Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital - 2 » Archive through July 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

286marlborough: THANK YOU so much for sharing the pictures of Mr. Weitschat. As you can see in a previous post, I have his address where he now lives. Since I moved in August, I am having trouble locating the camera (disposable) with recent (w/n year) I took of Mr. Weitschat when I visited him in 2006. As for the Guyton movie, that will be awesome when you can convert it to cd and post it for us all. There is an old saying: "May the love you give to others come back ten fold".....your postings and pictures are "priceless"...

Kitty541chalmers
Username: Kitty541chalmers

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! Beverly Brightwell told me about this site when she was looking for 'The Guyton Story.' I went to Guyton from 1952 through 1960 and lived on Chalmers between Freud and Essex. My best friend, Kathy Moran, lived on the corner of Chalmers and Essex, and the house faced Essex. Someone said we didn't realized what ideal childhoods we had, and I have to say I agree. We were outside most of the time, even in Winter, with the only rules being to come home for dinner and when the street lights came on. I was an only child but never felt lonely because of all the large families in the neighborhood -- there was always someone to play with. I especially remember going to school early to play jump rope, because everyone who came in had to take a turn turning the rope before they could get a chance to jump. We got into double dutch and the whole shooting match. Lots of good memories!

Elaine_hamby
Username: Elaine_hamby

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

286Marlborough, you are GREAT! Thank you so much for the photo of my church, Faith Lutheran. It still looks just beautiful. I loved going there and have such great memories of the friendships I made there. Speaking of the Faith Lutheran connection, is Beverly Brightwell Judy's sister and daughter of Shirley? Shirley Brightwell was my choir director for awhile at Faith Lutheran. I still remember her directing us - we were the little kid choir - in "Hark! Hark! Hark!" Judy Brightwell was in my class. And the photos of Mr. Weitschat are great!

Does anyone know whatever became of Mr. Hermann? Or Mr. Elkins? Or Mr. Wisniewski? Or Mr. Fiondo?

Brenda

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a Guyton reunion in the early 90s and
was told Mr. Herman was alive and well, but couldn't attend that reunion. Mr. Currie was there and only looked a little older, but with that striking red hair, lol. Maybe someone else has info on Mr. Elkins or the famous
Mr. Wisniewski! I never had Mr. Fiondo in class, but only heard great things. BTW: My maiden name was Foster and I used to buddy with Susan Parker and Anita Sparrow....

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember Mrs. Stroman at Guyton (in the 60s)? She was my third grade homeroom teacher. I remember we to pray in English and German every day (pre-Supreme Court, but I don't think she would have cared). She wasn't very nice, and was into public humiliation as her favorite form of punishment. Did anyone else have to stand under the clock?

Miss Merhar taught music appreciation and directed the Glee Club in the late 60's. Everyone thought she and Mr. Weitschat should get together because they seemed to be the two single teachers and around the same age. She was very sweet and pretty.

There was a male art teacher who seemed pretty evil -- I've managed to successfully erase most of those memories.

Kitty541chalmers

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Bev is Shirley's daughter and Judy's sister. Although I was a member of St. Columba Episcopal Church across Jefferson, I use to go to Beverly's confirmation lessons on Saturday with her because I'd spent the night and we were going 'shopping' on Jefferson afterwards. Most of my neighbors were Catholic and went to St. Martin's and I use to help Carol Essian (her brother, Tommy, played pro baseball in the 70s and early 80s) enroll her brothers and sisters (which ended up being 12) in school each fall. I remember how frightened everyone was of the nuns in those days.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated with Mary Essian also.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Jimmy Essian who played pro baseball.

Brenda

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read that of the eight schools scheduled to close, Guyton will remain open...and her spirit lives. I am happy that my elementary school will live in for a little while longer.

Molly
Username: Molly

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitty Fisk! HI, It's Molly,Kathy's niece (Ann's daughter). Just discovered this site...I guess there are a couple of threads, I'm new to this. Anyway, I loved the story about your Dad directing the "Guyton Story". Has it ever been transferred to Video? Hope all is well with you. How fun to remember the old neighborhood. I remember you and your family fondly. Big hugs, Molly Campbell
PS I also got a kick out of the Thelma Carter/Charlton Heston stories. When I was about 2o years old in San Francisco, working at a TV station, we were preparing to interview Charlton Heston (I put the powder on his nose) and told him his Step-Mom was my auditorium teacher. He was pleased to hear a Detroit story I think.

Kitty541chalmers

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Molly - Hi! I saw you at Bob's memorial service a few years ago when you and I think Ron put on that great video with all the old photos.

