Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, "Don't get in too much trouble". I love when you leave it subjective.

Have fun CFG!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 878
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude Mystery photo
same rules: 1st one to guess correctly wins, last entry is official entry.

Hint: We should all know this except maybe EB
after zitro's mystery this is ease Z

Fvfromd
Username: Fvfromd

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Zitro: I was looking at some of the old posts and seen you lived on liberal. Do you remember the name of the family that owned the bowling store on kelly? (They lived on liberal). One son would have been a SJS class of 78 or so. What about The Tanners, Mette's, Wahoski's(sp), Heike's. Thanks for the trivia the other day, I have been playing Apostrophe/over-nite Sensation over and over! (I forgot how much I enjoyed it)

Fvfromd

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad: is it the cover from an announcement speaker?

Zitro

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fv: This would have been the family who owned it after Pinky Marchione. That would have been Blacky Belcastro There were 3 sons. One would have graduated HS around 67. There was another I think his name was Steve 72' and the younger one you mentioned. Mette's I knew very well, they lived 5 doors down. Older sister Patty, Chris, Jerry, Danny & Paula. The Tanner's lived almost right behind me in that set back house. Was there a Laura Hieke? Wahoski doesn't ring a bell. Kuchecowski (sp) maybe?

(Message edited by zitro on August 14, 2008)

Fvfromd

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Belcastro is what I was trying to think of. The Heike's lived between redmond and rex on liberal. There were a bunch of girls and 1 or 2 boys. One set of twin girls. One worked at Merit's. There were a bunch of Tanner's too! Wahoski's lived on the corner of redmond and liberal. Do you remember the name of the family that lived across from the Mette's? There was a Danny, Sue, and a couple of other kids.

Zitro

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lukowski's lived directly across the street, There was an older brother Butch & a younger one John, I think 7 went to ND with John. Don't remember the sister' name, might be a different family from the names your describing

(Message edited by zitro on August 14, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks like the edge of the ruler Ellen Richard used to smack us with.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you figuring I won't get it because I'm TOO OLD? John McCain & I will get you for that when we take over.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, he probably means it was installed after you left the school which means it's in the school, which means FV could be right. It certainly wasn't from the upholstery from our desk seats.

Z, Jerry would have graduated 71 or 72, right? I think I can picture him...decent kid.

Zitro

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7-I think 72 is right. They were all good eggs.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It kind of looks like a needle over a record album. The pic looks to have been shot with overhead flourescent light which would make the tops of the grooves hilighted.

Zitro: My cousins are the Heike's. Eddie and Elaine. Eddie has been working on the refurbishment of Greektown. He and Elaine have cottages up at Douglas Lake. They have a daughter named Stacy and a son named Brendt. My uncle Fred is Elaine's father. She used to be Elaine Nichols.

No comments about my catchy rap tune?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Creative, Diane!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the Wahoski 's have twin sons about as year older than us? Dan and David I think. Burbank boys

Diane12163

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 And Kelly-Thank you. I have a bunch of my poetry and insightful blogs on Myspace and a few poems on poetry.com if anyone would like a read.

Do any of these names ring school bells for anyone?
Kathy Galasso, Nancy Trombley, Debbie Lager, Lisa Buglessi, MaryJane Kozak, Nancy Fitzgerald, Marge McKenna, Sally Montfort, Val Utecht, Kathy Utecht, Marianne Herbert, Princess Weems, Marge Sawicki, Margaret Nagel, Monica Nix, Katie Starosta, Steve Nucci.

Diane12163

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the house on Manning that I grew up in and that my dad built. The address was: 14791.

http://newreo.abdsolutions.net /.../manning14791.html

Does it look familiar to anyone? This house used to have a white awning, more shrubbery, flowers in the boxes which I helped my dad build, nice windows and front door. It is so sad what has become of these nice neighbourhoods.

Diane12163

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have any problems with the html, just input 14791 Manning Detroit, MI in Google Image Search and it is the first picture to come up on the first page of the search results.

Jcole

Post Number: 3279
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't look familiar, but I lived on the other side of the parish

Zitro

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I noticed you put no time line when you were going to answer your trivia question. I got hounded within a 24 hour period for my answer, yet it seems like you want to milk it out for days.

What's up with that?

Jcole

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A record album would probably have curved channels, not straight ones.

Zitro

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What corner of Redmond & Liberal did the Wohaski's live? I know the Keenan's lived on the S/E corner. I don't remember them.

Diane: I'm not disputing your claim the the Heike's are your relatives, but I see a distinct difference from FV and my recall to their family size and makeup. I could imagine there is a possibility there more than one family in the parish with the same name? I didn't know the girl there real well, but the name Stacy isn't the same Heike girl I knew.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: ....have a creative work schedule and at certain times it becomes challenging to have continuous feed with all the SJ threadsters, much to my dismay...apologizes for any misunderstanding or inconvenience

ALL: FV is the winner with the "cover of the announcement speaker" guessed only 12 minutes after posting. CONGRATS FV...You've won an all you can eat fish and chips dinner at Milroy's on Kelly Rd. right across the street from Guardian Angel's parish. If you go on a Friday during Lent, it is suggested you arrive early.

Future mystery photo contests will have time parameters stated clearly. Thank you all for your spirited participation *__*

Kellyroad

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://newreo.abdsolutions.net /properties/manning14791.html

Diane: It looks like one of the well built, beautiful bungalows that so typically graced the north east side in the 40s-50s. I wouldn't mind seeing more bungalows and craftman styled houses with big porches being built today.

Zitro

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: What is the object coming in at an angle in the pic?

Diane12163

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro-Stacy is younger than I am. She's probably in her early to mid 30's now. It probably is a different faction of the same family.

Kellyroad-Thank you. Quite a number of the nice bungalows were built by my father and the companies he worked with. One company was Dick Saelens. My dad also had his own construction company for awhile and he was awesome at rendering blueprints. He could eyeball most of the lines without a ruler ever picked up.

I could tell you verbatim from the front door to the very back every room in my house. The only thing I hated about the house itself was the centipedes we used to get especially since we had two attics. Once, upstairs there was an entire night of those icky things and I sat up with a baseball bat and all the lights on smashing them. Yeeeeewwwwww.....creepy.

OH---Seriously Funny:
http://brnation.d2sector.net/u e/detroit_michigan_u_s_h_a.htm l

Scan down the page and look for the St. Jude item.

Jcole

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure most of us can remember the layout of our childhood homes. I can close my eyes, and see the layout right down to the niche in the hallway where we kept a box of tissues.

Jcole

Post Number: 3282
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"OH---Seriously Funny:
http://brnation.d2sector.net/u e/detroit_michigan_u_s_h_a.htm l

"
I must be missing something here.

Fvfromd

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: the Wahoski's lived on the northeast corner. (Right behind the McClains.) I think one of the Heike girls names was Karen (she was older than I). The twins were Denise and Patrice. The others I do not recall. KR: I am looking forward to the Milroy's dinner. Maybe I will go to the Civic theater after the dinner. Or maybe down to Wooly Bully's. All for now I have to get on my Schwinn (from Jake's bike shop), and get my hair cut at Clete's barber shop, before my Milroy's dinner.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fvfromd, welcome. The McClains you mention, would they include a son Ron who graduated from SJS in 71 and Denby in 75? He was a good friend of mine. Instead of getting your hair cut at Clete's, why not Gooch's on Morang between Joe's Tick Tock and Ross Drugs?

Zitro

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still looking for the name of the other barber shop on Kelly??? Where was Fountainview barber shop?

FV: I remember the McClains.