Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3297
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's OK, Z, you don't need those petty jobs to prove you're a fine young Catholic school lad. You've got the choir and lectering to do that.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right I beez high profilin'

Thanks Sis.

Jcole

Post Number: 3298
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always got your back, ZZ
You're not only stylin' you be profilin' too

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, this is what I meant by "... completely offset and overrun with disdain ..."

Jcole

Post Number: 3301
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be happy to bystand with you Zitro and bask in the light of your presence. :-)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diane, not too close though I'm claustrophobic!

Jcole

Post Number: 3304
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody stay behind the velvet ropes, Z can't breathe is you're in too close.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all,

I graduated in 83 and attended from 1st-8th grade. The office was always in the front of the building as far as I can recall. For a school office it was always small. I spent some time there myself. Once, after commenting on Sr. Annice's monogrammed sweater. It was an A with curls on each side and a rounded top. She never wore that again.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back Jazz.

Did you get the back of your hands smacked with a pointer for that one, or had the lawyers already disbanded the more effective discipline policies by then?

I'm sure sitting in the office was a real incentive for you to behave when you were missing all that interesting class time.

Jcole

Post Number: 3308
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet that nun cursed the day they got rid of habits.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sr. Alice would still hit you with the pointer as well as put tape on your mouth. She also had a strange habit of grabbing her bra straps while quoting W.C. Fields; "aw yes, you little chickadee's"

Usually, teachers like Ms. Hoover would just make you write endless sentences on how you would behave. We got very good at holding 4 pens so we could get more sentences done. It is amazing that I like to write at all.

Roger Joseph molested kids although that wasn't a form of discipline. Did he ever face any jail time over that? And George Schaffer (sp?) would have alter boys over and give them beer and let them read playboys.

Despite all of that, it was a great school.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God that in my day we had nuns & a couple of woman lay teachers. No molesters.

Not that I'd have objected to beer & Playboys.

Jcole

Post Number: 3309
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know that Roger was still there in the 80's. He was there in the late 60's, but no rumors of molesting. Mr. Schaeffer I had heard rumors about.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree EB. Molesters are horrible!

Jazz, of course I remember Ms. Hoover (Miss Hoover in my day). Nice lady, and a great teacher, but you didn't fool around in her class, that was for sure. She had so many years of dedicated service in this vocation as a Catechist she might has well have gone into the Convent.

Funny you mentioned the sentence writing sentence. Sometimes this had to be done on a chalk board, so we would use this 5 chalk line-making tool to write five sentences at once: "I will not cheat. I will not cheat..."

Jazzstage

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Miss Hoover in my day too now that you mention it. She always seemed very old to me although she wasn't. Trivia for you: The 5 chalk line-making tool is a staff writer for music. She played piano and supplemented her meager Catholic teacher salary giving lessons to the kids.

Re: RJ..one of my classmates made the allegations and then many more came with their own experiences. It was in the papers around 2000 or so. RJ basically used his position as coach to take advantage of these kids. My classmate was a super jock and was the last person you would have suspected would have let an adult do that to him.

(Message edited by jazzstage on August 19, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 3310
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazz, I'm really sorry to hear that. I never heard about it, but I have no doubts that it's true. I had him in 8th grade math, but didn't know him that well. If I remember correctly, he had a brother who taught at Austin Prep.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok...

The full article must be purchased but here is what the Freep will let you see.

1. EX-COACH DENIES PREYING ON BOYS CATHOLIC SCHOOL GRADS' SUIT ALLEGES SEX ABUSE
May 2, 2001 •• 447 words •• ID: 0105020284
An attorney who coached Catholic boys' basketball teams for 30 years in Detroit, Harper Woods and Hamtramck denies allegations in a lawsuit that he sexually abused grade school players. Roger Joseph, 55, of Grosse Pointe Woods, resigned last fall as coach of the varsity basketball team at St. Florian High School in Hamtramck after the Archdiocese of Detroit began an investigation into the allegations, said Ned McGrath, communications director for the archdiocese. Joseph

Jcole

Post Number: 3311
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He must have just begun teaching the year we had him. It was 69-70. As I said, a pity.

Jcole

Post Number: 3312
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you google Roger Joseph Detroit, MI you still get a listing for his law firm in Harper Woods. He must still be practicing.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must have had Joseph then for gym since I went 69-77. I really can't remember his face or how he was if I did have him. Didn't we have a woman for gym, too? It could have been in my high school but, also from SJS. I just remember a woman who looked like Nancy Kulp from Beverly Hillbillies.

Hey Jazz-I remember Sr. Annise. Funny story. :-)

I used to always column my lines doing all the "I's" first and so on. No one ever caught me out at it. TeeHee.

The sucky thing was that if one person did a naughty deed then everyone in the class got to write lines. (So...a retroactively stuck out tongue to all the teachers for that one)

Zitro--I promise not to stand too close. No need to as your light goes out for miles. I can see it all the way from here in Houston. :-)

"I used to be Snow White, then I drifted."---Mae West

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger Joseph was my home room teach in 8th grade - 70-71. Seems he also taught Science. He also taught us the Jewish song, Hava na gilla - know that is mispelled. It turned out to be our class song. My sister also had him two years earlier, so no telling when he got there. Personally, I never saw any molestation there, but it was there. Later, Fr. Jude Ellinghausen was found guilty of it, but not at St. Jude - he always creeped me out though. Also heard the stories of Mr. Schaefer with his parties. jcole, what year did you graduate?

Jcole

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1970 from SJS, went to Regina til 73, and graduated from Almont in 74

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, I thought I'd have a lot of catch-up to do and it looks like we're all off the slackers list today and hard at work! I hate it when that happens!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 885
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Signs, signs everywhere signs...
The above 5 pictures are part of signs at the St. Jude Parish or in the nearby neighborhood.

The first one to identify all 5 pictures and their location wins. Guess as many times as you want but only 5 guesses per entry.

The winner gets to place the "CLOSED TO TRAFFIC" signs on Rex at 7 mile and Maddelein during recess and lunch.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, KR -
Love the challenge - I think I've got three for sure, but need to do more analysis.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cfg: You are a champion, of course you are up to the challenge!

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

think i will have to conceed to my friends still there - too many things have changed since 2004.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it does kinda feel unfair to be a quick drive to our historical landmark!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 887
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: The signs have been there way before 04, so don't give up let's hear some more.