Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS: I mentioned this earlier in the post, but like most things I say they get ignored. Jim Freeman was a regular staple (Not Staple Singer) that would be a different genre, at the Railroad Crossing on 8 Mile and Hoover. He may have played in RO but this was his main haunt for years.

Zitro

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Thanks for sharing all of your eastside memories. I have to ask for clarification on this one. It's not to be personal, it just didn't make any sense to me.

My daughter lives over on Lochmoor. She's 23 now.
Her folks own a tennis and fitness club on the eastside.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Z - I had the same thought - but hadn't read through the entire postings, and thought I'd missed something.

Zitro

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Very interesting insight to the "Times are a Changin'" era we went through in the late 60's early 70's. It was a very confusing time given the staid "this is the way it is", "don't question anything just believe" mantra we were exposed to at St. Jude, then to be indoctrinated at ND to a more of an open minded way of thinking. Too bad there wasn't better communication with our parents on this so they had a chance to understand us. Although it might have closed the school down on the spot!

In one of the ND YB's there is an article on ND beginning an open classroom type setting, referencing nice chairs and plush carpeting to ease the room and invite open discussion regarding religion. There's also a poll showing how the different classes felt about the Vietnam War. When I get the chance I'll try to post those, it fairly telling.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious - did everyone continue on with their Catholic faith - fall away, come back, never leave???? Inquiring minds - well one inquiring mind - wants to know

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 807
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like we're going to clear those semis off the black top to make room for the next smackdown. Z, If you don't mind take care of concessions. 7 can do the video (sorry Z), 7 Kid can organize security, I'll do the admissions and JC you're up first. BTW, EB and his fellow bikers may be asked by 7KID to supplement security....so EB brush up on crowd control. CFG: Perhaps you and Laing and work 1st aid

Diane: I also had the same puzzled look when reading the statement about your daughter. I assumed it meant her in-law folks but I could be wrong. Anyway thanks for sharing all those great memories of the east side. It's always interesting to explain the concept of feather bowling to non-eastsiders isn't it? It seems we all have a story or two related to Calcaterra Funeral home some, of course sad, others quite amusing. That funeral home was key part of St. Jude history (There are some interesting anecdotes about Calcaterra in previous posts). Anyway, you mentioned the Rosary Murders...coincidentally, Dennis Wrosch (SJ class of 67) had a bit part in that movie (Don't know if you caught that in previous posts..and no, I'm not his agent)
BTW, details please on what night club and what kind of performances.

Zitro

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in for the concessions.

It will be an eclectic mix of Spanish & Polish fair.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the "First Aid" assignment, KR - I'd be useless in the smackdown.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 808
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if Pollas Market is actually open? The orignal sign is there but I'm not sure. I guess I could call information. Duh.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3043
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, sort of a Jose Babuska style?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 809
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Just a thought. Call Pollas, perhaps they can give a "St. Jude" discount for concessions.

Jcole

Post Number: 3044
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, who am I smackin' down?? Or are you all just smackin' me?
As to Polla's, I posted a picture on FB that I took in June, and it had specials listed on the sign, but there was like one car there, so I'm not sure.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 810
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: You may be up 2nd
Re: Continuation of Catholic faith: I try,,,The "Catholic Faith" encompasses so much and has many interpretations by so many. Regiisterd parishioner, regular church goer, educated kids in the catholic school system...yeah count me in

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week when I drove by - it looked closed

Kellyroad

Post Number: 811
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I'll paraphrase: Regina chickies are fodder for Ravens.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KR - Glad you're in - but strange that there are so many interpretations. I'm in - never left - regular church goer - but a couple of decades of simply "spending an hour of quiet time" in church, as opposed to paying attention to Mass. Got back into the questioning and remedial reading for the past few years.

Jcole

Post Number: 3045
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, thanks KR. Mary went to Regina too. And she finished 4 years. I had to leave after 3, so she's more eligible to protect the Saddleite honor.

Zitro

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The following businesses filed for Chapter 7 or 11 protection in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Detroit Aug. 26-Sept. 1. Under Chapter 11, a company files a reorganization plan that the court must approve. Chapter 7 involves total liquidation. Matai Machine Tools Inc., 29108 Lorie Lane, Wixom, voluntary Chapter 11.

Most Popular
How To Overcome The Fear Of Public Speaking
The Three Laws Of Success
Announcement Of Employee Leaving Company
Eight Major Job Trends For 2008
10 Jobs That Pay $30 An Hour Assets and liabilities not available. Brothers Family Inc., dba Polla's Market and Polla's Food Market, 19306 Kelly Road, Harper Woods, voluntary Chapter 7. ...

It would only let me read part of the article

Zitro

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need some mud to make this real interesting.

Jcole

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, get back to your concession stand.
Mud, indeed

Kellyroad

Post Number: 812
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: speaking of eclectic, there was a Mexican/Polish restaurant on Vernor and 52nd in the 80s called Pedro Wisniewski's, no lie. I was torn between ordering enchiladas or pierogies

Kellyroad

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: you're not chickening out are you?

Jcole

Post Number: 3049
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, there was a chain called Jose Babushka in the 90's. I went to one in Grand Rapids. Very limited on the Polish side, but fun none the less.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 814
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Let's keep it clean. Ok, ok, you operate the hose. Do you happen to have one of those fire hydrant wrenches?

Zitro

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS: It's got to be entertaining. Look at the world we live in today. No longer is pugilistic competition enough to stimulate our senses we now have Mixed Martial Arts where the chance of someone dying instantaneously is a distinct possibility. Now what harm would it be to have a couple of gals mixing it up in a little mud be?

Jcole

Post Number: 3050
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, yes I'm chickening out. Diane is at least 7 years younger than I am, and I haven't been in a good cat fight in 20 years.
Also, I wouldn't want to take precedence over a true Regina grad like Mary. It would be disrespectful.

Zitro

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Pedro Wisniewski's sounds like my kind of place, is it still open?

Jcole

Post Number: 3051
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, why don't you just go the Jello route? It's less opaque when smeared on.

Zitro

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG might be better suited for this anyway, her reputation for exposing herself already at St. Jude functions is historic in nature and would just add to her legacy.

Zitro

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jello works too, I'm flexible