Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better send someone over to make the craters deeper.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 819
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: I respect your enthusiasm but it seems pacifism may be the prevailing factor in this match (aka you know what). As far as the prize is concerned the coveted AV cart job is locked up for a while.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on concessions so that will have to be someone elses responsibility.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed J - Agreed!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll volunteer as referee. Does that mean I have to be in the jello or can I officiate from a distance?

What's this reference to age, TS? To me you're both jail bait so you're safe under my refereeage (new word - don't bother to look it up).

Jcole

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, it feels good to be jailbait again. Thanks, EB, I am forever in your debt

Zitro

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You and your sister, she still owes him $20.00 doesn't she?

Jcole

Post Number: 3081
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, shhhh, don't remind him. Anyway, she's been ill, give her a break

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - you DO have a great memory! Glad I don't owe you any money!

Zitro

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there was 10 cents for a milk in 6th grade , but I let that slide.

Eastburn

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not Ruth I'm after. It's her deadbeat husband.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes - if YOU remember it - it MUST BE TRUE! let's see 10 cents with interest for x number of years........ Good thing you're letting that slide!

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane..........how do you look you up on facebook?

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Boys and Girls, the rasberry jello works fine. It's my fave flave. Can we have whipped cream, too? Jello just ain'tjello without it. And Shhhh...don't tell the nuns I said "ain't". They were such proper diction hounds.

Neat liitel story about 3rd grade though. We had an ettiquete minicourse where we had tables set up in one of the classrooms. It was the one closest to 7 mile road on the very corner of 7 mile and whatever that cross street was on that side. The opposite side of the church. Anyhoo....We had plates set up with a slice of cheese and one of bologna, a glass of juice and a fork and knife in the finest plastic money could buy. The plate was fine paper and there was a napkin of elaborate whiteness. The idea was they were going to show us manners. Wel, I just right away put the napkin on my right leg and took up the fork and knife cutting just a couple pieces each of cheese and bologna and set my knife down and then ate the food followed with a curt sip of the juice. Everyone looked at me in disbelief. I had pretty much already learned the manners thing. Just a wee bit of self grandisement here. Now back to the ranch.

Zitro-Can you include a year's supply of tylenol and a subscription to AARP Magazine. You can just send me your used copies if you like. LOL

7_and_kelly_kid: How do I look me up you ask? You just put in my name in the search for friends thingy. Just type in: Diane Margaret VanHollebeke and it should get you to my profile. My pic as of now till I get pics taken and uploaded os of an angel which I feel is pretty representational.
If you want to look me up on Myspace, here's the URL: http://www.myspace.com/aertimy z . Do any of you watch the daytime soap Days Of Our Lives? If so go to: phoenix00proboards51.com I am on there as ElektraWoman.

Do any of you know if there is a website anywhere that our old class pictures would be displayed? Do you think the Archdiosese would know or have a site for them? I would love my class pics from the years I was there. I've got like just two pics of my family and that's it right now. I may post those on facebook and myspace though.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 820
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: I was told the class pictures are stored somewhere in the basement church. There were no class pictures located in the East Catholic Academy (the old St. Jude School) in May 08 just prior to the school closing. It would be nice if some one could scan and download those pictures especially the ones from the early 40s....what a treasure that would be

Kellyroad

Post Number: 821
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: So it looks like you, granny, and the rest of the side car bandits don't need to do security for the smackdown. Sorry about the the cancelation of the potential ref job too.

Diane12163

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone needs to go dig out those pics from the church basement before they are too yellowed and eaten by bugs to be legible. Seriously, can someone contact the church and get them and then clean them up and scan them? I would almost set up a whole separate thing for them. A St. Jude Elementary Official Myspace page would be ideal and the pics can be put into albums according to year. If you all want, I can set up the Myspace account and a bit of the basic info and give whichever of you wants it the URL, email and password. I can set up a new email address just for the page and for us. We need to really try and promote it, too so everyone possible that was an alumni or a teacher can see them. We can put up other pics of the school, church, neighbourhoods, etc. that are new and retro. What does everyone think? Does this sound like a plan? I mean there is so much dying in Detroit and even with our school and church which was our pasts, our heritages and we really should keep it alive for us to remember and for our next generations to see, too. Let me know and also if you want me to set up the myspace and email. Oh, other cool idea about myspace is we can put videos on there and music of the times, too. And those of us with them can shoot videos of things now to showcase on the site.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 822
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: I'm not sure of the different technologies between My Space and Face Book but there are a few videos and scanned class pictures and St. Jude Calenders on the St. Jude Web site via Face book.

