Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: What a great kid! I'll accept your answer to the Lion's question for now, especially since your kid is wearing honolulu blue and silver!
Just please don't tell me there is a cheese hat in your possession, or that you frequent the dome in M/SP for other than the occasional Tigs game, or that you follow da-Bears or Chiefs or Rams...not now...now that we're in the second year of our five-year rebuilding program...now that Stanton is healthy, and big (cry) baby is gone, and the D-fence is stronger, and the femmy OC is gone. We've got RW and CJ!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, since you're true blue (honolulu) and silver, you are hereby excused from reading my posts which you may have missed while you were gone...although if you do read them, and I certainly recommend you do, I will give you extra credit, and delegate my AV cart duties to you for a day of your choosing!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, did Orrico have an older brother named Frank? I knew him and Drake Okie.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 And Kelly: Yeah. I'm almost 99 and 9/10ths percent certain he did have an older bro named Frank and were you in a close class to 77 to know Drake? He was like so tall and I was the next tallest. We always got put at the end of lines or the back row for pictures of the class. Do you still talk to Drake at all?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm more Frank's age.
Drake lived nearby, and he was one of the "little kids" who would occasionally get drafted into playing army. He was bigger for his age like you said, so he might have even made it out onto the blacktop for baseball with us, although he was much younger so I don't think so. One year they moved out...just don't know what year. His Mom was nice...I remember stopping by her porch for a chat (and a popsicle) once in a while...Drake was just a toddler then I think.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 7K - Yes, I AM true HB&Silver - Watching every - sometimes painful last second - of every game, know that THIS year, will be the year of the LIONS! No jumping on the bandwagon for me, I've been riding with the Lions faithful for the duration!

Fvfromd
Username: Fvfromd

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all. I stumbled upon this site looking for some info on Polla' Mkt. Reading through these posts brought back a ton of memories. I grew up on Novara just west of Redmond, went to SJ school for 1st,2nd, and 8th grade (1977). I remember Okie, Wandzel,Orrico,etc.....My brother went there in the 80's, my sister in law taught there for a couple of years in the 80's. What a beautiful church! (remember around holidays when both the upper and lower church were filled?)And, what a unique area to grow up in. (it seemed there were kids everywhere!) It is depressing to drive by the area now. Anyways, to Diane: do you remember the Fournier's, Babinski's, Babel's, Gerbe's, Drouin's? I vaguely remember you because your last name is similar to mine. As I said I only went to SJ for the three years, so some of the class I really do not remember. All for now........

Diane12163

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fvfromd: I totally remember Wandzell. I think his first name was Greg. I remember Babinski too. Do you remember a guy named Doug? He would have graduated round 75-76. Also Kevin Kinsel? I remember Drouin's too. I think there was a Nancy Druin. Did you have Mrs. Carloni or Chris Taylor for teachers? Also what is your take on Sr. Pat, the principal?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 847
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fvfrond: Welcome to the Saint Jude thread, glad you stumbled upon it. Your observations are shared by many....a beautiful cathedral like church with kids everywhere. Many of the names you cited are familiar. I went to Saint Jude with Larry Babel (class of 67). You were there during the Fr. Villerot era and of course living off of Redmond on Novara you were at close proximity to those great bells. Hope you will continue to share your experiences of St. Jude and the northeast side neighborhood. What school(s) did you attend when not at St. Jude?

BTW, many photos and video of St. Jude past and present are now on facebook. Check it out.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Detroit-MI/St-Jude-Roman-Catho lic-Parish/13026593213

Kellyroad

Post Number: 848
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mystery Photo Answer: stack of folding chairs in the gym.
7andKelly is the 1st correct respondent. He now joins CFG as a St. Jude Mystery Photo champion.

It looks like future mystery photos need to be more challenging with a new twist.

Fvfromd
Username: Fvfromd

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: I had Mrs. Carloni for a Teacher. She is the one that relly got me to enjoy reading. (She had us read Rumble Fish and the Outsiders.) As to Doug and Kevin Kinsel I do not remember them. Drouin's I see from time to time. Sr. Pat, I do not know what to say. Kellyrd: I attended Burbank for 3 thru 6, Baptist Acad. for 7th and Notre Dame for H.S. I worked at Polla's Mkt. thru High School (what a valuable experience!). I talk to people at work about their neighborhood when they were growing up, and most seem that they did not have a sense of Community? or something. I still remember 90% of the peoples names from Novara.I would see kids in Church that I knew from Heilman park, Cathecism, Burbank, etc. It just felt like an enclave from the rest of the world. WEIRD when I look back on it. I feel that people are cheated by missing out on that sense of community. My wife is from the area ( she went to St. Veronica's and Regina) and she says the same thing. I digress.... Yes the bells were awesome. I still remember feeling in awe when walking into the church. The ceiling, stained glass, the alter WOW. The School: I remember the milk machines, the Gym, the weird lay out (court yard).

