Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3222
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The only thing she had in the sidecar with her was a cocktail"
Was that on purpose?
Sidecar cocktail:
First served up at Harry's New York Bar in Paris this classic is one of our favorite cocktails.
1 1/2oz. Brandy or Congac
1 oz. Cointreau or Triple Sec
1 oz. Lime or Lemon Juice
(your preference, we like to use lime juice)
Lemon Wedge or Twist
Granulated Sugar

Wet rim of a Cocktail glass and dip in the sugar.Combine first three ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker.Strain into the cocktail glass.Garnish with Lemon.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 856
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: We can all thank JC for the investigative work on the sidecar cocktail. I wonder if there's a kiddie sidecar cocktail...one without the brandy, cognac, cointreau or triple sec...We can call it the booster seat sidecar cocktail and sell it instead of the adult beverage when the crowd gets to rowdy at the smack down.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 857
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Don't recall a Penny Club or the last names you mentioned but I do have a St. Jude memory concerning Judy Kurtz......for some reason or other I distinctly remember she was the first person to tattle on me in school. It was the first grade. Sr. Madonna Marion was walking up the aisles to check our charting when all of a sudden Judy Kurtz blurted out to Sister "You should see ____ ____'s folder, it's got papers all over, it's real messy". I learned a few important life lessons that day....1. Sr. Madonna Marion was kind and patient 2. It's important to be neat and organized and last but not least 3. know who's got your back
So Judy if you ever read this post, Thank You. :-)

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 11, 2008)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Are you sure it wasn't Judy Hensler instead of Judy Kurtz? Sounds like her tattling on the Beav.

Zitro

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Do you remember a Jim Schmidt who worked at Roulo's? He was my age but I know he worked there during HS. He went to Burbank/Denby.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 858
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Judy Kurtz was a lot more "delicate" than Judy Hensler. I know I would have had a smack down with Judy Hensler right there in the St. Jude patio....duty girls or no duty girls it wouldn't even have made it to the black top. You never, never fought a girl in grade school but if Judy Hensler was there and she tattled on me the way she did on Theodore Cleaver...Well, now you got my blood boiling *_*

Kellyroad

Post Number: 859
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: worked at Roulo's in 1970. didn't know Jim

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad: No, the pic of the chairs didn't get my heart pumping because it would infer my heart was not pumping in which case I would need cpr or a difibrulator or be dead. :-)

I recall one day in the gym we were doing handstands and I feinted. I ended up having to go to the chiropracter(Dr. Bruce McLeod on Kelly between 7 and 8 mile). It turned out my shoulder bones and hip alignment were not right and my spine was curving. He fixed everything within one week and I was better.

I recall in 5th grade being dared to kiss Tom Lemanski and he was dared to kiss me. Well, we were both bugged enough and ended up doing it so my very first kiss came from Tom Lemanski.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 860
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Glad to hear you got aligned but kissing and telling can get one in trouble you know.

Fvfromd
Username: Fvfromd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyrd.: Yes Tringali's was on the same block. What a busy area!! When Polla's put ground round on sale LOOK OUT. (Traffic Jam). I remember Merit Drugs, it seemed they had everything. Yes, I still reside in the area. My fortunes are tied to one of the auto companies. My wife grew up on Collingham and I think my brother in law is a classmate of Fr. Bill. The picture of the folding chairs brought back some memories of the gym. (thanks). Diane: yes I am Belgian. I remember Lemanski, Gentry, Hernalsteen, Cox (me and him got lost at cobo on a 2nd grade field trip!), and Beattie. The Tocco's (Johns parents) are good friends with my in laws. (I have not seen John in 8 years though.) My wife used to date Paul Tines. Talk about a Small World! My wife does not recall your sisters. I will ask her older sisters. All for now......

Zitro

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7- I've been to the Hump twice for football games, well actually 3 since I went and saw Michigan play the dreaded Gophers. Both times I'm happy to report were to see the Loins get their butts handed to them. Fortunately, the ducketts were free, so I didn't feel as cheated as I would have if I paid for them. No cheese heads in our abode, if anything is displayed it will be something Detroit. No misguided loyalties here.

