Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Archive through July 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is true. Even though Officer H used a fire hose he couldn't get them unstuck.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Big Bill never found us! We were always next to this rockin car at Ballduck ..... it had a two different tassels hanging from the mirror and a whammo decal on the back window ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I've heard stories about that. What ever happened to that guy? He hasn't been on the forums lately. I wonder if he took HT to the Tucson cactus fight championships.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Must be a cheerleader convention in AZ .... I wonder which one can kick the highest ... my money is on HT just like in the unpublished photos of GB and HT in 1959 when they cheered together for the TARS .... Those two guys were really stunning!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Weren't they the only five letter guys ever at Denby???

Letter 1 ... Give me a D
Letter 2 ... Give me a E
Letter 3 ... Give me a N
Letter 4 ... Give me a B
Letter 5 ... Give me a Y

What have you got? ... Oscar and Felix together again.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: They thrilled the whole eastside when they would come out on to the field or the BBall court .... When they would do their synchronized " do Like the Navy does ....Sink um" It was totally special .... I wonder why they never joined the D club for letter sweater winners? BUT - they were the best and I hope that GB does more talking on this thread about those years .... I makes you wonder ... just how good two guys can be when cheering!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I doub't GB will tell us much more. You know how modest he is. Never likes to talk about himself.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: It is time for GB to stand up

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Last time GB stood up it was against Tango while he was cleaning you know what.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: didn't GB also receive a merit badge for sheath cleaning the scout master at the Howell Scout Camp in 57?????

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I remember GB used up cans of Shinola polishing the sheath for his Genuine Roy Rogers horseshoe knife and nail clipper. This was after EF took away his Swiss Navy knife.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both: You two sorry suckers continue to be green with envy that SR fell in love after just one dance...although I will admit to my own degree of envy re: SHY...and to think I took her out when she was just a freshman and decided that I was too intimidated by Officer and Mrs. H.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: GB's Swiss Navy knife had built in fishhooks, gutting knife and fish scaler. EF took it away when she caught him fishing in the science room's goldfish bowl. Made him stay after school a whole week before she would give it back..... It's true, SR did fall in love after one dance, but she had to settle for GB instead.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: GB knew how to dance .... YOU got to be kidding! Please no more joking around on this thread ... this is a serious discussion thread .... everyone is totally honest and forthright about the Tars ... I will be back in a minute - I need to puke!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: GB was so good they even named a dance after him. He invented the Jerk while waltzing with SR.

Goblue

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: Ah yas...ES...the master of the dance called the "White Man's Overbite"...actually, we never saw him dance at Denby...he was always on the sidelines with both hands in his pockets...SR asked me what he was doing...as if she didn't know...I just held her closer during the slow ones...eat your hearts out suckers!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: He might have done his chores around the house on Farmbrook ...but he still cannot dance.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: If you think GB can't dance you should have seen him at the 706 camp outs when the sparks from the campfire got down his shorts.

Goblue

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/ES: The best campfire at D-A was the one when we packed the core of the woodpile for the bonfire with a case of M-80's and cherry bombs during the afternoon before the big deal...I didn't think I was ever going to be able to stop laughing when that sucker went off with several hundred members of the BSA and leaders sitting around singing Cumbyah.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Was your first merit badge the 'PYRO" one???? Your middle name isn't Black Powder is it???

Goblue

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I was just an honest businessman trying to make a buck...I considered the donation of the case of 80's and cherry bombs to be part of the cost of doing business...advertising and charitable contribution to my community. It was beautiful...blew sparks 100 ft. into the night sky...and all over the first 10 rows of observers...brings tears to my eyes just remembering it. The interrogation afterward was intense...but I had my story and I stuck to it...and so did my co-conspiritors.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Way to go brother! My kind of stuff .... it had to be spectacular The legend live on!

Goblue

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: According to the report 7&K was in the third row...and wet his pants...they claimed that the blast scared the shit out of him...I pointed out that there was a major difference between yellow socks and brown shorts.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I always supported other eastsiders like my friend 7&K because he was always color coordinated..... I am sure this was a significant step for him in so many ways.....

(Message edited by Eastside61 on July 22, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of curiosity, would I get the crap kicked out of me if I wore my topsiders, polo shirt and khaki shorts to school back in the day?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L: For the class of 61 you would have been right on and considered a style leader .... For GB's generation who wore white socks and wing tips and baggy pants and just god awful stuff ... well!! no more needs to be said ... they tried but were not known for dressing very well..... we all know that GB will try to deny it ... but just look at any '59 navigator yearbook! Sad comes to mind!

Goblue

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L & ES: Actually, the class of '59 set the style dress that the younger kids did their best to emulate...which is why SHY, SJ and numerous other foxes in the class of '61 all wanted to date us upper classmen...they were sooooo bored with the boys who ran around in short pants, t-shirts and sneakers with no socks...they were a sight to behold. I kept asking ES's older bro if he couldn't please DO SOMETHING about it...but he said he'd tried and all he could do was shake his head and shrug his shoulders. We really didn't complain all that much...ES's dress just added to the number of available hot foxes, like I said.

In terms of your question...the answer is topsiders, polo shirts would have been right on...shorts were another matter...we all wore khaki's...but not shorts...except to grassers, etc., of course...and a couple of outings to secluded gravel pits or beaches where dress was optional.

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parties after the Denby Games in the parking lot...lots of fun

Eastside61

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D64: You didn't happen to see an older Denby grad - maybe the class of 59 wearing white socks and pants just below his arm pits? Well you caught a glimpse of GB .... He was a mess and a sweet thing named SR did missionary work in trying to assist him as he stumbled and fumbled around the parking lot. He couldn't even write a resume when needed for employment ....

Goblue

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D64: I was ahead of my time...you guys got to party in the parking lot...I got suspended for parking my car in the teachers' lot...always was ahead of my time in the social revolution.

Pay no attention to ES...his envy of the fact that I dated the queen of the cheerleaders has always clouded his thought process.