Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Archive through July 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yeah, you should see me after a loss.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right there with ya Ravine. Dead on!

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Ing, one firecracker that one is. Ing is part of THE CORE!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7693
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear what you're saying ravine, but Grilli's chemistry comment also involved The Mayor, did it not? And as much as I love the guy, and as much as I do believe he distracts runners on 1st with his constant chit chat, Casey really wasn't doing that much for us. Inge definitely belongs on 3rd, though. Not behind home plate or sitting on the bench. He's too good of an all around player, and the best 3rd baseman in the league.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt Joyce has been a true breath of fresh air, not to mention a wake-up call for both Marcus and Sheffield. I think it's keeping both of them on their toes to keep producing or they could be riding the pine. A little healthy competition on the team is good.

Ggores

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DP – When questioned as to what peeve’s him most about the roller-coater season thus far, feisty Tiger’s third baseman Brandon Ing snapped back, “Pillows obviously. Local sports message boards. Central Division standings. The coach making me wear that stupid catcher’s get-up. Ummmmmm, oh, and acquiring Cabrera

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Guillen is getting his legs back because he's not playing SS? On the other hand, if we really want to make a run at it, and 5 games down to 2 avg. teams is not that much, especially with plenty of head-to-head games left, I would agree. Put Inge at 3rd and Guillen at SS for the last 2 months. Platoon Joyce and Thames and put Santiago at Short and Guillen at DH against most righthanders. Let Sheff sit against righties unless he gets really hot.
I was trying to remember who Cabrera reminds me of with all those deep drives to right center. It's none other than the portly Chris Shelton (the April phenom version).

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, we're on the same page. I should have said that part of what Grilli was driving at was correct. Dropping Casey did not, on its own, screw up the chemistry. It's more like a whole sequence of events, beginning with that one, resulted in a big mess.
If we would have dropped Casey and then NOT do some of the things we did, we would be better off.

(Message edited by ravine on July 22, 2008)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To revisit a topic from a ways up the list. IMHO that scoreboard at Oriole Park is friggin gawdy. Like those stupid jumbotron billboards they're putting up on the freeway. Everything is so bright and big that it distracts from the game. Keeping it a little simpler adds to teh game instead of detracting from it. When they showed that shot from across the field. All you saw was a gigantic flashy screen on top, a smaller video board underneath and that large elongated video board along the right field wall. TOO MUCH!

Ggores

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I agree.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7737
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did everybody else fall asleep waiting for the rain delay to end too?

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, for reasons unknown to myself, I stayed up for the rest of last night's game. It was rather comical watching Granderson attempt to field a flyball in the bottom of the ninth. It bounced onto the warning track, which had standing water along the whole wall, and made a huge mud stain along the padding of the wall. To make matters worse, Granderson had to field the ball in the standing water, which probably made his feet soaking wet. I bet he was elated that he wasn't out there for too long.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep an eye on Galarraga. 5-0 Tigers with Galarraga pulling off an impressive feat right now.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn. Still preserving a shutout would be fantastic, though..

401don

Post Number: 672
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great series but then I flip to the Sox/Rangers game. Rangers were leading 8-4 entering the 8th. 2 out in the 8th and the Rangers, still leading, go to their closer. 1st pitch - 3 run homer and Sox win 10-8. At least the Twinkies lost again.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching at work on MLB.tv today. The TV feed was from KC. After the Tigers half of the 7th, the announcers said something about Galarraga and how he had a perfect game going. I couldn't believe they mentioned it.

Sure enough, he lost it that very inning.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 675
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote;

"To revisit a topic from a ways up the list. IMHO that scoreboard at Oriole Park is friggin gawdy. Like those stupid jumbotron billboards they're putting up on the freeway. Everything is so bright and big that it distracts from the game. Keeping it a little simpler adds to teh game instead of detracting from it. When they showed that shot from across the field. All you saw was a gigantic flashy screen on top, a smaller video board underneath and that large elongated video board along the right field wall. TOO MUCH!"

