Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital - 2 » Archive through February 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove around the area a week ago and took some photos for those of you who now live far away. In no particular order:

St Martin's (I take it there used to be a school building here that's gone now? - All I see is a church, rectory, and playground):

StMartin1

StMartin2

Someone mentioned the large, old trees in Lakewood and Brush Parks. Here are a few clusters in Brush Park. The photos don't do them justice, but when you see them in person, they definitely stand out as being larger than the others in the area. Must be the rich, moist soil by the river:

trees1

trees2

trees3

Canal looking east with Harbor Island on left, Lakewood (Angel) Park on right:

trees4

There aren't too many corner markets left. This one is on the northeast corner of Manistique and Essex:

market

The streets closest to Fox Creek and Jefferson have suffered the most from abandonment. The neighborhood closer to the river and from Guyton westward seems to be in good shape.

I wanted to take some pictures of your houses but a few of the addresses I jotted down are on blocks that have been redeveloped. The streets of Newport, Eastlawn, Piper, Coplin, Drexel, and Dickerson - between Jefferson and Avondale are occupied by a gated community called Victoria Park built about 15 years ago, containing nice single family homes in what I would call "suburban" style. Once this development was built, streets such as Eastlawn ended a block in from Jefferson, at Freud:

Eastlawn1

Now, the blocks between Jefferson and Freud are being redeveloped too, with housing, condos, and strip malls. This is looking in the opposite direction from the picture above, from Eastlawn and Freud looking back at Jefferson:

EastlawnFreud

Guyton School and it's rock with the new memorial plaque:

Guyton1

Guyton2

Guyton3

GuytonRock

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice picks Mike...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Mike, for these photos. The canal photo captures an exact scene from my memory bank. Nothing appears changed despite 40 years. The St. Martin's church photos are lovely to me too. I walked up those steps on a June day 40 years ago, on graduation day. I little thought that day about what life would bring - except more bright days. Its funny to be on the other side now - looking back.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful Pics.
I lived at 418 Manistique between Essex and Avondale. Plus We had a grocery store(Saad's Market)at Eastlawn and Freud, plus we lived at 786 Eastlawn. Also I was the last graduating class at St. Martin's(1970).

James Amato (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.47.247.222
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photo's MikeM. Yes there was a school building next to the church years ago. It was on the river side of the church. Just over and down a ways was Fishers Bridge which I knew it as. I worked, fished, played hockey, and hung out down there when I was young. So many nice memories. Guyton hasn't changed a bit. Going there for 8 years from 1948 through 1956 was the best time of my life. I hope they don't tear it down. I saved all your pictures Mike. Thanks again. I just got very sad about the whole thing. Geez.

(Message approved by admin)

Tim Mike Mooney (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.43.188.23
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Pictures! As a young kid, those stand of trees were my personal "Sherwood Forest." The picture of the canal shows exactly a spot that I fell through the ice. Boy, talk about memories... In my mind as a 10 year old, it was easy to imagine that life would go on forever and that my childhood would never end. I wanted to grow up fast and get out of school, get a driver's license, do adult things...Time seemed to pass like molasses. It took forever for summer to come, winter to end, and the time between birthdays saw the rise and fall of nations. Looking back, it all shot by way too fast! I thank each one of you for keeping the memories alive.
Mike Mooney

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.60.134.11
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Mike Saad

MikeM,

You have no idea the joy you brought me by taking the time to take and post those pictures. I am sitting here typing with the biggest smile on my face. Thank you.

Like Southwestmap, I too walked up and down those St. Martin church steps countless times as a young boy. We Martinites attended mass EVERY DAY of the school year, not to mention Sundays. I was an altar boy there from about 1958 until my sophomore year in high school - maybe later.

I went to the St. Martin church ceremony which commemorated the High School and Grade School that used to be co-located to the south of the church towards the river. Those buildings were torn down and the bricks were passed out to those who wanted to keep a physical bit of memory. I still have those bricks and they have moved with me from Michigan to Kansas; Kansas to Connecticut; Connecticut to New Jersey and finally back home to Michigan. My wife got a chuckle out of me packing bricks for the movers each time.

The 2nd picture of St. Martin Church is taken from the south and very likely from the land (or the street) where the high school and grade school used to be.

