Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 370
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey TS, I'll be passing through Almont this afternoon on my way to my daughter's place. Will you be standing at the curve waiting for me with sweet corn in hand?

Look for a bright Red mustang GT convertible.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have a Red Mustang Convertible??? What year? Be careful. If I see it, I may have to carjack it, or at the very least jump in. The 65 Mustang in red with white or black interior is my dream car, but I would be happy with any red 'Stang. I had a 78 in vitamin c orange in the mid 80s. It was a money pit, but I loved it.

Eastburn

Post Number: 371
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'06. Red interior.

Jcole

Post Number: 2937
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a new one, but I'll bet it's a beauty. Be careful when you slow down for the curve just before Maple St. I'll be hiding in the bushes next to the car wash.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS & 7 you get an honorary one day crossing guard pass for your help, I couldn't have done it without you.

Jcole

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does that mean I can run out into traffic on the corner of Redmond and Maddelein? Cool

Zitro

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely, but the in event something happens to you Saratoga or St. Johns?

Jcole

Post Number: 2946
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would prefer Art Centre. It's where I was born, but if the injury is life threatening, St. John's. Saratoga has a bad rep.

Zitro

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saratoga for minor stitches, St. Johns for more severe cases. circa 1970 or so.

Jcole

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. Fran got a bad knife cut on her hand between thumb and index, and Saratoga screwed up and she had no feeling in her thumb for a long time.
Mom got a similar slash, and went to St. John. No problem, except for generalized bitchiness

Zitro

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, While I admit to wearing one of those bolero ties, it must be stated that is was very short lived. My sincere hope is that no one directly tied my identity to the guy wearing the bolero tie!! Given the slight difference in our age (SJS class of 70) I doubt I was the guy or at the very least hope I wasn't

Jcole

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, ZZ, you were known for your baseball cap. That, and of course, your swarthy good looks.

Zitro

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the save TS

Jcole

Post Number: 2951
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem. Always got your back

Eastburn

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, I'll be through around 3:15 - 3:30. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Jcole

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be lurking in the bushes dressed in camo. Tread carefully

Eastburn

Post Number: 373
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure you're only armed with corn. No ripe tomatoes.

I was in a bad motorcycle wreck in June of '66. A woman ran the red light at 8 Mile & Hayes. & hit me broadside. My 1st flying lesson. Wouldn't let them take me to Saratoga. Insisted on St. John's.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 787
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Arte Centre? Wasn't that on Woodward near Farnsworth?

Jcole

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, KR, it was. It's part of Wayne State now. I was born in the old house part of it.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kellyroad, thanks and I remember George Pierot. I used to listen to Ask The Professor on the radio and they used to offer an autographed photograph or a photographed autograph as a prize.
Hi Zitro. I would have been in first grade in 70. I went from 69-77. Any other class of 77 people here?
I used to, once I was in the higher grades once in awhile walk home from school. I used to cut across Heilman and then walked down whatever was two streets south of Manning and cross over Hayes. There was one other classmate who lived on Manning, too.
Once I got into High School I'd go hang with a friend who lived on Tacoma near Alcoy. Our paperboy lived one street down and his friend and I used to wrestle on my front lawn. We also used to play a lot of helper's tag in their neighbourhood. I recall the fences were short enough I could walk right over them. I also recall having swimming class in Heilman Park's pool. And a truck driving down our street touting produce over a foghorn. "Fresh homegrown tomatoes.Three pounds for one dollar." We had Twin Pines milk delivery in glass bottles, fire engine rides and Good Humour Ice Cream.
Oh, Zitro: my sister Joanne would have gone to SJ the same time as you. She was class of 65-66.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Behave all for the next few days...

Kellyroad

Post Number: 788
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Always thought that the autographed photo of the U of D professor for loosing was the better prize than for winning (a gift certificate to a book store)...Ask the professor was an interesting program locally produced...wish there was something like that now.

What year did you take swim lessons at Heilmann? I taught swimming and life guarded there in 73 and 74.

7 and Kelly Kid graduated from SJS in 66..maybe he went to school with your sister..??

Who won the wrestling contest on your front lawn?

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 03, 2008)

Diane12163

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kellyroad! I loved Ask The Professor and I could just sit and listen to it for hours. It was also quite funny. (I think it may still be on or archived and streamable online)That one show on WDET called Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is a bit Ask The Professorish and is also quite funny. It's on Saturday mornings I think at 10 or 11 am. Check the station guide to be sure.

Oh, something of a fun note here: I did our school proud one year. It was Halloween 1993 and my friends and I were going out to a club to celebrate it. I went to a uniform shop and got the exact same jumper, white short sleeve Peterpan collar blouse and even a navy blue cross tie to wear for the night. I put on some white knee socks and black Maryjane shoes with my hair in pigtails. Even got up and danced several songs. It was a bit embarassing but fun. The bigger disconcertion was in buying it and having to explain my reason for buying it for myself.

I took the lessons those years. I never liked at that point to go to the deeper side because I liked to and still do to have my feet touch the bottom. I was probably the tallest kid. I am 6 feet tall now. The only one taller than me was D.O. who was a guy in my class(77).

As for the wrestling: He won, little twerp! And he was, too. He was not made of muscle but he always won. He did think me a good match though and dubbed me Macho Woman. He lived on the northwest corner of Manning and Alcoy. Our paperboy lived 2 houses down across Alcoy on the same side of the street.

Oh, don't know if I asked this or not but, anyone know Chris Taylor, teacher of 5th grade in the early to later 70's? He was blonde, about 5'9"-5'10" and was known for a couple items he kept in the classroom on display.

Diane
p.s.Is there any way we can give out real names here or relate stories using real names of the people from school?

Diane12163

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, 7 and Kelly? Me Behave? Not likely that will ever happen. So There! :-)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 789
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: There are no rules about giving out real names. Many of us have been self "outed" here or by others either here or in facebook. It's a personal preference. When mentioning others unless it's slanderous or embarrassing real names are often used. Again, it's a personal preference

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 04, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 790
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: You were'nt one of those kids who had trouble with the dead man or jelly fish float and would complain about doing too many laps with a paddle board were you?

Eastburn

Post Number: 374
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very disappointed. No TS. No corn. I didn't stop & look under the bushes by the car was.

Diane, several of us are outed on Facebook. CFG & I are the only ones brave enough to post current pictures. I even have my Mom's picture on there. On here, too, come to think of it.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K......for Diane only...........davevan37@yahoo .com.........I've already met some of the perps face to face on clean up day.....and, sigh, Kellyroad on May 10, 1960.......he and I are stuck with each other...let's just say we know where each other alley rocks are buried.............

Kellyroad

Post Number: 791
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: No Twisted Sister and No Korn, ZZ top admits to bollero ties. What's goin on with rock?....speaking of rock, yea 7KID we know where the rocks are buried. Do not divulge the whereabouts of our secret stash of alley stones. Diane seems nice but she could be a spy from the green section which could put us at a disadvantage at a black top war.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR..............ya know............I visited the blacktop last week and .sigh..........I hope we are collecting revenue from all of those semis parked there........and right you are..Tom G. and Rick V. are the only ones who knew.......we need to find Gary White and silence him too...........