Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the signs in all the pictures have been there since at least the 60s. Some have been updated...i.e. relettered or painted.... but the signs have been around a long time and are still there.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good thing you were given permission to cross 7 Mile....now work on the rest and keep that smile

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still stumped. I'll keep cheering.:-)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Even though you were at Manning near Queen the rest of the signs are a familiar St. Jude scene

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, it's got to be the "ha" from the Fordham street sign like you said, probably where Fordham ends at Moross. Since this was cut from a larger picture, I'm not sure if it was even taken with a zoom lens.

The "ER" one's got me stumped.

KR, you can give us the color version of these any time now like you promised.

Cfg, we know you're more familiar with the area, but feel free to chime in with your answers.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 900
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hints:
JC's been thru the neighborhood up Kelly Road toward Harper Woods. She came back across 7 Mile ...knows her street signs all the while.
7K confirmed what she already knew...He knows his punctuation too.
So that leaves a couple of mysteries...
IF the ER were in color you could better see.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3328
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so we have a solid three.
The first one can't be the SJS playground if the signs are still there, and we don't know the ER yet.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 901
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC left the playfield, that is good
Two mysteries are left, that's understood.

The following sentences contain a word that is part of the sign: "IF YOU SEE THIS WORD IT WILL BE A BONUS IN FIGURING OUT WHAT THE SIGNS SAYS. THE EAGLES HAVE LANDED AND SO HAVE THE JETS, LET'S ALL BE TRUE TO THE SJ SCHOOL"

Jcole

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the ER is from the word newspaper on one of the boxes in front of church

Kellyroad

Post Number: 903
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put the newspaper down, it's time for church.

Jcole

Post Number: 3330
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure the first pic is part of the word BONUS but I can't think what sign around the church would say this.
I'm still working on ER

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been gone and now I'm back
KR's twister has many a mind wracked
The ER's been a stumper for everyone here
The sign I guess is the Fallout SheltER.

Zitro

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, that was a long siesta, why didn't anyone wake me up?

Diane12163

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My loud cheering didn't wake you up Zitro? I'll have to be louder next time. I was using the ancient AV equipment in the gym.

Zitro

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oy Vay!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROFCMEO!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the word "BONUS" from the scoreboard inside the gym!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 904
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_It's been a team effort, all signs have been told
-the first to list all five will bring home the gold

Zitro

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I cherry picked and really don't need the glory I'll defer to my compadres

Jcole

Post Number: 3331
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonus from scoreboard in gym
Fallout Shelter
Welcome to Harper Woods
Fordham sign under St. Jude
Period after St. on the front of the gym

(Message edited by jcole on August 22, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, J!

Jcole

Post Number: 3333
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, 7, I think we should split the pot. I got the Harper woods and the Fordham, you got the period and Bonus, and Z kicked in with the Fallout shelter.
I'll set up the 7 and Rex barriers, and you take 'em down.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll let Z do the take down if you don't mind. I've got a backlog of filmstrips to inspect and splice.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 905
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, grab the St. Jude flag and do a victory lap.

You are awarded the awesome privilege of placing the "CLOSED TO TRAFFIC" signs along Rex. Sister Patricia Marie has suggested however, since other participants were instrumental in your victory that you share the prize. It is suggested that 7 do the 7mile side (If he can get away from his AV duties) and you (along with Z if you choose) can do the Maddelein side.

Congrats

Jcole

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had suggested a similar plan to 7, as any well raised, humble Catholic school girl would, and I hope now that you've backed me up, he will agree to your plan.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 906
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW: The Fordham sign was at Fordham and Moross. The shot was taken with a normal lens in front of George's Party Store. The sign just happened to be positioned under the St. Jude statute and as 7 suggested it was a very small part of the picture.

(Message edited by kellyroad on August 23, 2008)

Diane12163

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations JCole and team! Excellent game KR! It was fun to cheer and let my team shine.I'm buying milks for everyone. Name your style: chocolate, 2% or Skim? :-)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 907
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Open question to all for discussion: What one artifact (example Zitro's candles) would you like to have as a remembrance of St. Jude School or Church (Please exclude religious artifacts like statues, crucifixes, chalices etc or things currently being used) perhaps something that was unique to St. Jude or was particularly personal to you. Think about it. You can certainly change your mind. I'll repeat this question when necessary. I'll start.......... I would like to have the "THINK" sign that was in my first grade classroom. If Sister Madonna Marion were around, I'd look her up and have her sign it and then display it in a prominent place in my home. That one verb said a lot.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 908
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: I guess I'm dating myself...2% and skim milk weren't available till decades later...no wonder Crestor and Lipitor are so popular

Kellyroad

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Chocolate