Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through June 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I forgot to post the Memorial Day Service.
Monday from L.6 at 09:00.All are welcome

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CORRECTION Date for the Field Day is Sunday August 10 th. SORRY, TONY

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know if the fireboat will be in-service for this weekends air race?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the fire boat is in service this weekend. I believe it will be detailed to the air races and released if needed for a fire incident.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 394
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Craig, what happened to your post?

Ffdfd

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey Craig, what happened to your post?

I missed it. What did Craig post? We can't have those copbrats (to paraphrase a Detroitteacher term) crashing our good thread. We gotta have standards here. :-)

(Message edited by ffdfd on May 31, 2008)

Dfd

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well earlier on the discuss Detroit page, across from "firehouses" there was an entry from craig. When I clicked on firehouses his post wasn't there. I figured maybe he accidently posted it on a previous page.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was probably a ruse to join a focus group.

Dfd

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some new pictures on the firefighters website.

pictures

Chiefkoz_jr
Username: Chiefkoz_jr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all new to this posting...great flood of memories, I was stunned to hear about MADDOG he was like an uncle to us kids. My Dad is Chief Koz, I am currently Chief of Public Safety in Alabama.
I spent most of my time at fire HQ, with Dad. I remember when I graduated the fire academy and took my fellow suburban firefighters to spend the day to ride with "Detroit Fire". My Dad a capt. at the time greeted us with in a smoking jacket, with his badge pinned to it, a ascot around his neck and sent a firefighter to fetch his slippers! What a Cad!. Glad to see so many other fire brats here, anyone else dumb enough to follow in Dads footsteps???

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - just came back across this and thread and saw that I got blown out. I'll say it again, but delicately this time...

"Fireboat is in service this weekend"

I suggested that everyone on the boat better be on good behavior because DFD Administration would be watching, i.e. likely no toleration of "training cruise" hijinks. BTW - what in the hell really happened to that rig that got a little sideways after the stop at Reedy's?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiefkoz-jr,

I REALLY wanted to follow Dad's footsteps though Dad REALLY didn't want me to. The first year they allowed women to apply, I was working for MaBell and walked to the City County building to get an application. Unfortunately, when I read the physical test I gave up. You had to be able to carry about 60 lbs. of line up and down five flights of stairs with two 50 lb. air packs on your back. At 5'2" and 100 lbs. didn't think I would stand a chance.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironic, isn't it, that the buildings on both sides of the old fire house in the Sanders St/Oakwood area have been damaged by fire and not demolished. The former firehouse remains unscathed!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm: Funny, I always wanted to follow in my dad's footsteps, too. He said he'd disown me if I even tried. Back then, women were harassed something fierce on the Dept. and there were very few women, anyway. I am glad he was so adamant about it, I couldn't imagine doing anything else than what I am doing now. I really think I would not have been able to handle dealing with the deaths of any kids...it was always difficult for dad when kids were involved and it troubled him for weeks after.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GEEZ, KOZ JR. Can't anybody in that family get an honest job ? Dad was very good to me over the years. Where you with us at the boat ?
Craig, it was Casey's. I'll tell the story when all involved are collecting pensions or the statute of limitations expires.
Frankenmuth Muster will be last Saturday of July.
Koz Jr. remind dad of 31's 100 th. celebration.
July 19 th. Len is coming in. He will have 31's
'38 Seagrave. TONY

Dfd

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiefkoz-jr, welcome to our "little" forum. Over the past 2 years the posters have posted tons of invaluable (is that the correct spelling) information! If you have any photos or stories, we'd love to see them.
Dfd

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Koz Jr...welcome! Our "little" thread has been great and one of the few with no bickering. We are all family on this thread so feel free to post pics and talk about the good ol' days.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Firebrat shirts MIGHT appear at the next Field Day at the Zoo (at least I hope so).