If you're not registered on face book do so. Check out the videos.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Detroit-MI/St-Jude-Roman-Catho lic-Parish/13026593213

If permission is granted, scanning, or even taking a picture of a picture, or video recording them digitally is doable. A few of us still live within an hour or so to SJ.One of use at least has a decent background of digital recording (but the AV guy is on hiatus now).

CFG: I know that bell tower painting task was a lot to ask but the next time you see Fr. Bob or Lynn could you get the scoop on the possibility of archiving the class pictures or some of the old St. Jude Calendars? Thanks

Kellyroad

Post Number: 823
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: BTW, you don't even have to be registered on Facebook to check out the photos and videos

Another link just incase you haven't seen. Check out the history section:
http://www.stjudedetroit.com/p arish.htm

Diane12163

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am registered on Facebook and I'll have a squizz at them. Thanks.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - I'll take to Father Robert about the class pictures this weekend.

Zitro

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Don't know if this request eluded you but there used to be an oil painting in the choir room that my mother painted. This would be the room that as you came in the NW entrance and went down the steps to the basement straight ahead used to be the room where the choir practiced, then to the north of that is another room, this was used to hold our vestments. If you could take a peek in there to see I would appreciate it.

This painting would have been of 2 choir boys standing kind of back to back with Cheshire Cat grins on the their faces. Or maybe Father Robert would know if it got moved to the rectory.

Thanks,

Zitro

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: If you can ever take a minute to slow down, take a few minutes to read through some of the past posts, a lot of what you ask has been addressed at one time or another. That's a really funny line about AARP too, except as I've stated before (on this thread) I'm not a really big fan of that organization and some of their affiliations but that's my own belief.

Keep up the good work about your experiences, but again try to slow down as you have to give us old timers a chance to breath once in a while, maybe limit your questions per post to 3 or 4 instead of 11 or 12. LOL LOL

Eastburn

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm about to load up the sidecar & head north for a few days camping with my son & his family at Higgins Lake State Park.

Hope you'll all behave while I'm gone since I don't thing I'll be able to keep an eye on you.

Jcole

Post Number: 3086
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoy, EB. Sounds like a good time. Watch out for deer ticks

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Trails, E - Be careful out there
Can't guarantee any behaving!
Z - I will absolutely look into finding that painting - and let you know this weekend!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and yes, Z - the request DID elude me, must have been one of those weeks that I couldn't keep up with all of you!

Zitro

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Forget the deer ticks watch out for deer period! Have a good one, I love Higgins Lake, north or south side?

Ditto on the misbehaving, can't guarentee it but you can expect a meager effort.

Thanks CFG, I appreciate it. Will you have a camera with you just in case?

Zitro

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well apparently we are getting old ya know. Hint, hint

Kellyroad

Post Number: 824
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: You'll have to forgive Z for his impatience. He is still bitter about not winning the AV job outright. A job coincidentally that requires the ability to multitask, be organized, and take on an unlimited amount of questions.(Allright Z you know I got your back, just funnin ya)

Z brings up a good point. There is a lot of info about St. Jude, especially the school in the first few pages of archived posts. I can appreciate your enthusiasm though...I get real geeked about the early history of the parish/ northeast side neighborhoods and the possibility of getting reacquainted with a former classmate or neighbor on this forum (I did 35 yrs later on another Eastside thread with 7_and_Kelly_Kid who lived right across the street...small world) It would be interesting to discover one of the first graduates of St. Jude school (around 1943) As, I recall there were only a few graduates the first 2 or 3 yrs. It was during WWII. I'm sure some of them are still around. I wonder if any are still in the metro Detroit area. It would be nice just to a a conversation with one of them about what the school was like, what the surrounding neighborhood was like, where did they go to school prior to SJ. etc, etc Perhaps share some photos. St. Jude at that time was in farm country.. I know this because the home I lived in on Eastwood built in 1941 and was one of the first on the block to be built. Heilmann Field was known as Ford's garden (This was before the military base was there in the early 50s) The homes north of 7 and the duplexes on Morang and Moross came a few years later and of course post WWII the pent up demand for housing caused a population explosion in the St. Jude area.

Question to the group: Who is the oldest person that you know that attended St. Jude school and could possibly share their recollections and possibly photos?

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 06, 2008)