I was at 2 of the games in Balto (including JV's masterpiece Sunday).

That scoreboard is big but does not intrude at all.

I asked someone if the scoreboard was new.

It looked really nice and something seemed different then when I was at Camden last year.

CoPa's is obtrusive. Big and ugly.

To me, it isn't the size so much as the aesthetics. The Balto scoreboard has nice balance with the side panels and the other panels blend very well. Well done.

Just my opinion.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Comerica Park's scoreboard is going to have all it's real estate taken up by static billboards and 1-color LCD screens, tear it down and build seats.

Since that's not going to happen, let's get us a decent scoreboard, fitting of our position as one of the top-10 franchises (if not higher) in baseball.

Ggores

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Complained to a friend the other night about no replays being shown at CoPa. Friend say that Monoham banned replays to minimize the Bronx Jeers. But sometimes I can't tell what happened during certain plays. Anyway, this is great, glad to see the boys have a day off today, just in time to brawl with the ChiSox. Can ya feel the gravity? "Huh? Huh? What you say? Gonna kick yo arses, Tigers fans!" Heh, just stealing a line from the spectacularly bemusing Lions t.v. commercials running these days. \m/

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the thing...everyone else in the AL Central and in Chicago and Detroit esp, know just how BIG this series could be...

Do the tigers???

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god damn that Todd Jones...

Come on bullpen!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 768
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that sucked, TY TJ, why give Quentin anything over the plate to hit with 2 outs and an 0-2 count??

But special kudos also goes to Pudge for GIDP with the bases loaded to kill a rally, and also throwing the ball into LF allowng a run to score...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5172
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focusonthed, I totally agree.

Well I stood at the game tonight, and all was well (in spite of a shaky Zumaya and Rodriguez) until TJ came in. My friends and I saw it coming. It's the same look of uncertainty people always give to each other when you know he's coming in.

Now a win is a win and a loss a loss in the stat column (that's probably what Leyland just told the press), but it's different if Todd blew some saves in April when we were losing five straight games, compared to blowing it in a statement series with a chance to take control of things in the division going into August. It's also a mental blow to the rest of the team, especially Robertson and Rodney's efforts, and the timely hitting. It's almost disrespectful to your teammates and 44,390 fans (who were all there) to throw a hittable pitch on an 0-2 count. Throw garbage. Then a pitcher's pitch. Then another pitcher's pitch. Then deal with 3-2. His stuff ain't that good. He can't throw just any old pitch past a guy on 0-2.

They need the next two. And they need to clean up in Cleveland.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DET needs a lights out closer.

Todd never was and never will be.

Need a Rivera (NYY) or Joe Nathan (MN).

I'd hope that Zumaya becomes that one before this year is done.

Will be next year.

401don

Post Number: 677
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jones throw 85 mph down the middle and Zumaya throws 95 down the middle. It's not much better. Zumaya can't spot his fastball or get his curve or change over the plate most of the time. I've seen no indication that Zumaya is any closer to being the closer than he was 2 yrs ago.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5175
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zumaya has head issues. Yesterday it wasn't on straight and he was just off. When he's right, he's lights out, and for that I would want him as closer.

401don

Post Number: 678
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many times has Zumaya been lights out lately?
His era is low because he's letting almost all inherited runners score before setting down the side.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3457
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, gang. This is a .500 ball club, nothing better. Good hitting, lousy pitching, so-so defense. This team is not going to the playoffs in 2008. Live with it and just enjoy the games as they come.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers lose. They tried, but couldn't do it.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 282
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From pitching to defense to offense...it appears the Tigers do not have 'clutch' players...time after time, they squander game winning opportunities...perhaps it is the reason this team is frustrating to watch!

7 1/2 OUT....SEASON OVER!

blksoul-atcha!
Obama 08'

(Message edited by blksoul_x on July 26, 2008)