Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, maybe laing can go where no man has gone before. Wish him luck on his deep space mission.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if I can manage to tie in Yertle the Turtle.

Was it the Americana before or after it was the American? I recall it having both names.

Tile showers, no less.

Eastburn

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, spacey - yes. Deep - not so sure. Unless we're referring to the depth of the manure both literal & figurative.

Jcole

Post Number: 2717
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than cement or, worse, dirt.
I paid a lot of money for a room on Mackinac Island back in the late 70's and it had a cement pit shower in the bathroom. I felt like I was camping in a very costly cabin.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Good one - Cesspool fits it to a tee.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

had to think about what ya meant by the cesspool, and have figured it out. what can I say - please don't put the camay in my mouth, sister. on another subject, was going through some of my old stuff and found honor pins and attendance pins the nuns gave out along with report cards. anyone remember if they actually made us wear those?

Zitro

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they made you wear them only if you were a brown noser would anyone.

Jcole

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laing, I don't think they made us wear them, but I remember having them on my bolero once in a while. I think it was more of an honor thing to get them than to wear them.
Some kids would have been covered to the point of being drawn to magnets, while others would never damage their shirts with a pin hole

Jcole

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I said Deep Space, I started to add that I meant the deep space between the ears, but thought better of it. Now I wish I hadn't thought

12468_laing

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never personally wore them. always thought they looked hokey.

Zitro

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laing - 3 or 4th request, it sounds like you have some neat SJS stuff. We have that Facebook site established, when you get some time please download some of those things on there to share with the group. If you need any help just ask. You can register anonymously if you are concerned about your ID, we have a few members who have posted great things on there and we still don't know who they are.

12468_laing

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, will do, just haven't had the time to get it together. will try soon.

Jcole

Post Number: 2721
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, are you calling your TS a brown noser? I'm deeply hurt. I still have one of those pins in my jewelry box. I learned a long time ago to hold onto whatever honors I accrued, because they would be few and far between

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All 32 of mine are still in the frame somewhere, I'm sure, along with pictures of me with my homeroom teachers for all 8 years.

Zitro

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twis Sis, I guess I am, now that I think about it you used to push people out of the way to clap the erasers too. Anything to get on the good side of Ellen Richard. Now there any oxymoron for you.

Zitro

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we know what statue to erect and put in the empty crevice on 7 mile.

Saint 7

Jcole

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, still picking on me for shoving you into a wall trying to get to the erasers, hmm? Always knew you'd hold that against me. 6 years of unending devotion weren't enough recompense for you?
Did SR. ER have a good side. I never was it.

Zitro

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laing: Don't try to do it all at once. First get registered and then try one download or so. It's a little tricky at first.

(Message edited by zitro on July 30, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS: That was the oxy I was referring to.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: 32 honor roll cards...WOW. You must have been one of those advanced kids who could color inside the lines.

Zitro

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and he was one of the few who could write with those big black pencils and never had to erase.

Zitro

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: I know you're chortling along with all of this, I hope you have learned to time the sips of your Diet Pepsi so as not to color your screen anymore.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 759
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He probably considered control paper an insult.

12468_laing

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, but the way i am hearing things, he probably was the one when he graduated to the Shaefer fountain pens, had the ink spot on his pocket. Tell us, black or blue ink?

Jcole

Post Number: 2723
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He probably never had one of the giant slivers in the paper tear through and ruin his assignment. Some people have all the breaks

12468_laing

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

control paper, now there is something i haven't thought of and something our kids just couldn't grasp. afterall, how would you format that into word?????

Kellyroad

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fountain pens!..... another insult for 7. He probably had great control with a ball point pen, didn't want to mess with those ink cartridges, and would never gouge into the wood top desks (very difficult to do with a fountain pen)...He must of always got As in conduct and effort (had to to get all those 32 honor roll cards)

Zitro

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Must have been the kid who was in charge of the A/V equipment. Got to roll it into the room acting like he was all dat

Kellyroad

Post Number: 761
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: Ink spot on his pocket!??..Come on! Pocket protectors prevented that problem.

Eastburn

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's an honor roll card? I certainly never got one. Sure didn't have to worry about sticking pins in my (homemade) shirt.

Ink cartridges? We used Esterbrook bladder pens with the little lever on the side. Filled from the ink bottle held in the inkwell hole in the desk. I suspect those desks were all gone by the time y'all got there.

Oh yea, and I walked 6 miles each way to and from school in raging blizzards. Up hill both ways. Well, I did live farther from the school than any of you.