Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Faircoma
Username: Faircoma

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cozy Corner---Yeah, all the local firemen hung out in that bar- didn't go there much- cops hung out at different joints--Remember the "Parakeet Lounge" by 7 and Hayes? My little sister used to call it the " Parakeet Lung" cause she couldnt read too well yet. It was across the street from Franks Nursery-my first job at age 16 in 1968. When my date picked me up after work- I smelled like the fertilizer they sold- YUKKY!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 734
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faircoma: Remember Parakeet Lounge very well but was never in it (I can put that in the category of right under our noses but never in). It was right next to Revco drugs. For some strange reason even as a little kid I was always intrigued by the neon parakeet sign that was in the window. Franks was always THE place to get Christmas decorations/Christmas trees especially after the empty lots on the northeast side disappeared.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 735
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: another great reply by JL

reporter Katrina: Was that the pitch you wanted Jones to pitch to J. Dye?
JL: You don't want a pitch that lands in the seats

Faircoma

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad-are you a Denby grad?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anyone here who's not a Notre Dame or Regina grad? We consider you an honorary Regina grad, JC.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NDHS 71,
My guess is that you are a Denby grad 70,71
BTW, There are a couple of Denby threads going on in the Mega East side threads. Also, there is an "Eastwood" and "Heilmann" thread that have long ago evolved into a chatroom mostly unrelated to the subject matter. Although the main contributors of this thread stray we try to reroute, at least occasionally, to the subject matter at hand namely St. Jude and the surrounding northeast side neighborhood. Hope you join in.
I lived on Morang then Eastwood attended Columbus then SJS
Street? Schools?

Faircoma

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tacoma, Burbank,Denby, Fairmount.Urban blight... Burbs.......

Faircoma

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I first posted on the Eastwood thread-

Kellyroad

Post Number: 737
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faircoma: Fairmount, Tacoma (Hence your post name) Burbank and Heilmann right outside your door. great neighborhood back in the day wasn't it?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: That question asked to the old man was just about as stupid as the one asked of Doug Williams at the Super Bowl years ago. It looked like he wanted to smack her. Any idea who that was, I didn't recognize her voice.

Who goes off topic??

Zitro

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faircoma: We have to shorten your name. Fair? FC? Anyway, I grew up on Liberal between Cordell & Boulder. There was a small market on Boulder in between Novara & Tacoma. We called it Frank's. It was owned by 2 brothers Frank & Rudy Ruggerri. They had a third brother who was a barber at the barbershop on Kelly & State Fair we haven't come up with the name yet.

This store had the sawdust on the floor and most families had credit there and they kept little spiral notebooks with each families names on them in cigar boxes. I think it was SOP to square up the account once a month.

Any recollections?

Zitro

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Come down off the ledge, We don't blame you for last nights' disaster. As long as Jones is our closer we'll rarely win the big games.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 738
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Let's stay on topic

St. Jude patron of hopeless cases

Re: question about Jone's pitch
That was by Katrina Hancock a local WDIV . sports anchor/reporter. Actually she is usually right on. But JL has a way to make "captain obvious" questioners look like fools. Remember in 06 during the division/wild card race with Chicago the question was asked to JL about the importance of winning the majority of the games and was cited the example if you win the next two you the Tigers could be only 2 1/2 out, if you lose you're 6 1/2 out...Could you comment on that? Leyland paused a couple of seconds looked up at the reporter and said "I didn't go to school to eat lunch, I can do the math" LMAO

Go Jets

ALL: Was there a couch, teacher, priest at SJ you recall that had the same no nonsense approach as Jim Leyland?

Sr. James Marie

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Z, I just needed some time to shake that one off.

It's not just Jones who's washed up. Sheffield, and Edgar Gonnaria Diahreaha Rent-urea have also seen better days.

On the bright side, Guillen is getting to be better at third this year than he was at short last year...not Inge good, but enough to keep him starting there, considering his consistency at the plate.

Migs is not half bad at first.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No couch...just unpadded pews.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Topic? On Cupid.
On Donner and Nixon.

Zitro

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor. It's a great elixir for what ails you.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: sorry bout the typo. Of course unpadded pews at St. Jude reminded you of Leyland.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I forgot I took a short drive-by video of your Franks after my visit to capture the bells and school. Now if we could just get them to cut the grass...

7andkelly

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Migs is not half bad at first"...what does this mean?

Zitro

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 7 for the pics. It was a Detroit News paper station for quite a few years after the market closed. That's where I bought my baseball cards. It wasn't hard to add a few packs onto the bill when I would get sent there for a couple lb's of beef, especially when it went onto the tab.

"Migs is not half bad at first"...what does this mean? We've accepted mediocrity as the standard?
He has been making some nice digs out of the dirt, I'll give him that.

Zitro

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC must be goofing off again. She'll probably make some excuse how it took her 25 hours to get home and she's tired or something.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope she didn't forget my corn.

Zitro

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well another 40,000 plus go home spitting nails

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I'm Heeeeere

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 324
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back. Hope you brought back enough corn for all. Assuming Z did his part.

Jcole

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was stolen by the time my train got there 5 hours late. At least, if Z did his part.

Jcole

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faircoma, welcome. Did you know either a Danny or Darlene David from Burbank or Denby? They lived on Maddelein between Redmond and Boulder.
Also, did you know the Stanton's on Fairmount?

Jcole

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 and Z, I remember that store. We didn't go there much, because we did most of our shopping up on Kelly, but I do remember going there when I was in Bluebirds/Campfire at Mary Diegel's house. It was really small if I remember correctly, and had a lot of candy

Jcole

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, no nonsense approach in a nun. Wasn't that all of them? I don't remember being able to get away with nonsense at anytime with a nun, with the possible exception of Sr. Joyce in 8th grade, but she was barely a nun.