Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Yes there seem to be many interpretations when asked the question about "practicing". Attending "Mass" as a community (as you say an hour of "quiet time") is just one facet. Even the dogma of the sacraments have different interpretations as evidenced in our life time by Vatican II changes. More later

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3052
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there might be one Jose Babushka's left in Holland, MI.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 816
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: When Pedro's opened it got a lot of fan fare..great review in the Free Press. That was during the era when all the suburbanites were heading to the Mexican restaurants on the weekends (over an hour wait at some of them)...Pedros, although not right in the heart of mexican town enjoyed a spill over effect and quite frankly the novelty of its cuisine. Too bad it was short lived.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'm back. My daughter is my birth daughter. I unfortunately had her out of wedlock and I was just 22 and still living at home with no real finances and dad was an alcoholic who abused me terribly and I could not see her coming into that environment. Because of his abuse I suffered an excessively low self esteem and how could I be there 100% for my daughter? So, I put her up and years later finally got to meet her. She is almost the exact duplicate of my looks when I was that age. She has two great parents and has had a great life so far.

About the Smackdown: I was thinking a ladders, tables and chairs match. No wimpy mud for me.

In answer to the club performed at: I performed at The Deck on Jefferson and Alter. If anyone saw the movie Victor Victoria with Julie Andrews, that would describe my performance. I really had fun. It was lip syncing and my music of choice was:
David Bowie-Blue Jean
Romeo Void-Never Say Never
Billy Idol-Rebel Yell
Grace Jones-Pull Up To My Bumper

Re: Continuation of Catholic Faith: I am a recovering Catholic. I was reborn several years ago and am now a Christian. I don't have a denomination because I feel they are too restrictive, box like and too dogmatic. I am just a Christian with very simple, direct beliefs that don't involve complex theories and regulations.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the reminder Z - I had thought that revelation was long forgotten.
JC -Go ahead, disrespect me! Thanks for the deference to my 4 year Regina record - but I am a wimp at heart and definitely know I could not do the Saddelite honor proud in this situation. I too - chicken out! Working all day on the clean-up/Planting Sunday had me looking for the bus that had to have smacked me down at 7 and Redmond!

Jcole

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, it seems we have reached a point in our lives where we have decided that pacifism is the better policy, at least where our well being is concerned. I welcome you as a comrade in (or out of) arms.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 817
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear your daughter's life course went all right.

It sounds like you're taking the smackdown seriously. Although I can't say the same for the other probable contenders :-). We may have to make a decision to call this off if there is going to be a no show. I'll check with the other producers and staff and make a final decision before allowing the semis to return to the blacktop. If there is a no show that means RAVENS RULE.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - Truer words were never spoken! I return the welcome!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can live with that!

Jcole

Post Number: 3057
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I remember that when I was in HS, the Saddelites always ruled, so we can let the Ravens have a turn. After all, Dominican is long gone, but Regina lives on.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: I may not have all the talent in the world, but one thing I was blessed with was an excellent memory.

Zitro

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WIMPS!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 818
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And now there are no more all girls catholic schools in Detroit. Even though Regina was in Harper Woods it did serve the Detroit Catholic populace..another footnote in the Detroit Catholic history

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - You DO have an incredible memory! I'll have to be more aware from here on out, that not every one is as memory-impaired as I am! :-)
and, yes.....I will cop to being a wimp!

Jcole

Post Number: 3058
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, Regina is still there, in the suburbs, and Dominican is gone.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dominican gone - and with it one saddle shoe, ripped from the door handle of an innocent 68 Dodge Dart, while riding around the school, wishing the graduates good luck in the future!

Jcole

Post Number: 3059
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was just cruel of those Ravens. They could have at least taken the pair.(I HATE saddle shoes. I had to wear them as a little kid with flat feet, and then again at RHS.)
When did they close down , CFG?

Zitro

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, Okay it will be conceded there will be no rumble in the jungle, but life if full of compromise. I see no hurt in still letting you ladies just roll around in the mud/Jello or both!. Think of the ticket revenue and concession sales. We can use the proceeds to fix the poor bell tower cfg has agreed to paint.

Think about St. Jude gals, do it for the sake of all that mattered in your life at one point.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dominican closed in 2005. It originally opened in 1940.

Yes, Dominican had the sense to leave people wanting for more when it was still at the top. Regina just doesn't have the good sense to leave when the leaving's good(tongue in cheek here, not to be taken seriously) LOL

Kellyroad-I'm all on the RAVENS for the win at Smackdown! Forfeiture is fine for me, a win is a win.

I'm glad my daughter is happy.

We can do one jello and one mud match along with a basic match, tag team, and the ladders/tables/chairs along with the main championship title match.

I would like Ric Flair there to provide the "Wooooooooooooooooooo! We gotta get Jerry Lawler and Jim Ross for commentating.

Oh, what is the prize for the winner?

Jcole

Post Number: 3063
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think about it, Z. We are the same age as you are. Do you REALLY want to see us covered in Jello, or mud, or whatever?

Zitro

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, now when do we get going?

Zitro

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Icy Hot Patches for life.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why they would want a shoe that I had worn for 4 years, was always a mystery to me. I don't know when they closed down, but know they went co-ed, then charter, then closed. I don't know if the building is still there. Next time I catch a movie at the Civic, I'll check it out.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,,, I guess the jello wouldn't be so bad!

Zitro

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you're talking cfg, Twisted Sister?? Come on now it's for all the good in your life the education at St.Jude afforded you.

Jcole

Post Number: 3066
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, now I KNOW that you're just in this for the humiliation factor.

Zitro

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm Shocked and Awed you would suggest such a thing my dearest sis.

Jcole

Post Number: 3067
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make it Raspberry and I'm in

Zitro

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES! That's 2 bouts of begging and whining I've won this week. A new record

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raspberry's good. With all the craters on the "blacktop", we've got plenty of cover!