Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7KID: Hopefully Gary White is still with us and Don't forget Don V

All: I believe the bolero tie was called a string tie in my day at SJS and they were cool. It was a way of sticking it to the man for all those dress codes.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7KID: You're right about the semis. The only time I remember seeing more semis on the black top was during the St. Jude paper drive and that was just the trailers.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aha! But, are those the real alley rocks or did I cleverly replace them with painted kryptonite of a special variety to affect mortals, too?

I am not sure if I was the one who complained about too many laps with the paddle board. My last name is a Belgian one beginning with Van that everyone one time or another has slaughtered. I used to have pretty bad teeth that got made fun of and wore braces from 8th grade until 1981 in January.

As long as it's okeedokee to name drop, I'll list out here folks I knew:
John Tocco(arch enemy), Drake Okie(Tallest guy in class of 77), Paul Tines, David Oberhausen, Tom Lemanski, Pamela Hensley, Ann Hernalsteen, Lisa Gentry, Mrs. Carloni(Teacher), Mike Orrico(He's a dentist in South bend, IN now and is on their TV ad and he is the one I recall who wore the bolo ties), Doug(class of 76 or 75-last name escapes me), Kevin Kinsel(Known both Doug and Kevin in adulthood as good friends), Robert Paula(long story bout him. I knew him after school in 84-85), Joannie Pecar, Laura Giglioti, Kevin Cox, Mike Beattie(He lived on Manning), John Hearst, Mr. Shaeffer(music choir teacher). I'm sure I'll think of others.

I am on Facebook, too. I also have a Myspace page, am on Godtube, Youtube and Dimeradays(a forum board for Days Of Our Lives).

Our neighbours on Manning were the Scamerhorns, Shropshires, Fresettos, Reas, Shawns, Fileds and Lawrence's. We also had the Mini's and a dude named Buzzi who my sister Joanne had a thing for at one time. My sister's names are Judy, Nancy, Gayle, MaryAnn and Joanne. My mom and dad's names are Margaret(my middle name) and Marcel. My dad built our house.

Our paperboy's name is Russell and the kid I wrestled with was Tom Egan. My friend from High school who lived on Tacoma was Katie Starosta and I knew her neighbour Lloyd Lintz and a couple others I can't place now.

Oh, and teacher Chris Taylor was famous for keeping a paddle and a whip hanging in class. He called the paddle The Butt Stinger which was for the boys and the little whip was for the girls.

I got in trouble a lot for going my own way and taking liberties with the school uniform.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: I thought you were losing your touch on the guilt trip thing but apparently you were just taking a hiatus. Good to see you back in full form. Would you be happy if I posted a picture of my mom on FB? She passed away in 91' so I'm sure she wouldn't mind at this point anymore.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, I only do old pics. I found a teenage one I might consider posting. I think I'd like to be remembered like that. I'll change my FB pic today.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of guilt trips..............where's my corn?

Z, I think that would be a nice idea.

Zitro

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwoodians: I ran across the name of a place I have never heard you mention before. I would go in there once in a while, maybe it rings a bell?

Roaring 20's Market on Hayes.

Jcole

Post Number: 2969
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I can only hide in the bushes for so long before the Almont cops start circling. For the best corn in the area, you should have stopped at that stand on Van Dyke just north of Romeo where about 50 cars were parked on your way south. Van Houtte's. His brother has a place over on Romeo Plank where his wife sells beautiful dried flower arrangement as well as veggies.

Zitro

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: My pic is on FB, check out the 65 SJ Calender, I'm on there just picture me a few years older.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: There is another a member of this forum with a Belgian last name beginning with a Van that one time or another everyone has slaughtered. It kind of made it more challenging when getting a letter jacket with one's last name at Vetere Hardware. St. Jude had a variety of European ancestry didn't it?..... not one particular ethnic group dominated during its formative years....
I recognize the Gentry name, Mike was in my class of 67 also Pecar (Tom) and Cox (Michelle). Mr. Schaffer started as choir director around 1964...Zitro can fill you in on George Schaffer stories.
Chris Taylor was there long after I graduated. Our male teachers were Mr. Flemming and Mr. Tom Kienary. Mr. Flemming taught our boys only 6th grade class. Sr. Tresta Ann taught the all girls class (I believe it was the only time St. Jude had separate classes....It was an abysmal failure). Mr. Flemming needed more than a "Butt stinger" to instill order in that class.
BTW, Do you remember how long Chris Taylor taught at St. Jude?

