Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe someone else can get it

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tease

Zitro

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patience my sweet Twisted one

Jcole

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying, ZZ, I'm trying

Zitro

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, you want patience and you want it NOW

Jcole

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you got it, pal

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're interested, some pictures snapped from my demolition video are on another thread. https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/146930.html?1217566686

The video is on FB as are my son's pictures from his Olympus FE-230.

Kind of sad really...especially seeing it up close.

Jcole

Post Number: 2835
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really is sad, 7. It's too bad that they didn't preserve it 10 years ago, and keep the team there.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is truly sad. my first game was with my dad sitting in right field, 1963 against the yankees and when i saw mantle out there, thought i died and went to heaven. I moved away the summer of 1982, and everytime i came back, another landmark was gone. still can't get over making that big curve on i-75 and no strohs building. some people call this progress, but the jury is still out for me. thing is, i was in rome going through the vatican for one - been there for who knows how long, and a stadium is supposed to be obsolete after 15 years. go figure:-(

Zitro

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, it's like seeing a loved one die in front of your eyes. Thousands of people crossing the thresholds of that place, most not knowing the others and yet, each one has a moment in time locked in their heart and mind of something that will remain with them the rest of their lives. (sigh)

Jcole

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the long run, I'm sure the same feelings will be felt for Comerica by the current and future generations of baseball loving kids, but it's hard for us to imagine that while we watch the grand Old Lady die. It's not only the stadium we mourn, but the memories of what we were like when we went there.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so glad that I was such an active member of the TSFC (Tiger Stadium fan Club). We did everything we could to save the Stadium and I feel good about that. I'm not looking at any demolition tapes and/or pics because I want to remember walking up the aisle and seeing the ballpark in all it's glory. It died a horrific death of demolition by neglect - and could have been used by many projects, but all were turned down as Mike didn't want any competition for the COPA. Give the choice of a ballgame at an amusement park or a ballpark, the choice would be obvious. I went to the COPA once on Ernie Harwell day - and it really brought tears to my eyes. It's definitely a pander to a generation of individuals who need to multi-task and can't sit an enjoy a ballgame and a dog off the grill. They can take away the structure, but not the feeling of being there. Now, I get my baseball at Fenway - usually one every year or so and LOVE the feel of the "friendly confines". Had a field seat for the 1999 ALL Star game - we have an office out there - and we were the first ones under the gate as it opened - and the last ones that were "kindly" asked to vacant the stadium long after the game ended.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 767
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Thank you and your son for the wonderful photos and video.. The imagery is very powerful... relentless machinery tearing away at an empty shell, and the drive along Trumbull to the the corner to capture the sign....WOW
The hundreds of times I drove by the stadium with my family to and from downriver I'd always utter "sure gonna miss that girl" when we drove by...It was an expected corny cliche....How prophetic.....The images drive the point home (no pun intended).

Laing: Can relate to the Stroh brewery example..use to park next to the Strohhaus (illegally) for years when attending school. Rome is a good example of buildings preserved, or just drive to the New England states to see how cites preserve their treasures. Oh well "Thanks for the memories"

Z: Melodrama is fine in this situation. Your analogy is right on. Somewhat related is the closing of St. Jude School (ironically) last June. ...."Each has a moment in time locked....."

Jcole

Post Number: 2843
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked this yesterday, but I think it got lost in a flurry of posts.
Does anyone of you ND guys remember a Pat Leahy? He would have graduated in 69. He was a friend of my sisters Apparently, the last time she saw him he was losing his eyesight. They lost touch , and she was wondering how he was doing.
He also went to St. Jude with her til 65

Kellyroad

Post Number: 768
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: 3 Yrs ago my wife and I paid $8 a piece just to get a tour of Fenway. It was a cold and rainy fall day and worth every nickle....couldn't help but think why?, why?, why? as related to Tiger stadium. can't knock the COPA though. IF the ferris wheel bring em in...fine.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 769
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: just looked in the 69 Juggler. Pat Lahey looks vaguely familiar. Don't know him.

Would you like his yearbook pic posted?

Jcole

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, please

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Did the same tour - and really enjoyed being on the field. Scooped up a little outfield gravel which now adorns in the inside of a christmas ornament!
No, I don't knock the Copa, it does appeal to a certain group of folks, it's just not my opinion of a Ballyard - but a great amusement park.

Zitro

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to finish off the question regarding Mr Mullane from last night. It seems he was a fan favorite of the ladies in the 1880's and with baseball having such a rough & tough reputation and the owners looking to expand their gate revenue they put in place the first Ladies Day promotion so they could take advantage of "The Apollo of the Box's charm and sex appeal. Now no longer something the teams need to do, but I seem to recall the Tigers having Ladies day promotions when we were kids.

Jcole

Post Number: 2849
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen a ballplayer that I'd pay money to look at in a looooong time.
I think Rocky Colovito was the last one.
Maybe Kirk Gibson in his heyday

Zitro

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not even acorn head Polanco?

Jcole

Post Number: 2851
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, no.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, be careful what you say...he may be from outer space...and those guys are familiar with corn fields from what I've heard.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fudge is a Yankee now...'nough said.

Zitro

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not hatin' the playa, it just I marvel every time I examine his dome. It's hard to figure out kinda where it starts and stops.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's been one of more consistent players, and he's consistently good, which makes it better.

Zitro

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Poly, outside of Mags, he's the only one you can count on day in day out.

Jcole

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were talking Ladies Day and paying to see ball players. They can be as good a player as any ever in the game, but, damn, I'm not giving up money just to look at them

Kellyroad

Post Number: 770
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Here ya go.

Zitro

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if they ever built anything on the grounds of Olympia? I think it was still vacant when I left and that was 10 years or so after they tore it down.