Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great - now instead of dp on my monitor, I have tears on my keyboard. Thanks Z - it really is a beautiful verse of remembrance.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty soon, I'm gong to owe you a whole new setup.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding! It took a while to compose after that reading.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice eulogy Z!

BTW, no bricks were seen at the scene...just a bunch of Barney and Betty.

Z's our poet laureate...I'm "a comedian in our midst". - Sgt Hulka...I try anyway.

Zitro

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And obviously Bam-Bam must have been busy too.

(Message edited by zitro on August 01, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that might have been him running the crane...he always was a destructive feller...a textbook anger management case.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2874
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Pebbles always could calm him down. And there are plenty of Pebbles down there

Zitro

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VaVOOM!! could have taken it down with one yell.

Jcole

Post Number: 2875
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the help of Master Cylinder

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, well put together. somewhere in my abyss i have a casette of a song put together for the 84 tigers - think it was called "bless you boys". it names many of the players, and despite my leaving detroit 2 years prior, i used to play it constantly. was great to get the heart pumping. anyone remember it? also, in the 1990's, the free press published a "coffee table book" on tiger stadium - can't remember the title, but i think it was called "the corner". still have it in my nightstand. great pics and history going back to day 1. may be able to get reprints.

Jcole

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to Bless You Boys from Gregg Henson's Blog site
I'm not sure is this is the one you are looking for. It seems like there was another song that mentioned more of the Tiger player's names.

Zitro

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out for an oldy but a goody. More for the 68' crowd.

http://www.mackavenuetigers.co m/2006/10/18/some-playoff-fun/

BTW: I realized I left out a few fan favs so I added them in, I guess it wasn't too well thought out.

12468_laing

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole, that is the same one. i will have to find the tape to see what the name of the other song is. going to destin tomorrow till wed with the family for our last family vacation before oldest son starts his last year at Annapolis, and younger son starts year 2 at TN Tech - closer to empty nesters.................

12468_laing

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kr, so what is the contraption?

Jcole

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My nest is long empty, laing. I have 3 grand kids. Two boys and a little girl. It gets easier.

I think the song I'm thinking of is 'We're talking baseball'

Zitro

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he doesn't answer soon it will be kicked off the page.

Jcole

Post Number: 2879
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talkin' Tiger Baseball
by Terry Cashman

It was great to be a Tiger fan with the Georgia Peach and Wahoo Sam
They won the pennet three years in a row
Then Heilman, batting titles in years that were odd
Briggs Stadium always had a hitting show

I’m talkin’ baseball
Hank and Charlie slugging
Tiger baseball
Schoolboy did the chucking
Goose Goslin made opposing pitchers scream
Then Georgie Kell came upon the scene

I’m talking baseball, the motor city team
Well Hal and Dizzy set ‘em down
And Kaline won the batting crown
The year before he the right to vote
Charlie Maxwell’s Sunday fun
Denny’s year of 31
The sailing was great in ’68 on the series boat

I’m talkin’ baseball
Rocky, Norm and Willie
Tiger baseball
McAullife, Gates and Billy
Rootin’ Hef, Freehan, Harvey Kuenn
Lolich in the series winning three

Now when you’re talkin’ Tiger baseball
Rusty and old black Mike
Cesar’s seven hits in one
What would Mark “The Bird” have done?
One Tiger had two slams in a game, Northrup was his name

The Tigers have tradition
And Sparky’s one ambition
Is to get them to the classic in the fall
New names join the old
Another team unfolds
There a good bet with Morris and Chet
So lets play ball

I’m talkin’ baseball
Trammell, Dave and Lance
Tiger baseball
Kirk Gibson and the Champ
Whitaker and Herndon are on the scene
Wilcox and Aurelio have the steam

Tiger baseball, the motor cities team
Motown, Motown, Motown

I’m talkin’ baseball, the motor city team
Motown, Motown, Motown
Motown, Motown, Motown

Tiger baseball, the motor city team
Motown, Motown, Motown

Talkin’ baseball, the motor city team

Zitro

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what it is, Carlos Guillen used this to settle his hemorrhoids when he was having trouble

Jcole

Post Number: 2880
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that would do the job. You'd never feel your hemmoroids(or much of anything else in that area)again

Zitro

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd just hate to be the guy using it after him.

(Message edited by zitro on August 01, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 2881
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I could get so nasty here, but I'm going to take a pass.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Leland finally threatened Miner with it to get him to pitch straight...either that, or they actually used it on him, and now his mind is more focused on the game.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 774
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I had to leave the SJ Slackers Anon. for a while. It IS a hat expander. ...can be used by visiting teams also.

Zitro

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot about The Heckler" at the Trop. Sounds like Curtis is his target tonight

7andkelly

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing was close, but I win.

Zitro

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it okay to ask how you got such close access to it KR? Or would you have to kill me?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, thanks for posting those lyrics...talk about nostalgia!

Some of the pictures from our day trip to SJC are now uploaded. It's changed, but there's much the same, and the building is rich with beauty!

Zitro

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics 7. Tell your son he did a great job.
No garden shots?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful pictures! Beautiful Church!

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. I am new to the forum. I went to St. Jude from 69-77 and my 5 sisters also went there. We belonged to the parish for years. My mom and dad belonged since 1942. I'm looking forward to posting here and reading all your posts. I had a question. In 5th grade my teacher was Chris Taylor. He taught St. Jude in the early to later 70's. I had wanted to contact him and tell him what a difference he made for me there. If anyone knows him and knows how I can contact him, let me know. And is there anyplace on the internet where old class pictures from my school years might be? Thanks all. :-)