Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: You would be right in your assumption.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: That was one of the more poignant differences between the two schools..at least in the early 70s...The dress code and open campus policy. Interestingly, ND dress code became more liberal in early 70s and the seniors at least had an open campus policy. Regina at that time was still run like a military school...never forget during the late spring of 71 Regina girls were allowed to go outside between classes in a single file line with a nun in the back of the line admonishing any student who dared to look over toward those ND guys who were hooting and hollering like a bunch of sailors on shore leave.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: That was a complete &*%$ up on my part. Even I didn't understand what was posted.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - I REMEMBER that - and also the Streaker from ND - What a riot - I'm guessing we got the "rent-a-cops" shortly there after - and the doors on the ND side were chained shut - Nothing like a fire safeTy hazard - but the womenfolk were safely locked inside

Zitro

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought for a moment 7 with the specials k's logged on as you.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 803
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Wasn't Dave Coulier (Full House) somehow involved with that infamous streaker incident? They probably needed to build a 10 ft wall with a moat between the two schools to truly keep Regina girls safe

Here's a more recent memory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DLRNuNEAUNI

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG and KR, remember the Great Green Wall that they erected about that time? It ran the length of the two schools from just behind the auditorium all the way back to the parking lot. That was supposed to stop the franternization, but all it did was give us a shelter to smoke next to.
CFG, I remember the chained doors, too, and the two 'rent a pigs'. Butch, Big Pig and Chris, Little Pig. They signed my yearbook.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my day, NOBODY from ND dated Dominican girls. Hell, I married 2 Regina grads. My sister did go to Dominican.

TS, it's strange that your folks entrusted you to the Adrian Dominicans for grade school but not for high school.

Was Jim Freeman still playing the eastside bars when y'all frequented them?

I remember waiting outside of Furtney's (later Mr. F's) on Groesbeck on the eve of my 21st birthday for midnight & my first (legal) drink. Think that may have been a portent of something?

Jcole

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, as I stated earlier in the thread, I used to go to one of the local bars in town on my senior year lunch hour. Sign of things to come? yeah.
The nuns at St. Jude weren't liberal in the early days. I think by 8th grade and Sr. Joyce, my parents were starting to get a little suspicious, and stories they heard from their friends put a screeching halt to any discussion of Dominican. The nuns at Regina were the re-incarnation of the gestapo at Stalag 17, and that's what my folks wanted in that day of hippies and all them other 'ies' types. Little did they understand the workings of a 70's teen age girls mind. Even after 3 other daughters, they were at a loss.

Jcole

Post Number: 3013
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, i missed your post about the wall and moat. They did build the wall. I can attest to that. I'll check the yearbook for pics.

Jcole

Post Number: 3014
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, the above post was for KR.

Zitro

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Jim Freeman was around. I think he used to play at the Railroad Crossing a lot

Jcole

Post Number: 3017
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Jim Freeman folk music?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 804
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: On a similar note little did my parents know what was in store for their first son at NDHS..going from a regimented, rote memorization of the Baltimore catechism education at St. Jude to a liberal thinking environment provided by the Marist priests and brothers. Times were a changing fast. I may have reported this story before but one's memory sinks into the abyss of 4000 plus posts.. During my freshman religion class I was put in charge in organizing a discussion group on birth control (other discussions were on civil rights, the morality of the Vietnam war, the Warren Commission report etc. etc...you get the picture). Here I was just a few years removed from learning the facts of life taking on a pretty heavy subject just months removed from St. Jude religion classes. Anyway, after collecting information from Planned Parenthood, and interviewing ND and SJ priests (some on tape, man I wish I still had those tapes) our discussion group presented to the rest of the religion class. Interestingly, all the ND priests and brother espoused "Let your conscience be your guide" philosophy citing world hunger and questioning church morality in the bedroom. All of the St. Jude priests went strictly by the book except one. I played the interview tape for my parents. The &*%$ hit the fan. Paying that kind of tuition for "that" was questioned.

ALL: trivia: (this is way to easy) Who was the priest at St. Jude that was the exception to traditional dogma of Church teaching at that time?

Jcole

Post Number: 3019
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was 1970? I'd have to guess Fr. Villarot

Jcole

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, wait this would have been 1966, wouldn't it?
Fr. Grady is the easy answer, but it sounds like Fr. Ording.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna go with the easy answer. Fr. Grady.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing the answer, but don't know what the exception was. I DO remember, having everything we learned in the first 6 years of Baltimore Catechism, go weird for the next 6 years of religious ed - or lack thereof.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 805
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The time was early 1968. The answer Fr. Tom Grady. I have the feeling Fr. Tom Villerot was old school.

Jcole

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He may have been, but Fr. Tom definitely wasn't. I thought it might be him, but it seemed too easy.

Jcole

Post Number: 3028
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why, but I thought you graduated in 1970, KR. What year was it?

Eastburn

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, Freeman did impressions of other singers & some of the raunchiest patter you've ever heard. He worked a lot of places, even downtown but was an eastside guy.