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3217
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I do not see where 7 guessed the answer to this at all, let alone correctly.
My correct guess was this:
Jcole

Post Number: 3207
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:39 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
The tops or legs of the folding chairs in the rolling racks

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm baaaack!

Good to see we have a new contributor. Welcome FV.

Also, welcome home, 7, just doesn't seem right without you here.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 849
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I admire your competitive spirit, intuition, and keen eye; however, 7, with his post 1156 on Aug 8. 2008 at 4:19 PM was the first correct answer. Hopefully, you will return for another round of St. Jude Mystery Photo.

Diane12163

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi again FVfromd. I noticed you said your wife went to Regina. Ask her if she remembers Gayle, MaryAnn and Joanne VanHollebeke. You also mentioned Novara. Do you know Steve Parsons? He lived on the corner of Novara and Hayes on the northeast side of the street. I recall reading Rumble Fish and The Outsiders. I think we also had to read Animal Farm and 1984. That might have been high school for me or I read them again in high school(Dominican class of 81). Do you recall Tocco, Cox, Beattie, Tines, Lemanski, Hernalsteen, Hensley, Gentry, Powers? You know, if you had Carloni, then so did I and you were in the same room as me. Are you Belgian by chance? I'm seeing Vanderhausen, VanHooten, Vanderhaven, something close to these.

Jcole

Post Number: 3218
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I concede. I found it within a post of several topics. Sorry

Kellyroad

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FV: You hit the nail right on the head. The prevailing theme in this thread and in some of the other eastside threads was the sense of community and the tremendous number of kids in the neighborhood in a jammed packed school located in a community that housed the largest parish and school in the arch diocese and had great recreation (Heilmann) and shopping (Kelly rd and Eastland).
I worked at Roulos' Plumbing (right next door to Polla's) in the early 70s. Remember very well running errands for my mom at Pollas, having to navigate those narrow aisles in the produce section and waiting in line at the butcher counter seemingly forever. Pollas use to have a beer special day (the 16 ounce E&B was always a favorite), Of course, Merit Drugs on the same block was always a place to get a last minute gift of just hang out in the magazine section. Wasn't Tringali's bakery on the other end of the block?...That was a very busy block wasn't it? I graduated in 71 from NDHS. Coincidentally, the pastor of my current parish is a St. Veronica grade school grad and NDHS alum (76). He is Fr. Bill Promesso. He lived on Collingham just a couple of blocks south of 8 Mi. Small world isn't it?
So FV, are you still in the metro area?

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 10, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks J. The free world can now breathe a sigh of relief. I was hoping this wouldn't have to go to the high court. Better luck next time.

At the risk of confusing some of you with a multi-topic posting, welcome back yourself EB. Thought about you when we almost went to Wimpy's after staying at the PH KOA. Guess you weren't back yet anyway.

Now if we can only get Laing to forgive us...come to think of it this thread can sure be a skin thickness tester at times...especially if you leave town for a few days.

Diane12163

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad! Oh my God! I totally know Fr. Bill Promesso. He is the son of my mom's best friend who she grew up with Antoinette Promesso and his dad was Benny. The Promessos were so close to us I would call them Aunt Toni and Uncle Benny and always thought of Bill as a cousin. He nad I played tug of war in my backyard on 14791 Manning. The Promessos, George and Joan Kurtz(Centerline), the Brodeurs(My aunt and uncle Dorothy and Tony from Three Mile Drive in Grosse Pointe) and my mom and dad(Margaret and Marcel VanHollebeke used to play pinnocle once a month at each of their houses and they'd take me with so I could play with the kids and hang out. We went to Collingham alot and my mom is Paula Promesso(Bill's sister) Godmother. I went to Palm Sunday service at St. Cyprian's in Riverview. We went to Paula's wedding to Dave Gymerick and they have three kids. Bill has a dog named Duchess which was a nickname his father gave to his mother. Toni ended up living in the apartments that my mom lived at in Sterling Heights, The Kingsley Apartments. Toni and Benny are both gone now but his brother Sam is still around, really looks a lot like Benny and has a lot of the same mannerisms. My aunt Dorothy is gone as is Joan Kurtz. George got remarried a while back.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 851
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: It is indeed a small world isn't it? Saw Fr. Bill this morning and maybe you and I bumped shoulders on Palm Sunday. Fr. Bill has been our pastor for just over 3 yrs and is one of the most dynamic homilists I've heard. He teaches homiletics at Sacred Heart Seminary. My wife and I were to go Spain with Fr. BIll in Oct. on a pilgrimage trip but the trip was cancelled due to insufficient numbers needed to book the trip and Fr. Bill's recent announcement of a 3 month study sabbatical starting in Sept. His current dog is "Bingo" a goldendoddle. Fr. Bill often uses eastside stories and family anecdotes to make points in his sermons. It's nice to know an east sider from the old hood.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 852
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane:

P.S. Is Judy Kurtz (SJ class 67) any relation to the Kurtz name you mentioned?