I was an assistant in the auditorium and remember how dramatic Mrs. Carter was. She said that the moment Charleton won the Academy Award he called her ... except if he called anyone I assume it was his dad.

Brenda

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure everyone has read of the passing of Charleston Heston (the step mother of Ms. Thelma Carter--Teacher from Guyton) today. I remember being in a art class and seeing Mr. Heston walking up the front way into Guyton on Philip. I wanted to excuse myself from the class and go talk to him for a moment, but being shy, I didn't. I will always remember that moment and smiling that someone so famous had come to visit our small school. He was one-of-a-kind actor, humanitarian with principles and character!

286marlborough
Username: 286marlborough

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Guyton Story

Hi All,
Sorry it took me so long to get back. I just posted The Guyton Story on YouTube. I had to do it in two parts because it’s about 20 minutes long and the YouTube restriction is 10 minutes per video. The picture quality is so-so because I made the YouTube movies from a video tape. I’m still waiting for a digital copy that is being produced from the original movie. They are having some problem with the sound.

To see the YouTube version more clearly, click the first little box on the bottom right. If you click the second little box, it will go into full screen mode – which I don’t recommend unless you’re watching it from far away – like the next state.

To see Part 1 and 2 respectively, click on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_oLx6SNUDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJj1EUZIcU

In other news, I’ve heard from a writer who is doing a piece for the July issue of “Hour Detroit” on the 58 plane crash. If any of you have photos or memories, let me know. jhaber@insight.rr.com

Elaine Hanby, as Kitty told you, I am both Judy’s sister and Shirley’s daughter. Like you, I was very happy to see that Faith Lutheran is still standing and functioning. I looked at some candid photos of my mom’s choir and wondered which one was you.

Molly, I also ran into Charlton Heston in California. It was in June of 1980 and I was in the last graduating class from Immaculate Heart College in LA. The college had been sold to the American Film Institute and guess who was the president? I was walking across the lawn and there he was, all alone, like Moses wandering in the wilderness. He said “great school” and I said “yes” and that was that. Later I thought of transitions like, “speaking of grade schools …”

Molly 2, on another thread of this forum (following the posts on this site is like working a Rubik's cube) you talked about doing a documentary on the neighborhood. I’m in, if you need help. Same for you Eastside61.

Brenda, thank you for your kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed the photos of Bill Weitschat. He is in Part 2 of the Guyton Story. You will only see him for a few seconds, but his Weitschatness comes through ...

To anyone else who stumbled upon this site, welcome! Jump in. I’d love to identify some of the faces in the movie.

Molly

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi 286
thanks for the you tube link of "The Guyton Story" What a hoot to see and hear. The time and place feel like a for all of us. I sent my brother the link, and I couldn't believe how much he remembered... much more than I do. He recognized many of the teachers, and reminded me about the "safety squad".
How funny you also saw Charlton Heston...hard to know what to say to Moses...
I just completed a "welcome to your life" video for my brother's 50th birthday. It has some shots of the old neighborhood...I would like to put it on you tube, but I need to make sure he's okay with that. Making this video is the way I found this site- looking for anything related to "old Detroit"- other than myself!
Do you remember Spartan's Boom Boom Sales? It was like a KMART, only cheaper! We had to put things on layaway. Ah the good old days.
Not sure about doing a doc on detroit anytime soon...although it sounds like fun. If something changes, I'll let you know. My aunt Pat lived on Marlbrough, second house off the corner, off Korte? across from Guyton. A huge (are there any other kinds?) family named the Jackson's lived next door on the corner. I use to visit her at lunch time. Where was your home located on Marlbrough? We left Detroit in 1970 and moved to the Boston Area. My Dad still lives in Michigan, so I've been back many times since then.
Fun talking with you! Molly

286marlborough

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Street View Example

Here's something else fun to do ...

Guyton is on Google Maps "Street View," so you can move your little man around Marlborough and Phillip and see big pictures of the school and playground. You can even take a virtual walk up to Jefferson Ave. if you take Philip all the way.

Here's how it works. Any street that has blue lines around it is "Street View" active -- that is, it will show you pictures of the houses on both sides of the street. Use the little rotating arrows on top of the zoom bar for a 360 degree view.

To see Guyton, just go to Google Maps and enter 355 Philip, Detroit Michigan. Then click on "Street View" (as opposed to "map, satellite, terrain, traffic, etc.) Use "full screen" to see even larger images.

Molly, Marlborough is also active for "Street View" so you should be able to walk over to your Aunt's house. (If I got it right, your Aunt's house should be in the picture above.) Our house was three houses away from Guyton on the same side of the street as the school between Korte and Scripps.

You gotta love this technology ...

Brenda

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

286 Marlborough....the Guyton movie has been removed.........oh no...........is there anyway to reload it again....please!

