Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, thanks for the pix - beautiful! Guess I'll have to go back "home" one of these days.

I don't think those are the original stations of the cross. They don't look at all familiar to me.

Did I ever mention that the stained glass was done by a company, Thompson Glass, owned by a couple of guys I ride with? Their grandfather started the company. Don't know if he did the artwork itself or just the installation. I'll be with them next weekend & will see what they know about St. Jude's. They did the restoration of the stained glass at Kirk in the Hills. Amazing what a couple of biker bums can do, eh?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, welcome.

Coincidentally, we are hot on the trail of those class pictures!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No garden shots Z.
It was SJs, not Js.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diane,
Welcome to the fold. If you have a Facebook acct, we have a St. Jude Church entity set up so you can look at what we've amassed over the last several months.
Here's a link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Detroit-MI/St-Jude-Roman-Catho lic-Parish/13026593213
If you have an account, just log in, otherwise you may have to create one to look at the pics.

Jcole

Post Number: 2898
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, really nice pictures.
EB, I agree on the stations. Those are new, but in the same spots as the old ones.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi 7Kelly and JCole! :-) I'll set up a Facebook so I can see those pics. From what I heard St. Jude is closed now. The church is still open, though. My high school, Dominican is closed now, too. It closed in 2005. Oh, does anyone remember Sr. Pat, Tom Schaefer, Father Villerot or Father OLeary? And does anyone recall a St. Patrick's Day school show that was held in the gym and all the parents were there? It was to thank them for their work and help during the school year and held in March of 74.

Eastburn

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D, last I heard, Fr. Villerot was retired & living at St. Mary's in Royal Oak.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sr. Patricia Marie, the principal? Yes, I remember her...very nice Nun!

I believe she started at SJS in 1966...not sure when she left.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Thanks again for your prolific documentation. great photos

Kellyroad

Post Number: 776
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Our camera club had a COPA photo shoot. The tour guide was great. The hat expander was used back in the Briggs Stadium days. Many of the ball players order hats a tad too small, the hat expander (with just enough heat and slow expansion) gives a nice form fitted cap. Out of all the "artsy" photos that grab shot of the hat expander to me was the most intruiging...guess it reminded me of our grand old lady in her last days.

PS. No, I don't have to kill you, even if I had to, I couldn't......Sr. Maddona Marian made sure we understood the 5th commandment.

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 02, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 777
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane12163: Welcome to the SJ forum. Fr. OLeary served St. Jude during my later days at SJ school. I was an altar boy during his time there. Last saw him in 1991 during the Golden Jubilee celebration in the church basement. Fr. Villerot, of course was pastor right after Fr. Ording...He and his brother are both retired (or semi-retired...it seems priest never fully retire). There was an article with a picture of him in the Michigan Catholic recently. I think he just celebrated 60 yrs of ordination. BTW, if you have any photos or memorabilia please post on the Face book site or even here in Discuss Detroit (although it is a little more challenging here because of the limited megapixels allowed)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 778
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Can you tell us what street you lived on?
If you have any stories or picures from the early 40s that would be great. Your folks were there since 42 (the parish was founded in 41) We would all love to hear what the parish, school and surrounding neighborhood was like. The house I grew up in on Eastwood was built in 1941....I graduated from SJS in 67. Our 20 yr reunion in 87 was called the "67 riot"

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 02, 2008)

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kellyroad. I lived on Manning between Hayes And Gratiot with sub streets being Queen and Monarch. I was born 21 January 1963. My Mom and Dad raised 6 girls there. I've got 5 sisters all of whom went to st. Jude and half went to Dominican and half to Regina. Detroit back in 42 was a very nice place to live. It was a safe place to raise a family and there were things like block parties, church parties and everyone was pretty close knit. Neighbours did for neighbours and you could leave your door unlocked and windows open wide at night. After the mid 60's things became less safe and of course we had the riots which happened in my lifetime although I was just a child. There was even a blackout and at one point, I recall a brownout. Generally we would go to church on Sundays and mom and I loved to go to Hudsons downtown and we both loved Sanders. My fave is the hot fudge sundae on chocolate ice cream. We went on the Boblo boat, to the Detroit Zoo, went to the Olympia, Milroys Fish on Lenten Fridays, and had lots of family parties. My mom and dad are pictured in a green colour flyer from 1980 on the back of the flyer for the yearly fair. Their names are Marcel and Margaret. We went to Chatam, Farmer Jacks, Woolworths, Kresges, Federals Department Store, Great Scott Supermarket, Korvettes and Eastland Mall. My first job was as a candy girl at the Woods Theatre in Grosse Pointe. I was born at Cottage Hospital and had a baby and surgery at Bon Secours. My niece works at St John's. I worked at Hudsons at Eastland. I wish I had pictures but, I have suffered immense loss, hardship and tragedy and have only the 3 suitcases I live out of and stay with a friend.

Oh, another person, a teacher I am trying to locate is Tom Tristani who taiught at Dominican High School during the later 70's and 80's. He was a fantastic teacher and I want to let him know it. If you know him or anyone does, I sure would like to contact him.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all for the Kudo's on the pics and clips. We had a fun and interesting day at SJC and later at TS. Any more praise, and Polly's cap won't fit us, even with the antique cap expander.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, I'm guessing you live in Canada now?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Diane to our forum. We invite all questions and opinions without judgement. You may fine the occasional guilt trip laid on you, but that comes from many years of a Catholic education & upbringing. We are trying to break that Habit (pun) in some.

But seriously, welcome to our little domain.

Okay, once again I'll bite on the Canadian question, I didn't notice her using any ehs? in her post.

I'm looking for a volunteer to cut my grass for me today, it's going to be in the mid 90's and if I don't start on it soon I might melt. Any takers?

(Message edited by zitro on August 02, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 2903
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mid 90's and high humidity. Sounds like a Dee-troit summer to me.
Just let it grow, and bale it in the fall.

Zitro

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 What did you win from KR for answering his question? He undying gratitude? 4 atta boys?

Jcole

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And 5 Hail Mary's

Jcole

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, no, wait. That's penance.

Eastburn

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thing you got for winning the Tobin Rote quiz.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the save EB.

Z: "Neighbours" and "colours" are Canadian, last I knew.

Zitro

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of which EB: I should have got partial credit for my Kyle Rote guess. There is a six degree's of separation factor involved there. Kyle Rote was his cousin and was a pro player himself. He played with Doak Walker in college who played for that Lions team. His son was also a broadcaster for ABC.

I want 5 demerits taken off my card for that please.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, we do hope and pray you are on the mend and getting yourself back on your feet again.

Jcole

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, could also be British, and if you noticed those spellings, you must have noticed how she formatted her birthday.

Eastburn

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Demerit reduction noted.

I'm impressed by your encyclopaedic knowledge.

Actually, I think I did sort of give you partial credit for your Kyle answer. didn't I say "Close but no cigar"?

Zitro

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The birthday is formatted in military style so she must have spent time in the Royal Canadian Mounties

Zitro

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: You did, but that's like kissing your horse. Oh wait that's GB's MO. Besides I've been working on this demerit reduction for the last 24 years, it's a must to get it back to zero before I go the way of Tiger Stadium.

Eastburn

Post Number: 362
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May you last as long as she did & enjoy a much more pleasant retirement.

I've earned so many demerits, I'll never get them all expunged.

Jcole

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, I love that you spelled 'encyclopaedic' correctly.
God bless our Catholic school educations, demerits, warts and all