Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » OUCH! CHISOX GET GRIFF! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chisox get Griff(based on approval by Griff) and Tigers get screwed....

If this story is true, it will only make it tougher for the Tigs to win the division.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/ news/story?id=3512365

blksoul_atcha!
Obama 08'

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he's an injury prone 240 hitter, and this is after a 12 game hitting streak. Not a big deal

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spiritofdetroit stated...
quote:

he's an injury prone 240 hitter, and this is after a 12 game hitting streak. Not a big deal

Oh..you just happened to leave out a 600 career home run hitter. Don't think adding a player of this capability won't make a huge difference in the mental edge to the Chisox run for the pennant.

Blksoul_atcha!
Obama 08'

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

15 homers this year - decent, but nothing too amazing. This will help, but shouldn't be seen as anything too surprising or helpful for the Sox.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good catch, Blksoul_x. Don't forget to add Griffey is a future Hall of Famer, with a .288 career batting average and over 1700 career RBI. I don't see where Griffey can do anything but help the White Sox pennant chances, even if he is an "injury prone .240 hitter".

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5218
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem (for the Tigers) is that this might energize the entire White Sox team. I, too, am not particularly impressed by Griffey's production, but he could get a key homer here or there that really helps that team.

I'm really looking forward to next week's series in Chicago.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thome is a left-handed DH. Griffey is too old to play CF so where does he play and who does he replace that's not just as good?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don poses a question which provides good discussional meat on which to chew.
I side against the folks who seem to be dismissive of the notion that Griffey could greatly help the White Sox. He's not 48, he's 38, he can still change a game with one at-bat, and he's Ken Fuckin' Griffey, Jr.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I heard the news on the radio this morning here in Chicago, I was furious. Pudge for Farnsworth, and the Sox get Griffey? Meanwhile, the Angels and Yankees are stockpiling.

But I had lost track of Griffey lately, and he's not playing that well...so I don't care quite as much. But the main point still stands. The Yankees are making moves. The Angels are already good, and added a big bat. The Cubs and Brewers made big moves in the NL. We got Farnsworth. Fantastic.

It's not waving the white flag, but it isn't really making the big move either.

Any big talents gonna be free agents next year? It could be that DD made some little moves this year because he's going to have MASSIVE millions coming off the books next year...wonder if he's got anything in store, or if Illitch will just take some of that money back.

(Message edited by focusonthed on July 31, 2008)

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The massive millions that DD needs to come off the books, but may not be able to accomplish by trade, includes the contracts of Willis, Sheffield, and possibly Robertson, IMO.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forget where I saw the list, but Jacque Jones, Kenny Rogers, Renteria (certainly they won't pick up the team option), and Todd Jones are coming off the books after this year.

(Message edited by focusonthed on August 01, 2008)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a shame that the list of contracts-which-we'd-like-to-h ave-off-the-books has become so long that it is starting to curl at the tip.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 694
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers got about what you would expect in terms of Disabled List time the last few yrs considering how many veterans with some injury history they signed. Maggs, Rogers and Guillen have had limited time on the DL. Sheffield and Renteria have been busts. Pudge was remarkably durable. The bottom line on this yr is your no. 2 and 4 starters, Bonderman and Willis, have a combined 3 wins.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.