Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through July 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 982
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: From what I heard ES dribbled all the way to first base. Then he had to go in and change his pants.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: ES always was a dribbler...Mrs. Hahn told me so.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Check out Alwar St. for obscure streets. Ran for 1 block between Lappin & Pfent on the NE side

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Still in the Eastside World Record book .... for dribbling. You don't mean for a basketball?? Be clear Father Bananahead .... ? Mrs Hahn officiated at all the games!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 671
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Great example. Thanks for the memory jog. Alwar was near my old 7/Gratiot hangout by the Wards parking lot. For some crazy reason, I always thought it was interesting that streets like Lappin and Liberal etc. crossed Gratiot but on the west side streets such as Pfent and Pinewood started and Coram and Novara stopped

ES: Haven't opened the sports page or turned on sports center.....What was the wiffle ball result?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 972
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, for the score, try newrepublic.com:-)

Peace all.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Pity the poor guys at ES's basketball games who thought they were wiping sweat off the floor.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Final Projects 11 Canadian All-Stars 9 in an 9 inning battle. I was able to get three of the Projects to wiffe....which is totally missing ... and totally embarrassing ... there is the one strike and you are out rule in this game... these are Gen -X ers who know how to take it deep...... A rattle snake did appear along the center field line and that delayed the game for 14 minutes ....

OD: no one dribbled like the old days in the Columbus gym or Cannon rec Center.....

Goblue

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Hahn's primary contribution was the lesson that gentlemen don't snap bra straps...I never again snapped a bra strap after that lesson.

Rattle snake, eh? That's why I play shortstop with a .357 with three snake loads in the cylinder on my hip...ya never know. 'Fess up...JC took ya downtown...didn't he? Or, did he go easy on his significant other's old man?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: fellow eastsider and respected educator.... I didn't have to pitch against the famous JC since we were on the Canadian All-Stars for last nights game .....

Snake Up-date: Since we here in CA are peace loving wiffle players and a 2 x 4 from the barn was enough to let the 28" rattler know that you have to pay to get into Murietta Park here in Los Altos Hills.... I wonder if the Prescott Pretenders - that 4th tier team from AZ would be any type of match next season. Maybe a preseason game just to let you know how the game is played could be arranged.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: One strike and out? You should take a hint from GB's team and hit the ball off a tee.

Goblue

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You went Canuck on us? Ohmigawd...I had given JC more credit for standing up for the Maple Leaf. Can you sing "Oh Canada"? They musta really been hurtin' fer a pitcher dere, eh?

Re: Rattle snakes...in the wild we leave 'em alone...they're there for a reason...around the house they'd get shot...although we have never seen one around the house...our area is sandy but a half mile away is rattle snake heaven in the boulders at the foot of the mountain. We do have a sizeable gopher snake living in the barn...he keeps the mice under control.

I am a member of one of the Prescott Senior Softball League teams...18 teams all together in two divisions...my team is sponsored by Golf Inc...unfortunately our record is currently 8-11 putting us in sixth place in our division...being one of the few players whose arm can still bring it across the diamond I play at short...and am lead off batter currently hitting .630...so there you pair of schmucks! Plus, I'll be playing on the Prescott team in the Senior Olympics in a few weeks...we took a sliver medal two years ago. I think you should bring the All-Stars to AZ for a tournament...but...JC can only coach...and sign autographs...no professionals allowed playing. Bring 'em on!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB is the team's star because he is the only one under 80, and he'll have to give that title up soon

Goblue

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Well...I'll admit there is an element of truth to that...the oldest guy in the league is 83...he also carries one of the highest batting averages although he can't run them out much anymore...there are guys younger than me...I'm probably about in the middle age wise...our star player is 55...damn kid is always into something.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FBHead: Ha Ha .... everyone is younger than you! Do you actually play or just drive down to see the games. Is this league AARP approved? CA. Wiffle league does not include ANY base running so either it is a single or HR or you are out ... I love the one wiffe rule .... Oh 2 foul balls is also an out ....

Oh blessed FBHead: I am starting now to package your award that the CSI sisters have selected for you...... No it is not a life size color photo of HT ... sorry! No it is not a 37 R Nehru jacket (which might be to big for you) but I am totally sure you will enjoy this years award ..... It is not a wall mural of the Mapleridge Smoke Miracle ....... It is FIRST TIER all the way!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The field where GB's team plays is OSHA approved for wheelchairs and walkers.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: That is right .... there are 467 handicapped parking spaces at the OSHA ball field ....

Goblue

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No base running? Gee, it sounds like a real high powered game...competitive as hell...since ya'll don't run there is no need to sharpen spikes either...geez...back to backyard tennis ball hockey!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Remember ES is the intellectual type. He runs the bases in his head, just like his romance with Renee M.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: I do remember being at home on Mapleridge .... summertime .... windows open .... and it being around 9:30 PM ... and hearing Renee screaming to this other individual - "LEAVE ME ALONE ---GO BACK ACROSS THE STRET TO YOUR OWN HOUSE - IF NOT I WILL GET HARRY TO BEAT YO U UP" and that was coming from the next block ..... any recollections OD??????

Goblue

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: HARRY?...did she mean Howie? Besides, OD was never a physical sort of guy...strictly a nose on the window guy.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: She must have been shouting at Eddie R. Either that or maybe GB was hitting on her. He always used to offer the girls rides on his tryke when he picked it up from Elvdige's. I don't know for sure because I was in CA at the time.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I can play back the tape .... when did you split for Santa Ana ?
Elvidge was around and GB was busy with Diane K across from DE's house ..... she was an art major and he was hustling some kind of greek Statue Art Club stuff .... not sure but I was worried for her because of the way GB acts around women .... He was showing her one of those Art Drawing ads that were in the back of magazines in those days - she wanted him out of the neighborhood ... I think she called Harry to come down to her house to tell him to split ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'm sure it was Eddie R. then. He probably thought RM was one of his burley linemen out after curfew and was trying to enforce team discipline.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: The year that your family was evicted and you moved to Riverside?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I wouldn't exactly say evicted. It's more like we heard a family with goats was moving into the neighborhood so we got out before the housing values tanked.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You moved from Mapleridge ??? when? What?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: We moved out when the goat herders moved in.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Oh! That's right I do remember when you hugged Renee M goodbye just before you left for Burbank and the good life....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: But she's the only goat I ever hugged.