Jcole

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name is familiar, but I don't think I ever saw him.
I went through a real folk period at one time, and thought I had heard of him then
But, I like raunchy, too

Kellyroad

Post Number: 806
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

graduated in 71. The Fr. Grady interview was during my spring religion class at ND in 1968. I made appointments with varying priests to interview them both at ND and at the St. Jude rectory.

Jcole

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha. I was confused. I thought you did the interview in fall of freshman year for some reason.

Eastburn

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By golly, he's still around. Must be older than me. Is that possible?

TS, please don't play the clip on the website, your tender ears can't handle it.

http://www.mindofafreeman.com/

Jcole

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, pshaw, I heard worse from my dad.
As a matter of fact, I do remember him. Must have caught his show somewhere. Did he used to play around Royal Oak?

Eastburn

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably. He's been all over in the past 40+ years. As I recall from way back then, we always had a great time when we went to see him. One of my high school buddies was his body guard at one time. I guess he pissed off enough people that he needed one.

Jcole

Post Number: 3040
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go this guy in Rochester whose name was Larry McClean. He was clean, but a really good singer and guitar player. He knew everything, and could twist the words up and make any song his own. lots of fun

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So,Frank Zappa had a twin brother? Hmmm...could be Tom Tristani after all. I recall he used to play the coolest music in class and even some Frank Zappa which was so surreal considering. I remember Frs Ording and Grady. Villerot was old school. I liked Fr. Matthew the best.

Oh, you guys want some good nitty gritty. I made it on the DeLasalle running track one august night round bout end of July with a former classmate from my 77 class.

I chose to go to Dominican because Regina wore uniforms and was too strict. I was so anti uniform then. And as for "powdrepuff" games. They ended up more tackle than the pro games on TV. Those girls were brutal, especially our Ravens. Let me tell you we had some girls on that team that could have qualified for the Detroit Lions. They were the same girls who scared me out of a month of gym when I was in 9th grade. God, what a gawky geeky year that was! Sheesh! My mother, God love her was still in the midst of a stretch and sew class and I ended up being her guinnie pig model for her creations in double knit(The horror! The rash! The hives! Help! No! Step away from the polyester! Step away!)I had powder blue bell bottom polyester double knit pants with the seam sewn up the fronts of the legs and a stretchy red, white and navy blue top to go with it. YEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWW! I actually wish I would have had a school uniform at that point. Oh, and she was doing that granny square crocheting thing and made a white shawl to go with, too. Hello, Jan Brady.

I am going to vere away from that as it is still retroactively horrific.

Bring it! Bring the noise to the blacktop! I am a Raven and Ravens eat the Regina chickies for lunch.

I remember Gino's Falcon. I've never been to the Red Carpet but, I've been to Cadieux Cafe, sort of a pre req for Belgians. They had the bowling there. Been to The Whitney, Sinbads, Roostertail and most of Greektown with a yen for Plackas upstairs after midnight. I worked a temp job at the RenCen. Been to Cobo, Joe Louis, Olympia, Fisher Theatre, Ford Auditorium and the City Club, St Andrews and Clutch Cargos. Also did a gig at the Van Dyke place decorating for Christmas with the Maitre De Hotel at the time Michael LaFleur who took us all to Sinbads for dinner as a treat.

Any of you ever heard of the restaurant Pirate's Cove on Mack not too far from Cadieux Cafe? I had a good friend, Patrick who owned it and cooked up the best tortellini and tortellachi.

My daughter lives over on Lochmoor. She's 23 now.
Her folks own a tennis and fitness club on the eastside.

Anybody been to Pollas Market on Kelly near 7 mile? My mom says they're still running.

My dad was laid out at Calcaterra Duneral Home which is now an auto parts store. It was used for the movie The Rosary Murders with Charles Durning and oddly enough my dad was laid out in the same room they used in the movie. Through my sister MaryAnn's then husband, Donnie we knew Calcaterra's because they were relatives to Donnie.

I've also been to most of the halls on Gratiot with Athena sticking out and on Harper, too. Two of my favourite music stores are on Gratiot; Melodies And Memories and Record Time. I think I may register at both places when I get married so I can get back most of the record collection I had to sell them.

When I was 25-26 my friends and I would go out to the bars and head over to 8 mile road to Ram's Horn which became Horn Of Plenty for food afterwards and sit there till like 7/8 in the morning. Those were the fays I was hitting the club scene 7 nights a week. I hung out mostly on Woodward near McNichols and seven mile, Greenfield and Joy, Jefferson and Alter and Off I96 on Holden in the inner city by the GM Building.

I did some performing at one a couple times and netted quite a tidy profit, too.

Feel free to look me up on Facebook and mypace and connect.

I wanted to say I am really enjoying this forum and reconnecting to Detroit and things I remember. You have been really great to me. Thanks all. Time for me to go get some ruby slippers I can click myself back home on. The only reason besides my couple good friends to hang around is Wrestlemania XXV coming next year. I love my WWE, ECW, RAW and Smackdown and TNA, too. Those Divas, "That's tits, man!"