Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't even need the spell checker on that one. Learned to spell encyclopedia on some Disney show. I think it was a Jimminy Cricket feature. Who says you can't learn things on TV?

I got a kick out of the way you held your tongue on the "Women" thread on non-Det. Just shows the signs of a good parochial education aren't limited to spelling.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very funny all. LMAO. I do not live in Canada, nor have I been on the Canadian Mounties. I am not British although I've wished I was born there because I love the culture so much. I've always spelled my words like that much to the chagrin of my teachers, parents and everyone. I grew up in Detroit and lived there or in the burbs fro about 33 years, then moved to Coldwater, MI. Then I moved to Asheville, NC, up to South Bend, IN and then Livonia, MI and now I'm in Houston, TX. Thank you for your prayers. It means a lot to me. And thank you for the welcomes.

I am going to wave my magic wand now and all your demerits will disappear.
Alakazam Alakazoo Bibbitybobbityboo.......(inser t twinkling bells like sound indicating wave of wand has occurred)Voila! You are all now demerit free!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 779
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: sorry, out of bubblegum cigars. your prize will be a mini spiritual bouquet and the job of AV cart boy.

Diane: Demerits are the least of this forum's contributors' issues. Years of humiliation and torture at SJ have either broke our spirits or toughened us with a healthy wry sense of humor:-). I'm guessing the later is more evident in this forum. Actually, for the most part, there is an agreement that the Dominican nuns and teachers at St. Jude were caring and dedicated to their avocation.
Interestingly, you mentioned that half of your sisters went to Dominican and half went to Regina, how did that come about? Was it an age thing? personal choice? family influence?. My sister attended Regina.

Hope things are going well in Houston. (I always remember Houston as the hottest place on earth...been about 25 yrs since last visited)

PS: Do you remember an art teacher at Dominican with the last name of Haddad? I worked with her in the summer of 75 in the Detroit Dept. of Parks and Rec....not sure if she was at Dominican during your time there.

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 02, 2008)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! I wanted the job of AV cart boy! No fair, he always gets to do it.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 780
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Z, Let's be fair, after all 7 did come up with the answer first. Besides there were no more holy cards, rosaries, or medals to give out as prizes AND 7 has demonstrated his audio/visual technical proficiency very well. He deserves to be AV cart boy. Now Z, I want you to stop being so selfish and pray for 7 that he'll do a fine job....and if you go home tonight, study hard, and do your homework assignments you may do well in the next trivia contest. OK?

Zitro

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, but it's not fair

7! You brown noser you!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 781
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL: I did check with the technical staff and JC's answer of hat shaper will be accepted as a correct answer...so the points will be added and not subtracted...and you will be invited back for the next trivia round.

Eastburn

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, don't you also owe prizes to TS & Z? They both got hat shaper simultaneously.

Zitro

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you just let her raise the flag in the courtyard too.

Another one of those "How was it decided who got to do jobs"

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, TS is JC, Si?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, you sure are a target around here if you go away for a couple of hours.

Diane, you can see what happened to you, and you just got here!

Z, if it will make you feel any better, you can have my eraser clapping job all next week. Just don't let J push you out of the way like she did the last time you were supposed to do it.

Zitro

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's okay EB I'm used to playing second fiddle to my Twisted Sister.

BTW - Beyond the Glory is on FSN about Denny McClain. There some nice shots of Tiger Stadium albeit in her less than glorious years.

Eastburn

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, JC = Twisted Sister.

I suspect she kind of likes the name which makes it appropriate. There's a circularity there that appeals to me.

Zitro

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: I'll take it it's better than puke patrol.

Zitro

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can handle her now, she's got a bad foot

Eastburn

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be knockin' puke patrol, Z. That was the job that had some real freedom to it. Rich & I could stretch a puke job out to an hour or better. Beat the hell out of sitting in class.

Zitro

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had trouble changing my kids diapers, so I would have never lasted on puke patrol.

I used to subscribe to the stick their little butts under the bath faucet trick rather than using wipes. Good thing I have long arms, just enough to keep them out of odor range.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, haven't we been a chatty group today. I don't even know where to start.
EB, thanks. Holding my tongue on that forum was not hard. They just aren't worth the effort.
Also, thanks for the good word on the hat shaper question.
KR, I'll be glad to move on to the next round. But ask some questions where I can kick ZZ Top and 7's butts.
Z, I get to raise the flag Nyah, nyah
EB, you're right. I like it.
Z, I hear you on the puke patrol thing. yuk
All, it's good to be home

Zitro

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sister Ellen Richards pet

Jcole

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and I have the long arms to prove it

Zitro

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a good reason you're good at history huh?
Must have been tough turning the pages with your nose

Jcole

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While mumbling through the tape

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 241
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane..........welcome back to St. Jude!.....I AM THE TRUE 7 AND KELLY KID!(the other 7 and kelly and I still need to meet on the blacktop after school and decide who has the rights to the moniker!)...anyway I am the True Relicology Major of the group.........You do know of the True Relic of our Patron Saint I am sure...........anyway, no one else seems to hmmmmmmmm (it's His &^%@.and, I too have lost so much "stuff" in my travels from Eastwood to Moross to Escanaba to Florida and back to Michigan that it hurts. These fellow SJSians (sp?)have been a God send (a Catholic God)and, although I am partial to the Cherry section (you seem to belong to the across 7 mile rd. dreaded Blue section) and have a certain special appeal that I hae been searching for ever since June of 1966.........(which gives my age away).....anyway, you and I need to compare notes and see what happened and what good things are ready to begin for us all.........love DJV

7andkelly

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See what I mean about stepping away for a couple of hours!
If we do meet on the blacktop 7&k with the extra k, you bring the alley rocks, and I'll bring the garbage can shields...just like the old days...there was never any animosity; we used to throw rocks at each other just for fun. Heck, if you can find a couple of Fordhamers, me and you could even be on the same side. How good's your aim?...wait, don't answer that.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CMAO Z! I can't stop laughing about your diaper duty story. You're not by chance a computer monitor salesman, are you?

Zitro

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No slingshots though guys. You never know what riff-raff you might invite if you bring those into the fray.

Zitro

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was I'd be doing well these days.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Gravy! Man, I leave you all alone for awhile and I come back to mayhem. Do I need to get the ruler out or have erasers clapped? LOL And who recalls those God awful uniforms!? You know, you boys got off rather well with just average shirts, pants and ties, most of which were clip ons and half worn at best while we girls had to suffer in sackcloth and ashes. Typical to martyr the girls. I do recall SJS very well. I was the token whipping girl for mostly all. It was brutal at its mildest and I had one particular arch enemy whose name I won't mention only to say it rhymes with coco. I recall doing a performance in the school gym for St. Patty's day tothank all the parents fpor their help all year. I did Second Hand Rose as sung by Barbra Streishand. I lip synced the song and wore a 20's style flapper dress in turquoise and sat a t a piano. When the slow section ended, Mr. "coco" stopped the record. I sat totally still and smiled, then my fave teach there Chris Taylor started it up again and I just picked it right up from there and got a standing ovation. Great memory. I also beat Mr. "coco" in the 50 yeard dash one day. I remember a Haddad art teacher but I never had her. I had Sr. Sue Schrieber who made us shade cones and balls all the time....boring.

Zitro

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know one thing for sure, I could never do Dirty Jobs that guy is always climbing around in doo.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't compete with the above - and don't know where we left off with the stations - or who "wins' this round - but the stations of the cross ARE the ORIGINAL stations - that were cleaned and re-positioned during the church interior changes.