I have many reasons to recall that view, but the one that stands out most was when Kennedy was asassinated. I was on the student council and the nuns got me out of class very secretively. I knew something was seriously wrong - I could tell by the look on their faces. They walked me out the north door of the school and I was facing the church in the view of your 2nd picture when they told me that the president had been assassinated. We walked over to the rectory through the wrought iron gated fence, where Father William Hennigan, the pastor, had the TV on. We briefly watched the news and it was decided to assemble the students in the church for an announcement and to pray for the president and the country. I remember them talking about the fact that the "communists" may have killed the president as a prelude to a world-war! My "duck under the desk and cover" training came to mind. Yep. That view is indelibly engraved in my mind.

I can’t help but smile when I look at the pictures of Guyton School. The view is from Phillip Street and the Mery’s house would be practically directly across from there. I bet that view brings back memories for them too.

As a youth, although I did not attend Guyton, I spent nearly every day there during summer vacation (until I got a job.) We played pick-up baseball, horseshoes, and scrub touch-football. Some truly outstanding athletes and very good guys were my “play-mates” back then.

The horseshoe pits were arranged along the west side of the fence line – Marlborough Street. As kids, we were dismayed when it rained and the pits became muddy. What we later found out was that at the City Championships, the pits were constructed of WET clay, so there were no “skidding ringers!”

About the middle of Guyton, on the Marlborough side, there was a fence that demarked a parking lot for staff there. That fence was the “home run” fence for us young teen guys. The baseball “diamond” was arranged with home plate at the corner of Marlborough and Korte. The third base line ran along Marlborough and the left field fence was that parking lot fence. It was quite an achievement (back then) to hit a homer into that lot.

I remember thinking on many occasions how lucky the kids at St. Martin’s field (Hansen Field) were. They had REAL dirt instead of a gravel field!

If my memory serves me correctly, I was only inside Guyton o a few occasions – usually to pick up a volleyball or the horse shoes and stakes or some such thing.

Thanks again, MikeM.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1658
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you liked the pictures. I'll take a few more next time I'm in the neighborhood.

I had a sister who lived on Riverside Dr (extension of Drexel?) in the mid-'70s; that's how I came to know the area. I remember driving down Marlborough because it was still a brick street, not yet paved over. Someone told us that it was the last brick street in Detroit. Do the old timers remember if any of the other streets in the neighborhood were exposed brick?

Also, it's my understanding that the actor Charlton Heston lived on Marlborough during his childhood. Does that sound familiar?

One more question, I see a lot of tree trunks (all over town, not just here) near the street's edge painted white. What is the purpose for doing this? Aesthetics? Insect control? to keep the bark from splitting?

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 130.76.32.16
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Mark Colden:

This is a duplicate message I posted on another page of this site. I wasn't sure if it was the correct page to post to, so I posted to both pages.

This is Mike Carrick - the other missing member of our Chalmers gang, ex-Guyton Alum. I lived in Lakeside Trailer Park from 1949-1956. It was you, me, Harry D., Eddie M., & Frank C. Remember, we were the "Cheetahs". I came across this wonderful web page while doing LTC research for my sister. What a rush of memories! All these old names,
places, and events. Wow! What a rush. I hope you are well. I have such fond memories of how kind your family was to me. I could fill pages....

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 130.76.32.15
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Lakeside Trailer Court from 1949-1956. Gads...can it be that long ago. I was in elementry school during those years. I do remember a somewhat close knit community of trailer dwellers who shared many common events. I remember how muddy the streets were in the winter. We heated with a single oil drip furnace with no forced air. Many a cold day. We always had wonderful summers around the lake front and canals, swimming and innertubing. Our lake front swimming spot was adjacent to the lighthouse of the hospital grounds. We would scale the metal ladder on the face of the lighthouse breakwall and jump into the lake from its elevated platform. We would paddle the waterfront and up and down the canals in our innertubes for endless hours. All the many freighters sailing the lake, what a sight. The outboard hydro races that raced from the yacht club next door to Belle Isle and back. The hugh ice jambs in the winter. I had an Eastside Shopping News paper route in the park and on Klink Island. We also spent a lot of time hanging around Tommy's Boat Livery. Tommy and Josie were two of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They were always patient with us. They let us help dock and tie up the boats when they came in. Whenever we had a good summer rain, we would go over to the hospital lawn with a flashlight at night and hunt for nightcrawlers. We would sell the nightcrawlers to Tommy at two for a penny. I remember Josie would extend credit to my mother for food when times were tight. I used to marvel at Josie when she would add up the grocery bill by writing down each item's price on the side of a brown paper bag with a pencil and then add up the long column of numbers at lighting speed. I always thought she was a genius because she could add so fast. We used to play "army" in the field across the street on Riverside Dr. On Holloween we made sure we would go to the big white house opposite the park's main entrance. When the owner opened the front door to give us candy we could get a quick glimpse of a WWII Japaneese flag mounted on the wall over the fireplace and a mounted souvenir army machine gun sitting on the mantel. We weren't as interested in the candy as we were in the seeing the souvenirs. We used to try to shoot carp in the canal off the bridge with our home-made bow and arrow. We built a tree house in a tree down by Angel park. When we decided to experience smoking cigeretts in the tree house one day, we accidently ended up setting the tree house on fire. So much for smoking. We used to go over to Grosse Pointe Park and try to sneak over or under the fence to go swimming in their park pool. These have just been random thoughts as they came to mind. Riverside Trailer Park was truly a unique experience for young kids growing up in those years. Although it may have lacked paved streets and sidewalks, front lawns and elm trees, it did offer a water front "Huck Finn" kind of existance that was quite memorable.
What a great web site. A wonderful repository for memories.

