Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Archive through July 31, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 772
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they get swept tomorrow, I will have to agree, cash in the chips, Tigers will need to get rid of a few sore thumbs after the season is over.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 677
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't give up the ship.

What hurts the Tigs is that they have 2 starting Ps - Bonderman and Willis out.

What does Dombrowski do? Go after another starting P?????? (then what happens next year with JV, Kenny, Bondo, Robertson, Galarraa, Willis. That would be 6 + 1.

What really hurts is that Minn and CWS play a 4-game series starting tomorrow.

You do the math but if the Tigs did two Ws vs. CWS and Minn and CWS split 4 and the Tigs take 3 of 4 from CLE, we have a REAL pennant race.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas"

Gotta agree, lose today and it's over and out.

Rogers won't be back. Unfortunately most of the others will. I'm quite certain we have the highest paid under performing starters in baseball. Wonder what we're paying per win for the 5 who were supposed to start all season.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, the Tigs problem in a word: Pitching.

(yeah, I hate the double plays, etc.)

Rogers won't be back???

I also think Willis is a real wild card. Folks wrote him off early and then after the debacle vs CLE they said - career over.

We'll see if he can get healthy (cortisone shot for his knee) + mechanics.

I check the Lakeland boxes to see if he can get the ball over the plate. Vs. CLE he couldn't even throw an intentional pass without drama.

Willis is a high risk / high reward player.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5180
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I felt yesterday like they just weren't worthy.

A lot of people said that a month or two ago, but of course I had to wait for the inevitable righting of the ship, and then see what we did in the clutch against divisional opponents. We've lost two big-time series at home this month. That's a poor verdict. Win today and take three from Cleveland and there's still a "chance," but not a great outlook having seen what we've seen (a blown save and a key error two nights ago, and a poor start and terrible clutch hitting approaches against quality relievers yesterday).

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5181
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And at what point should Leyland show the appearance of urgency? Going into this series he says "it's just July, I just hope we play some games that matter in September." Yes, these guys should be able to motivate themselves in a key series against the division leader, but when they come up just short, you start to think that a little extra gusto and spirit is what they need. I hate Ozzie Guillen but the one thing I admire is his demeanor toward his team, because it works. In '06 our team had a ton of gusto on the bench, and they brought it onto the field. Leyland needs to restore that somehow, and not stand by and watch the zombies come up just short. This is one thing that a manager is supposed to do.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well moving Rodney to closer shows some urgency

401don

Post Number: 680
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's also impt. for next year. Give Rodney and/or Zumaya some opportunities to close to see if we have to go out and get a closer next winter.
Gotta say Miner has impressed in both his starts more than I would have expected.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 777
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zoom was taken out of the game today, looks like it had something to do with his surgically repaired shoulder.

edit: just announced he is day to day with right triceps tightness.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on July 27, 2008)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5184
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, SoD. Just found out about that.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5188
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and Rodney was strong. Thowing pitcher's pitches, too. I like that for a change.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good news is Jones is no longer the closer.
The bad news is that Rodney is the closer.
In my opinion it's six of one, a half dozen of the other.

I don't know what closers are on the market, but hopefully a trade is coming soon.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a rumor out there that DET is after a S.F. reliever?

Flanders_field

Post Number: 779
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack Taschner?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to Burnett?

Flanders_field

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shutout #11 of the season vs Cy Byrd & the Tribe tonight, 5-0. Games like this make me believe that the Tigers will struggle to maintain a mediocre .500 record for the remainder of the season.

Tigers have only one SO to their credit so far.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tigers are just hanging in on a thread, and not because they are good and deserve it, but because our division is so weak. Anything can happen.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to think that I looked at my Pops like he was nuts because he said "Now Cleveland... they got the Tigers number." Damn that man!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2492
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boy! Mark Teixeira has returned to the A.L.! Wheeee!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5208
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now the Indians are playing like the lower-echelon team that they are, and giving us a good strong chance to win.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5213
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but Todd Jones is worse

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and Rodney sucks as a closer.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5214
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what the hell am I watching?

401don

Post Number: 690
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

battle of two pre-season favorites show you how both their seasons turned ugly - bad bullpens

Flanders_field

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12-12 after 4 and a half hours...LOL!!

Will it still be tied 12-12 at 12 in the 12th???

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As if I needed a reason...I will drink to this! Over 5 1/2 hrs after the fact

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5215
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the team

a) kept pace with Chicago
b) definitely took their minds off the loss of Pudge (and it was visible when the comeback got going in the middle innings)
and c) made life miserable for some Ohioans.

Good times.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was quite humorous listening to the smattering of boos that were trying to drown out the "Let's go Tigers" chants in the end. Nice to get the W, but pretty ugly to say the least.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8484
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... I lay low in california for a few days and the Tigers swap out Jones's reliever role and ditch Pudge for relief help. G'lord- a lots happened!

Somebody's gonna have to catch me up to speed on all of the happenings when I get back into town. Phew!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knoc...

Last I checked...there wasn't a column for ugly wins...or close losses...

A win is a win is a win is a win....