Dfd

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That will be great if they are. The designer has been asking about them.
Dfd

Chiefkoz_jr
Username: Chiefkoz_jr

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys I am a artist like Pop but more of a cartoonist, I had works in fire rescue magazine before they changed format, I would lOVE to do something for ya

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to thank you folks on this thread for the link to the old firehouses. WOW!

Being a builder's daughter, I got to thinking about old firehouses that have been renovated into housing. It would even be better if they were moved to a couple of blocks, like a little neighborhood of them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03 /20/garden/20firehouse.html

Spending millions is not necessary to preserve history plus help someone have a home. The buildings are already solidly built. The architecture would blend in with existing neighborhoods.

Plus, that would be a great tourist attraction! Do you think it would work?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought about renovating an old Firehouse to live in...but I am but a lowly teacher and don't make the funds needed for such a project. I always thought it was a neat idea. I'd LOVE to tour a group of homes that were former Firehouses.

Koz, Jr. We have a great design for the firebrat shirt and it has been submitted to the t-shirt guy. We just haven't heard when it will be ready.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd thought I'd share a few things with fellow firebrats. My grandfather worked in Civil Service for the COD and his job was to maintain the fire boxes around the city although presumably the eastside. This has been in my family since I can remember. I do not know the genesis of how it was attained, but I always assumed it came from him. We used to have it mounted on the back of our house on the eastside and periodically kids would sneak through our backyard and pull it. We would keep it wound, so the internal bell would go off if pulled. It lead to some amusing moments, seeing their reactions.

fb

Zitro

Post Number: 649
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father served on the DFD for 27 years and we had these brass DFD door knobs forever too. I hoe you enjoy.

dk

Zitro

Post Number: 650
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my father passed away I donated his boots, helmet & jacket to the McDonald family who owned the Firehouse restaurants but I kept his Lieutenants shield form the helmet.

sh

Dfd

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On one of these pages are pictures of firehouses that have been turned into private residences.
That would be great. I would have to get an antique rig to put in one of the bays!

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're still around. I live in a suburb of Houston and worked for our city Parks & Rec, sharing our space with Station #1. They had two old rigs out in back. One from about the 20s, and one that looks like 40s. I took these pictures on my break.

Since then, Parks & Rec moved and Station #1 has the whole building to themselves. I don't know if the rigs are still there or not. But these pictures are really cool, I thought, esp. in B&W.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another busy day in the D at work yesterday. While the Red Wings fans were celebrating, the D was burning in the Merrick/Buchanan/23rd St. area...the local firebug was having his way with us. DETROIT- the city where burning vacant property never goes out of style.

Perhaps he wasn't a Red Wing fan? Or maybe he WAS a RW fan, and was pissed that Kwame showed up at the rally?

Or maybe he was just an arsonist.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 814
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, I live right around the corner from this station on Moran and Grand.

This was your post below

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:33-------------------------- -
Detroitteacher,

Brandy, the dog from Grand Blvd. and Moran, came to live at our house. He was part shepherd and part chow and looked like a red lion with a curly tail and black tongue. He smiled (a toothy sort of grin) when you pointed your finger at him, and he loved raw hot dogs. When the fire alarm went off, he would run into the middle of G. Blvd to stop traffic so the trucks could get out. He was also, apparently, the neighborhood stud.

How long ago was this that you had the dog. Im just curious. I had a chow from the streets around there also, name was Farnsworth, (I found him and lived on Farnsworth) What a dog he was. I miss him every day, him and Django. my other wonderful dog whose buried in the Rite Aid parking lot next to Churches Fried Chicken on Woodward and Forest.
Sorry to get off track folks. Id bet these two chows were related though. Id love to see a pic.

I also just noticed an old firetruck for sale at city scrap on Mack, I called to see how much they wanted but aparently the guy who sold it to them now wants "the nose" as he called it I believe??? then there going to scrap it if anyones interested.

Dfd

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an interesting post below.

Fire at Harrison and Pine

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7051: Just stay safe out there!