Audioswhite
Username: Audioswhite

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just reading this mega-thread and was getting ready post when I realized mst of these posts date back a couple of years. Oh well. Grew up on Marlborough (the brick street) between Essex and Freud (1965 -1984) Yes Charlton Heston spent summers on Marlborough, in my old house! 584. It is still there, beautiful hand cut field stone with great porch. His stepmother taught at Guyton (as did my aunt) He spent a couple of summers visiting.

I went to Guyton for k and first grade. Older Sibs all went to St Martins until it shut down. I wrapped G-school at St Ambrose Elem.
Saw St Martins Parish through to the end. There is still a tight group from St Martins that attend St Ambrose.

Lots of great memories of the neighborhood.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Audi,

My dad owned the Grosse Pointe Beer Store and they used to actually DELIVER BEER to people in their homes. He told us that they delivered to Charlton Heston. Was he old enough to drink when he stayed in your house? Cool!

Ron_saad

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the last High School graduate class at St. Martin's in 1970.

Fredn
Username: Fredn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just became aware and approved for this site. Fred Naseef of 458 Lakewood. After seeing Mark Colden, Jim Amato, and Mike Carrick I knew it was familiar territory. MikeM those are great photos of Guyton and St. Martin. Attended a ceremony in 2005 dedicating a new plaque for the "rock"at Guyton...also toured the school courtesy of Sharon Donohue (DeSantis). The school looked great inside...anyone remember the Indian print on the 1st floor hall? Attended a mass reunion at St. Mattin . must have been 10 or more years ago.....SRO....breakfast in the basement.....
Jim Amato didn't we bump into each other in Troy?
Mark Colden . I'm glad you didn't completely reveal my embarrassment. I moved from Lakewood in 1966, two years later my family moved.

Elaine_hamby
Username: Elaine_hamby

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if Faith Lutheran Church is still open/standing? Corner Jeff and Phillip?

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E-H: Go Blue who adds various insight on this site might know....check out the Denby or heilmann thread on DYes forums and list your question...

Fredn
Username: Fredn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Elaine Hamby: The church is still standing, but I am not sure if services are being conducted.
If Mark C or J. Amato still check this site please respond.

Fred N.

Elaine_hamby
Username: Elaine_hamby

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Eastside 61 and Fredn. I haven't seen any photos of the church in the ones Lloyd has posted, so assumed it had been torn down. I went there as a kid and had all my confirmation classes there.
Audioswhite, who was your aunt who taught at Guyton? I remember Charleton Heston's stepmom very well, Velma Carter. She taught me all through my years at Guyton and directed a Christmas play that I was in. I remember she got Heston to come to the school one day to sign autographs. This would have been the late 50s, the height of his fame with Ten Commandments. My mom went to Mrs. Carter's house for a parent-teacher thing (I think to plan the play, in fact) and she saw all these photos of Heston on the wall and some of the moms were there in their fur coats and best outfits and my mom wondered why they were so dressed up. When she found out that Mr. Carter was Heston's dad, she figured the moms dressed for a cocktail party were trying to get into the movies!

Audioswhite
Username: Audioswhite

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt, Ms Mary White taught at Guyton, although not at the same time as Mrs Carter. I want to say she would have been teaching in the 60's, first or second grade. She was there when I was there, 1970, 71. I couldn't be in her class, so I had Mrs Sour (SP?). I'll be in for the Holidays, I'll have to quiz my surviving aunts.