Especially when it comes to hockey.

PS. Anyone looking for a slightly worn Kevin Jones jersey? I told my kid that was a waste of $$. Only buy retired guys jerseys.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FV, a Tines and a Hernalstein girl were in my class. Possibly a Gentry and a Tocco too.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, there is a DS game called Flash Focus. Have you ever heard of it? I was wondering you think it is beneficial...a friend insists it is.

Diane12163

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 7....Their full names are Paul Tines, Lisa Gentry, Ann Hernalsteen and John Tocco.

V....Cox was Kevin Cox.

Does Steve Parsons ring any bells?

I remember when Pollas got crowded it got CROWDED. Those aisles were so small as it was and when you put a bunch of sales happy ladies in them and half of which were neighbours and friends who stood there and gabbed for days, you were stuck. The one thing I loved about Pollas is that they were the one and only market to carry Crumpets which I love.

Oh.....Does the name Robert Paula sound familiar to anyone?

Does anyone recall when we had those people from different cultures come in and share their knowledge and food customs? It was in Mrs. Carloni's class. She was really quite a forward thinker. I'm suprised that the school let her have anyone from a different religious belief come in. I distinctly recall the Hare Krishnas who lived in the old Fisher mansion off Alter road east of Jefferson. They brought the best desserts with them made with milk and honey and delicate pastry. I also recall one group who brought goat's milk and I drank a bit thinking it regular milk and nearly hurled. It was yucky!

I remember too that a couple of the class clowns would get up at lunchtime and have lunchtime sermons which were really quite funny.

Some of the guys used to see if they could cram 2 or more Twinkies in their mouths all at once, too.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?????????????????????????????? ??????????

Diane12163

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7....You seem puzzled.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey...........I lived at 15906 Eastwood Between Rex and Eastwood.................Kelly road is gitting out there on Kelly Road...........he's knows I',mm right............sorry Mike...................maybe it got all bambooled up up after I moved........but.

Jcole

Post Number: 3243
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7KK, I'm confused about you being confused.
1. I don't think you lived on Eastwood between Rex and Eastwood. Maybe Redmond?
Other than that, what the hey are you talking about?
Unless it's about the Twinkies, and I'm kind of thrown by that, too.

Diane12163

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK guys. Let me clarify the butter here. The Twinkies thing was pretty much Robert Paula at lunch when he would take two of them and shove them simultaneously in his mouth whole and proceed to chew them up.

Are you guys all better now?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what happens when I try to catch up on what I missed - I'm starting the day....Confused in Warren

7andkelly

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's time for another summary by J. She can condense the last five days into 100 words or less.

Zitro

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I just want to tell you good luck we're all counting on you" -Rumack

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me among the confused. Of course, I haven't had my meds yet today.

Come on, TS. We're counting on you. Feeling better, I hope.

Zitro

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catholic Trivia time:

Rules:

First one to guess right wins: 3 unsharpened big black pencils with no erasers and one of those clear bookcase bags. Last guess supercedes first.

Answer will be announced: TBD - HAH!

First clue: Study the lyrics to the Frank Zappa song Cosmik Debris, something in there should tell you for free.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me among the confused. Of course, I haven't had my meds yet today.

Come on, TS. We're counting on you. Feeling better, I hope.

Zitro

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Just what we needed to clear things up, a double posting. Must be a full moon

Jcole

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a rule, I'm fairly good at following the flow, but this time, I don't see a flow to follow.
Help me, 7KK, help me.

Zitro

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I can summarize:

Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

Jcole

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the on/off switch for the audio system at the lectern.
That or a very odd chocolate.
I'll go with my first pick, the on/off switch.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 861
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7KID: We all can get off of Z's airplane ride and assume you're back safely on Eastwood right??

Z: Hopefully we don't have to drive to Montana to get the answer and I'm assuming it's not just pertaining to St. Jude. Given your clue, in that particular song........It look like porcelain material and something shot overhead I'm guessing SHAVING KIT

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 12, 2008)