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 10, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small world! I went to school with Fr. Bill at NDHS...hung out with him a few times back then...good kid, and excellent Priest now...great sermons...I've even seen him on the local Catholic channel.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Welcome back. It's good to know that you and the side car bandits are now available for any needed security services

Eastburn

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granny & I are armed & ready when needed.

Jcole

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has Granny got that purse loaded up with bricks, EB? That and a cane will cause some serious damage

Diane12163

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad---Yes, Judy Kurtz is Joan and George Kurtz's daughter. I think she's the eldest. When I knew them they lived in Centerline but, they moved there from Detroit. I would have seen Bill last year at Palm Sunday. I lived in Livonia for a year and a bit and just on a lark went to St. Cyprians for the mass. (www.stcyprians.com)It was really nice. A distinct memory of that day was that when I was driving there, it was very dismally cloudy and there was a thick fog everywhere. I almost couldn't find the church as going for the first time it is a harder place to locate unless you're very familiar with the area. The streets to get there turn and twist oddly and it's easy to take a wrong one. So, I get to the church and sit down and then Bill tells us we must go into the other area, the fellowship area so we get up and go and there he does the blessing of the palms and reads from the Bible then has the choir sing and we all line up to get the palms and then proceed to walk in a processional from the fellowship hall back into the main church. Well, when we walked outside the rain had stopped, the fog was gone and not a cloud in the sky. It was bright sunny blue! I took it as a miracle from God for the special day and it brought me such joy. Bill really is a great homilist and his life stories are so pleasant to listen to and always right on the mark. As I recall, he told the story of being a child and having to go through Easter week which was long and so many rituals to do and oh would it ever end so Easter could arrive and dinner be had and Easter baskets plowed through but, then he learned the lessons of humility and acceptance and how each of these rituals meant something special. Everybody was sitting there in rapt attention. I, too saw him a few times doing The Mass For Shut Ins which I always thought came on way too early for anyone to watch. It came on at like 6 in the morning. Yawn. Oh, for the record; I always won at Bill's and my tug of war matches. Mess with the best, perish like the rest!

Eastburn

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing she had in the sidecar with her was a cocktail.

She doesn't use a cane but, if she ever needs one, perhaps a sword cane would be the thing for security duty.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: a cocktail, sword cane and let's add a leather vest...the imagery alone will be keep any crowd well behaved.

Diane: I recall Fr. Bill's story of having to sit at the kid's table at a holiday meal (the small card next to the furnace table away from the adults ) in his home (It was often at his home because it had a finished basement with a lot of room) conveyed the lesson of humility and gradual acceptance into a family ("like the family of the church") This was done with time honored rituals......He shares many humorous anecdotes about his family and extended family to convey a liturgical theme. When Fr. Bill first arrived many in the St. Cyprian congregation would often give applause after some of his sermons. The applause is becoming rarer however,...I'm not sure if it's because the norm is always an inspirational homily or that church decorum has settled to realize that the homily is a part of Mass and not a dramatic performance. None the less, I don't recall another priest with that type of talent to speak.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 855
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: No doubt you won at tug of war. If you went at the tug of war matches like you do with the Raven smack down, Bill had no chance. Did the picture of the folding chairs get your heart pumping?

Diane12163

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad I agree with you. He really is quite good. He actually has a PhD in public speaking. And I know recall about his dog Bingo. He had Duchess but Duch died and he got Bingo. His mom and my mom loved Bingo. They used to go together to play all the time. I remember we used to play bingo at home. We had a set of hard cards, paper cards, dobbers and chips and of course the numbered balls in the drum. We had fun and played for coins. I don't know if you remember a group called the Penny Club. My mom and dad belonged and they played cards predominantly and would have socials. My dad was also in the Army from 42 to 45. A couple of my sisters worked at the Federal Reserve bank Downtown and my cousin Sharon Conlon still works there after 30 years. Do you remember a Lorette Lloyd at all? Or Hartzel or Stricker(the last names)?