Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through July 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing that with us Ward. Actually the desks were still there, we just didn't use the ink wells.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if ya walked 6 miles each way, you were zoned for another school. just comes to prove, everyone wanted to go to sjs, if nothing else for the milk and donuts on first fridays.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooooooooooooookay, I see you all missed the sarcasm...just trying to keep up with the nerds in the group who kept their honor pins.

Actually, I got U's in coloring and handwriting.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 762
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Those desks with the ink well were still there in the late 50s-60s....my favorite desk. They were wider and had a hinged top. It took a while to figure out why there was a hole in all those desks.

(Message edited by kellyroad on July 30, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I think we got the sarcasm.

Zitro

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they got replaced when we were in the 5th or 6th grade. I remember taking one home. It was kind of like when they got rid of the wooden chairs at Tiger Stadium (sniff) and they gave them away. At the I-Cubs Fanfest a few years ago there was a vendor who had 3 of those chairs, and I think they were box seats with the elaborate scrolled Tiger in the arm. He wasn't giving them away, but it was tempting and to think at one time they were free. UGHH!!

Zitro

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy still has some of those chairs, it's right down the street from the old ballpark. If you never been in there he has some really cool stuff.
http://www.detroitathletic.com /servlet/Categories?category=A uthentic+Stadium+Artifacts

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 763
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Unsatisfactory in coloring in handwriting. Thank you. The truth can set you free

Zitro

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Faircoma leave us? Too bad I was hoping she could share on the thread some more.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thread share indeed...who's got some nylon...got a hole in my umbrella...ella...ella.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I see...it was pick on 7 day...guess I was due...carry on.

Zitro

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know you can't leave the door open around here. Like our OLD pal ES61 would say don't take it personal.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You use the term "pal" loosely referring to that &%$^.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on July 30, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: How's that's gnawing going with that Italian joint on Kelly. Going over some of those matchbooks again I was reminded of Perini's, I realize it wasn't on Kelly but was wondering if this could have been it.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone said it might actually be the Flying Machine like you suggested.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of your lip now, Beav.

Btw, Laing mentioned 1st Fridays.

Did you go to Mass every day or just 1st Fridays?

I have a vague recollection that we had Mass every day but the milk & donuts were only for 1st Friday. Since you couldn't eat anything after midnight before communion, I doubt they made us wait until lunch. Guess we didn't go every day.

My wife says they went every day @ St. Clements then had 1/2 their lunch for breakfast.

Zitro

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS: This might answer your question about Putting on the Ritz Bowling Recreation:

12468_laing

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first fridays were special.......had the milk and donuts then, but as i remember the different grades went on different days - the church couldn't hold all the students, but i remember 8th grade was up front.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you all are the best thing since the funny pages - and for the record, I still have my honor pin things too - and the cards. At least,unlike my cousins, my cards and pins weren't framed and hanging.
We had a lot of that stuff set out on several tables at our reunion cruise.
Okay, carry on, I'm back to work...

7andkelly

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for chiming in, Cfg...always nice to hear from you...still wanting an update on sis pls.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't believe they traded Pudge!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, fasting was for only one hour before receiving Holy Communion, and not from midnight like it was during the Depression.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sis - as of yesterday - is "Cast-Free"! She has PT for 3 weeks, then another appt. before release back to work in the Postal Workers world! Thanks so much for asking - and for EVERYONE'S Prayers and support!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got that news from you, Al Ackerman! Well, one member of our household is no longer holding claim to her lord baltimort game ticket.

Zitro

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice trade Dumbo, just what we needed another head case reliever who we already cast off one time before.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the good word on sis, Al.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Pleasure -
My friend, Ray Lane and I, were just lamenting that ignoramous trade!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, "in the day" one had to fast from midnight. No wonder I was depressed.

But then the Pudge trade really adds to my depression. Has Dumbo just lost it this season?

Zitro

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least we still have Renteria & Sheffield.

12468_laing

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, just checked it out online. isn't this another case where the tigs let one go and traded to get him back? believe me, i want the tigers to win, but i, too, don't understand this. would think they also need a leader and thought pudge was that.