Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My pleasure! Yes - we have a long way to go to get to that advanced age ---but no doubt, we'll still have a hankerin' for those bell bottoms!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2985
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And rolled skirts. And beads.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least we didn't have to suffer through Disco as teenagers. I was a card carrying member of D.R.E.A.D. Remember that WRIF campaign?

Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco.

Jcole

Post Number: 2988
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. I was a faithful listener of WRIF and WABX. Art Penthallow, BABY!

Zitro

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when Carmen Harlan first came on the scene at ABX.

Jcole

Post Number: 2990
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Art P on WABX before he moved to Wrif?
Who were some of the ABX personalities?

Zitro

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to googlize this one. Some of the orignal "Air Aces were Dave Dixon, Dan Carlysle,Jerry Lubin, "Righteous" Bob Rudnick

(Message edited by zitro on August 04, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried googling and couldn't find it. Thanks. I think Dan Carlysle was the one who I called to make a request one time, and I said 'How's it hangin'?' and he responded 'Down to my knees, baby'

Zitro

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://home.att.net/~s.m.geer/

Zitro

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Righteous -Now there's one I haven't used in a while.

Jcole

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only because you forgot about, I trust.
BTW, thanks for the link

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have my D.R.E.A.D. Card, and probably the baseball style t-shirt that went with it. There was a bar on 9 mile where there was disco upstairs - and a slide to the main floor where we Rockers hung out. It was a riot watching the John Travolta suits swagger upstairs - and the peace-signed, bell-bottomed, Bob Seger fans, "dance" downstairs. The funniest part was when the "superior" disco"ites", got loaded and came sloppily down the slide.

Jcole

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, I missed out on that when I moved up to 'da thumb'. Must have been great to be 18 and living in the D.

Zitro

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to throw out a "righteous" on the kids one of these days, the looks I get should be priceless.

CFG: I thought I still had my D.R.E.A.D. card but last time I looked I couldn't find it.

(Message edited by zitro on August 04, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try throwing out a 'righteous', a 'groovy' and a 'That's the bomb' and see what you get.
Or better yet'That's totally tits' should bring 'em to their knees

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll look for it when I get home and IF I can find it, will scan and post!
Yes, JC - I can't believe they let us drink at 18. I never went into a bar before then - spent all my $$ and time at the ballpark. Made up for lost time! From Shirleys on 9 & Mack, to Shorecrest, Gino's Falcon on Outer Drive, and all points in between. Wednesday - Saturday. Worked 2 jobs - Home Ins. downtown - and Hudsons Eastland at night - and STILL had time to hit the bars with the bands!

Zitro

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gino's Falcon

Jcole

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to hit the local bar, now called the Huddle, used to be VJ's, for lunch during school. The two shots and a beer lunch was popular.
After I graduated, I used to go down to Oxford/Lake Orion to the Back Seat Saloon about 3 nights a week and there was a place in Utica I forget the name of. For just plain getting loaded we had the Capac Hotel a town over and our local, Turri's Bar and Grill.
I also went to Dearborn to the Side Door on Telegraph and Gino's Showbar on Michigan Ave.

Jcole

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'm going to start using 'That's tits, man' again.

Zitro

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An oldy but goody

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 797
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Sounds like a smack down on the blacktop about to come regarding the Domincan vs Regina thing.

CFG: Sound like your east side watering holes are similar. I'll throw in the red carpet lounge on Warren and Viking Lounge in Mt Clemens and of course Uncle Sam's on the west side.

The first time I heard FM stereo it was WABX 1968. My father had just bought an inexpensive am/fm stereo receiver from Olsen Electronics. My "buddies" had to actually show me how to tune in an fm stereo station....but there it was..Fleetwood Mac (the british blues one before Stevie Nix and Christine McVie) and the MC5. After that the only time AM was tuned in was during a ball game or when FM was not available. I was hooked right then and there. Wasn't Dennis Frawley a WABX personality? and who could forget Steve Dahl and the disco demolition at old Comisky Park. I don't recall the Tigers being involved in another forfeit game....at least the Tigers got one in the win column. Wasn't Carmen Harlen with WWWW prior to her WDIV stint? Does anyone remember CJOM out of Lemington in the early 70s? The rock was a little harder with a rougher edge.

Anyway, back to a more whimsical note: Dominican vs. Regina. For full disclosure, I will reveal that my sister attended Regina, I went to school next door and I knew plenty Regina neighbors and sister's classmates. I also knew Dominican girls, dated one worked with others.........There are certain urban legends or myths that were and still are carried on through the decades....1. Regina girls preferred DeLasalle guys. 2. Domincan girls preferred ND guys and were a lot "friendlier". I currently work about an hour away from the old neighborhood and one my coworkers is a mid 70s Regina grad....the above issues are still discussed. Question for all: Is there any basis for the legend? What is your opinion?

Zitro

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Carpet

Zitro

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had better luck with girls from GP South and Denby.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 798
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: What establishments haven't up been in the eastside?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: You did know that Frank Zappa had a twin brother didn't you?

Jcole

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I was a Reginite, as you all know, and 75% of my boyfriends were Austin guys. The rest were ND. Never dated a De la Saller. Don't think I ever knew one. My sister was Regina, and she dated ND, with one or two strays from outside the Catholic school system.
Regina girls were about a 50/50 split on 'friendly'. A lot of us really liked to cut loose when we could. And I swear, 75% of us smoked.
Regina and Dominican had one hell of a rivalry when it came to 1) guys and 2) basketball, but nothing was bigger than the powder puff game. The Sharks and the Jets had nothing on the Satellites and the Ravens.
I remember when I was getting ready to go to HS, my parents absolutely refused to allow me to go to Dominican because the nuns were too liberal and the girls could wear slacks. The slacks were part of a uniform, but it was still no go. I had a choice between Regina and Denby, if that tells you what my folks thought of Dominican.

Zitro

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Care to rephrase this please?

Z: What establishments haven't up been in the eastside?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: Sorry Mr. Z, I'll try better next time and maybe read my posts before sending.

correction: (notice the eraser shavings are gone and no smudges) What establishments haven't YOU been in ON the eastside?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the looks of the matchbook collection - Z has missed very few bowling alleys and beergardens! I HAVE to see if the Golden Buddah is still there! They had those big Morticia chairs and made the Mai Tais in those heavy glass coconut shells. I may have appropriated some of those in my day - and they may be in my basement.

Zitro

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Usually I can figure out what the gist is and don't need any splainin' but couldn't in this case. Sorry.

This would fall under the previous right under your nose theme wouldn't it?