwestern, Osborn, and Pershing

D4 is Chadsey, Douglas , Kettering, Southwestern, and Western

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub: Wow...the world has changed...never heard of Crockett before...beat S'Eastern! My first wife was SE59. Thanks for the update.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Fess up. SR was sobbing because she would have to do all the housework by herself if you left her.

ES: GB wasn’t good for much else, but he was a wiz with a mop and a bucket.

Cub: How do they determine the city champion? Back in the ‘old days’ public school champion used to play the Catholic school champion in the Goodfellows game at Briggs Stadium.

Goblue

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Actually...it was sobs of relief...we'd just discovered that she wasn't...back to Scott Fountain.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 984
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Wasn't what? Wasn't going have to do all the housework herself?

Goblue

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: If ya has ta ask...ya wouldn't understand...the worst fear of a eastside Detroit teenager in the late 50's-early 60's! ES knows...he faced Officer H's shotgun!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 987
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: It all depends on who she's involved with and how desperate she is whether it's good or bad. I saw the picture, and she didn't look desperate. So it must have been who she was involved with that caused her apprehension.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 587
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are two PSL Champs A and B Divisions.
Divisions 1 and 2 are A and Divisions 3 and 4 are B. I think they are arranged by enrollment. Not sure if they have the Goodfellows game anymore.

P.S. Denby played King for the A div. Championship last season.

Goblue

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub/OD: I don't think the Goodfellows game exists anymore. Go TARs! Don't let ES con you...he'll be trying to recruit your best kids to become Spartans...best that they become Wolverines...Champions of the West!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 989
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: In case you didn't hear, the big spending Wolverines and new coach Rich Rodriguez settled the West Virginia suit for $4 million. Rodriguez pays $1.5 M, U of M pays $2.5 M. The U of M tuition increase for 2008 was ONLY 5.6%.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Goodfellows went away by the early 60's ... My dad used to ref those game at Briggs .... but Boys Town found it to expensive to travel to Detroit ... Dad used to ref the city championship games for the DPS .... which was cool with three of his sons Denby students .....loved it ..... CUB: Crush King!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Goodfellow games usually have at least one Catholic School, and weren't they called the Soup Bowl? I think U of D played in it frequently, as well as De La Salle.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last Goodfellows game was actually played in 67'. Results were Dearborn Divine Child 14, Detroit Denby 7. Technically this would not be considered the early 60's but you were close.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, my dad was involved in those through his affiliation with the Old Newboys/Goodfellows with the DPD. We went every year back as far as I can remember. Always cold and snowy/wet

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother played in the 65' game for ND at U of D stadium the infamous 14-14 tie game. I still get chills thinking about how cold it was.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TARS: Sounds like there is new energy along Kelly Rd ....and I hope that the TARS end up champions. GB was the first two sports athlete in 59. Golf and Cheerleading.... check out your 59 navigator YB for both photos ... we are so proud of him and his pic for both still can be located on the second floor back hallway hall by the gym...... GB - You had a great kick and were a real leader...I hope you went on to higher rewards in education....

Goblue

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Golf was my sport...after Ed Budde ended my football fantasies...my connection to cheerleading was simply through my sometimes girlfriend SR...who was the queen of the cheerleaders in the late 50's...ES seems to be so hung up on HT who was the first male cheerleader at Denby...who knows...maybe ES61 is actually HT. The main issue here is that Denby's best become Wolverines...no need for them to attend a second tier school!

I think you're right Jc...the Goodfellows game was between the DPS champion and the Catholic league champion...maybe in earlier years it had something to do with Boys Town.

Z: You needed a pint of brandy to get through those cold games...that's what we did at Denby...candy was dandy but brandy resulted in more fun after the game. You really had to point out that Denby lost the last Goodfellows game, didn't you?...sniff, sniff.

OD: Money, money, money...so crass...it's all about winning isn't it? If Michigan wins the national championship that $2.5 mil will be chump change...remember the days when sport was about sport? What a sad state we've come to.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all: I will be scanning in from the '59 Navigator the pic in question. I think that it is also buried in one of these eastside truth threads that GB actually posted a pic of himself with the other cheerleaders ... I will be pointing out GB with the rest of the women of that squad .... rumor, that has not been investigated by the CSI 61 group that just met in Los Angeles in June about WHO HT really is and his actual street address west of Hayes. Does any of you know of a second tier school graduate who ever became a superintendent of any school district in the United States? If so please post that name and district- we will be having a chapter in the book about successful second tier grads....

Goblue

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Back at work with Photoshop, eh?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I'm the IT guy..remember??? ES uses scissors and glue.

Goblue

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Oh yeah...I'll bet his scissors are the blunt kind...can't imagine anyone letting him use sharp ones...and I hope he doesn't eat too much of that wintergreen flavored paste...that was a bad habit he had at Columbus.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FBHead: You and OD are still smokin' too many Blunts .... and GB used to steal the white paste and use it for styling his hair when he would go over to Farmbrook to do his chores at SR's home .... I think FBHead was the only 706 scout to get the 1958 Tidy merit badge ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: As he aged GB found that transparent Shinola worked better than the paste. He stocked up on a lifetime supply before they went out of business.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Does this mean I will need to take back the 5 gal. drum of white paste back?

Goblue

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: It sounds like ES is trying to make a fortune buying white paste futures. Maybe he'll corner the market.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Maybe GB can still use it for styling Tango's mane.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: According to the Am Horsemen's Association of AZ it can be used in sheath cleaning too .....

Goblue

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I thought you were eating the stuff...like you did at Columbus...Mrs. H...told our class to avoid such behaviors...she was concerned that her daughters might become "unglued".

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Obviously that didn't happen. SHY was definitely glued to ES.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: after all these years - "You Got that RIGHT! we pasted ourselves together on various occasions ........