Here is pic of our house on Marlborough, where Mrs Carter lived and Heston visited. Taken this past Memorial Day weekend.

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder for new and old visiters to this site that I have Mr. Weitschat's address where he lives now to send him greetings for the holiday season. I know I posted it before. Goodness knows where it is buried. Please write to this dear man and keep the memories alive:

Mr. Willard (Bill) Weitschat
Christwood Hills Dementia Care
3735 Yorkshire Dr
Traverse City MI 49686-7202
Phone: 231-932-2051

To all the people I knew in the old neighborhood, both St. Martin and Guyton people, I wish you all a great Thanksgiving!

Brenda

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted the following on a "detroit" site...wonderful if the people of Detroit will take the city back before it becomes a ghost town and all that we have here are memories........

recently left Detroit (Michigan) to work/live in another nearby state. I had enough of the high taxes, housing and long commutes. My choice was personal and economic. I still have family and many friends in metro Detroit who I love dearly. When I heard that Detroit regained the title of "Murder City"....I was saddened. It seemed to be the nail in the coffin so to speak after the recent news of business's leaving, foreclosures and criminals still running the city and state. There are wonderful, good and decent people who still live in Detroit and don't kill each other...power is in the people. Get rid of the criminal leaders, city, council and state...take Detroit back...don't let the recent news media blitz on Detroit turn it into a ghost town. You have the power to make miracles happen. Don't let the media bring up the riots of 40 years ago to add to the recent statistics about Detroit as a catalyst to destroy this city. If you stand back and take this recent news posting, then you will prove them and the world correct..that Detroit is the Iraq of America...don't let them destroy Detroit

Brenda

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Lyle and other Guyton people: I spoke with Mr. Weitschat today and he would love to get letters from his former students. Here is the address again:

Mr. Willard (Bill) Weitschat
Christwood Hills Dementia Care
3735 Yorkshire Dr
Traverse City MI 49686-7202
Phone: 231-932-2051

I do hope in your busy schedules you can take a moment and write to this dear man.

Davedoc
Username: Davedoc

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone still come to this site, I check it out often but it seems dead or at least in need of life support

Ron_saad

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad it's a good site.

Brenda

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is a good site....where did the gang go? Maybe the cold temps have frozen the old neighborhood thoughts.........hope not.......

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 861
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the George Wood family that lived on Chalmers below Jefferson - George Wood was Gar's brother and I think George's grandson still lives in the house......

286marlborough
Username: 286marlborough

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Avro Vulcan

[Note to moderator. This photo was taken from the Wikipedia site. There were no photo credits or restrictions on its use.]

Hi again Mikem and all,
I found more information about the Detroit plane crash of 58, including the names of the crew. Here is a picture of the type of jet it was, a Vulcan B1 XA908, first built for the RAF in 1952. You can learn more about this type of aircraft at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Vulcan . If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can even see a video of how it sounded and moved, which is pretty eerie actually. I was always thinking “plane” not “bomber.” At one point, the RAF used the Vulcan to carry nuclear weapons.

The aircraft was traveling from Goose Bay, Canada to Lincoln Air Force Base in Nebraska on a good will mission. The flight originated in Lincoln, UK, so it was a Lincoln-to-Lincoln mission, with letters from one mayor to the other. (I wonder who thought up that vital use of tax-payer money.)

Just seconds before the crash, the pilot, Flt. Lt. John Willoughby-Moore, radioed Kellogg airfield to report a complete failure of the electrical systems and to request an emergency landing. The plane was traveling at around 30,000 ft (another report says 45,000 ft) when the system failed. The backup system (battery) should have provided 20 minutes of power, which would have allowed the aircraft to land safely at Kellogg. But due to a short circuit in the service busbar, the backup power only lasted three minutes. Without power, the aircraft controls were locked. The XA908 then went into a dive of between 60–70 degrees before it crashed into our neighborhood, leaving a 70 ft deep crater in the ground. The crew included:

Flt. Lt. John Willoughby-Moore. Pilot.
Flt Lt. Brian Peacock. Co-Pilot.
Sqdn. Ldr. Harvey J. Scull. Navigator.
Flt .Lt. James D.Watson. Navigator.
F/O. Anthony D. Baker. AEO.
C/T. Edward C. Evison. Crew Chief.