Maybe JC or CFG and fill you in about taking liberties with the school uniform.

So anyway, you did mention that you along with some of your sisters went to Dominican and some went to Regina. Interesting, how did that come about?

ALL: Does anyone remember a Fr. Matthew (sp?) an Indian priest (during the 70s)? I believe he returned to India to do missionary work...a great human being..but listening skills were put to the test when trying to filter through his dialect.

Zitro

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought of something. 7 is gone for a few days, fresh meat for picking on. He'll never know.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: The "Roaring 20s Market" on Hayes between Eastwood and Saratoga was called something else back in the 60s. That was one of many pit stops made in that area before delivering the Detroit News.

Jcole

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, everyone feel free to pick.
Z, you start.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Come on, 7 not know. Those A/V guys always know. whether they "get it" is another story. LMAO

Zitro

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like we need to do some digging to come up with the name. I can get the address, maybe some detective work will be needed.

Zitro

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS: You're right those pocket protector guys were always a little naive'.

Jcole

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's probably found a church or two to take pictures of, and I expect them to be posted soon.
BTW, where did he shuffle off to. Buffalo??

Jcole

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just aged myself on FB by about 10 years.

Zitro

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he got tired of being stood up by us for corn deliveries and went on his own quest.

Maybe to St. Anne's to check out the crypt and also to see if those cratches and braces are still in the corner.

(Message edited by zitro on August 04, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look out, ZZ, he may be in Ioway, searching for that elusive corn

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, love the bell bottoms. Still have them? I've heard they're coming back into style.

If you'd have had proper camo on, perhaps a ghillie suit, the cops would have never seen you.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Roaring Twenties Market - across from Supreme Drugs and kitty corner from Faircrest Market - also all on Hayes. Faircrest Market was the penny candy store, where for a dime or two, you could walk out with a new kite, candy necklace, few boxes of sparklers and some wax pop bottles.
and....yes....we did get creative with those uniforms! :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 2979
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a little warm for full camo yesterday, EB. Maybe during pumpkin season...
I wish I still had the clothes, AND that I could wear them.

Zitro

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hated those necklaces, If you bit on one side of the candy you would drop the other half. It was an acquired art form.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it was! You just reminded me of that dilemma - didn't stop me from buying them - that and the candy dots on the paper. Always a fan favorite!

Jcole

Post Number: 2980
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved both candies, except the way the candy necklace dyed my neck in a multicolored pattern.
Candy dots were the best, even with the bits of paper.
And sour grape gumballs. Yum

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning all. Chris Taylor as I recall taught in the early to late 70's. Does anyone know where he is right now?

I remember Fr. Matthew very well and yes, he could be hard to understand. He had a very thick accent but, he was so sweet.

I remember Mr. Flemming, too. Didn't he teach gym? I can swear I had him.

The reason half of us went to Dominican and half to Regina is half of us had no taste. I'm speaking of course about the half that went to Regina. Dominican had the Ravens and they ruled. I had a teacher, Tom Tristani in Dominican who taught physiology of women, science and botany who was an exact duplicate of Frank Zappa.

AW, shucks I like corn. :-)

Remember the milk machines in the hallways? I always loved the chocolate milk. I used to bring those little boxes of cereal for lunch once in awhile, the ones that you can make their own bowl. Of course I got teased for it.

As I said, I'm on Facebook. I am on with my whole real name and my network right now is Houston, TX. I am going to add Detroit, MI as another network. Search me and feel free to add me.
Diane Margaret VanHollebeke

Anyone remember me?

I am going to have some pics taken this week and then upload them to Facebook and Myspace. Are any of you on Myspace?

JCole: Shuffle off to Buffalo? My parents used to say that and my mom's 86 now so you may have aged yourself to almost the stone age. LOL Just kidding.

Zitro

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: I believe the family that owned Sindbad's Restaurant was VanHollenbeke, any relation there? One of the owner's name was or nickname was Buster

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - not to worry - that saying is timeless. We have an office in Buffalo - and whenever I have to head out there to provide some training - I Always "Shuffle off to Buffalo!"

Jcole

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, CFG, you know that I'm considerably below 80, as are you.