All six were killed. Only the co-pilot, Flt Lt. Brian Peacock, was ejected from the aircraft, via a rocket-powered ejection seat with parachute. Some reports say that he landed safely in Lake St Clair but then drowned because he wasn’t wearing a life jacket and couldn’t swim. Other reports say his body was never found. My question is, did someone see him land “safely”? If his body was never found, how did they know whether or not he was wearing a life jacket, or that he drowned for that matter?

Four of the crew did not have the ejection-seat option. According to Wikipedia:

”The Vulcan had a normal crew of five (two pilots, two navigators and an Air Electronics Operator (AEO), with the AEO responsible for all electrical equipment. Only the pilot and co-pilot were provided with ejection seats. This feature of the Vulcan has been the basis of significant criticism; there were several instances of the pilot and co-pilot ejecting in an emergency and the "rear crew" being killed because there was not time for them to bail out.”

That’s all I know so far. There is a short discussion about the crash on a thread for pilots where you can learn more. It is: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261909

Here is a short quote from that board:

"OCT. 24, 1958: A British Royal Air Force bomber jet -- trailing smoke and flame and its pilot calling out "mayday" -- crashed on Ashland Avenue near the Detroit River on the city's far east side. All six crew members were killed. Three homes were destroyed and about 40 others were damaged. Wreckage was scattered into nearby Grosse Pointe. No one on the ground was killed; two women were treated for burns.

The four-engine delta-winged plane was on a training mission, flying from Lincolnshire, England, to Lincoln, Neb. Crippled, it dived from 45,000 feet, passing over hospitals and schools on its path to the ground. The impact was so hard that searchers dug 70 feet in an unsuccessful effort to find the plane's cockpit. The largest piece of wreckage found was a 6-foot section of wing that landed on a porch."

286marlborough

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faith Lutheran

Philip

Elaine,
Here are two fairly recent pictures of Faith Lutheran. I checked and the church is still open.

286marlborough

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr Weitschat Photos

Someone asked for pictures of Mr. Weitschat. I found a few -- but he's on stage in all of them. The parent/teacher association at Guyton used to put on musicals -- and even made a silent movie that they showed during the Guyton Fair every year. I think Mr. Weitschat was in that, too.

286marlborough

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! I was able to find a copy of “The Guyton Story” (1959) in 16mm format. A big THANK YOU to Kitty Fisk, who put me on its trail, and to Leslie Farbman, who protected it all these years. I am in the process of getting it digitized and onto DVD and will link to it from here if I can.

Kitty’s father, Bob Fisk, wrote the script and arranged for the filming with the Eastman Kodak company. He wrote and produced movies for Ford -- so the production quality was great, even though the cost was minimal.

Leslie’s mother directed the movie and came up with the creative camera angles. For example, in one scene, she shows Mr. Herman from the perspective of a five-year-old, making Mr. Herman appear even taller than he was.

The story takes the student’s point of view, from kindergarten through 8th grade. It’s a little slow moving by today’s standards, but only because Maire felt it was important to capture as many kids as possible for as long as possible. Just about every Guyton kid who wasn’t absent on that day is in it. And, even if you can’t find your own face, what makes it phenomenal is seeing all the rooms – the gym, the library, the science room - and all the teachers as if they were frozen in time. Mr. Curry is yelling at kids on the playground. Mr. Herman is doing a science experiment. Mr. Fiondo is teaching math. Mr. Weitschat is in full uniform and Mr. O’Brien is laughing at the camera. (Remember Mr. O’Brien entering the Social Studies room, slamming the door and yelling “Achtung, Schweinhunds!” (Attention, beasts!).

I was really moved by the text on the can of film, probably written by Bob Fisk.

“The Guyton Story – 1959
16 MM color sound motion picture
Time: 23 minutes
Sound: Magnetic Sound Track
Projector: Eastman Pagent MK4 Magnetic stripe sound track
Produced by: Guyton Parent Teacher Association

Purpose: To portray graphically the growth of a child mentally, physically, spiritually, from the time he enters elementary school until he graduates. To reflect the pattern and tone of school life in the Detroit Public Schools and in the Guyton School in particular. To instruct and reassure parents of newly registered children. To promote and cement school-community relations by reaffirming and restating the countless advantages of tax-supported public education. And last, but never least, to illustrate how much can be done, through cooperation, love and affection, and mutual interest between teachers, parents and children to make of a middle-aged inanimate institutional building a beloved symbol of community life.”

Thanks again to Kitty Fisk, Leslie Farbman, and their fabulous parents for making this happen.

(Formerly Beverly Brightwell)