Kbreenbo
Username: Kbreenbo

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I read previously in this thread about the jet crash near the river. The July issue of "Hour Detroit" magazine has an article thoroughly researching the Vulcan jet crash on Ashland Avenue on 10/24/58. I uploaded the article here.

286marlborough

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kbreenbo, thank you! Here's just the photo of the crew.

crew of 1958 plane crash

286marlborough

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda,
I re-posted The Guyton Story and another movie made about Guyton in 1946. See the Eastside Memories Megathread - Paradise Lost.

To see the movies, go to www.youtube.com and do a search on "Guyton School."

286marlborough

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a picture of Guyton taken in the late 20's or early 30's. Thanks to John Mohn for this photo.

Guyton School circa 1930

286marlborough

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple of close-ups of the same shot.

Guyton circa 1930 Close Up 1

Guyton circa 1930 Close Up 2

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

286: Great Photos - Both parents attended Guyton in the 1920's - Mother lived on Marlborough - Dad lived on Lakewood - and various cousins of theirs lived on Chalmers below Jefferson .....

286marlborough

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom went there from 1928 to 1936. I think we had a couple of teachers in common.

Interesting how there are no trees on Korte in this photo -- yet in the 1946 movie, the school is surrounded by full grown trees. Makes me think this photo is pretty early. The school opened in 1924 and the gym was added in 1925.

286marlborough

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received an email about the Guyton memorial pictured at the top of this page. The original memorial, erected in 1947, had long since been vandalized.

In 2003, a letter was circulated to Guyton alumni asking them to contribute to a restoration effort. They did, and on Memorial Day, 2004, the monument was re-dedicated.

The ceremony was just like in the old days, with the flowers, the flag and the Guyton song. George Huysken, whose father participated in designing the original monument, gave the dedication speech. While the old memorial was dedicated to Guyton alumni who died in WWII, the new memorial honored "all Guyton men and women who gave their lives for our country."

A year later, the plaque was ripped off.

I was not on the alumni mailing list. But to those of you who were, and who contributed, I want to say thank you.

To the guy who fenced the plaque for the price of bronze, there are no words.

286marlborough

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This forum is about the Lakeside Trailer Court and so far, (or for 3 years, whichever is shortest) I haven’t said a word about it.

I loved the Lakeside Trailer Court. As a teen, I was forbidden to go there and therefore I went there often. My best friend in 8th grade, Linda B, lived there -- and in the very best spot. Right on river. Right in the front and center of all the other trailers. So when you went to her house, and sat on the living room couch, you looked out of a picture window on nothing but river.

To get to the Lakeside Trailer Court from 286 Marlborough took some stamina. Not by today’s Tour De France standards, but by ordinary, get on your no-gears bike and go to the trailer park standards, it was a ride. Down Korte, over the bump, and then all the way down Alter Road in busy traffic to the hospital, where the road ended and the rest was broken concrete and dirt.

I did this ride a hundred times if I did it once. There was a laundry in the center of the park and I remember thinking it was cool that people went to a laundry instead of going down the basement.

Linda B’s mom worked for the Detroit Police Department. So we had hours to sit on the couch, look out at the river, listen to Motown tunes, which, sue me, I still think are still great, and talk about St. Martin’s boys, who were much more interesting than Guyton boys because we didn’t go to school with them. We met them at the St. Martin’s dances, a hotbed of adolescent attraction. I don’t remember how much the tickets were, but I do remember you had to buy tickets to get in. It was so worth it.

Linda B’s parents had a speed boat and would take us water skiing on the Detroit River. I thought I knew all about skiing because I learned as a kid on one of those glass lakes in upper Michigan. But water skiing on the river was an extreme sport, fighting to stay upright, and then meeting a slap of river at 35 mph that left your body red and your mouth full of freighter oil.

One day, Linda and I decided to go swimming at Lakewood Park. Now you couldn’t swim from the park itself, because it was all knarly and rocky. But if you went through the barbed wire towards Fisher mansion there was an embankment where you could jump into the water. (The Nike missile base?) Anyway, I dove in and hit a submerged picnic bench that ripped the stomach out of my new bathing suit. So much for idyllic, crime-free days.

By the ninth grade, Linda and I were both dating St. Martin’s boys. We also made friends with a girl from St. Martin’s named Sandy. Sandy was so beautiful it took a lot of confidence to hang out with her. But she was also totally sweet and “unconceited” as we used to say. (In eighth grade, the part of Sandy was played by Natalie Marshall, who looked like Natalie Wood and, I believe, was related to Marshall’s Bar. She moved away in ninth grade.)
Sandy, Linda and I took many walks up to Jefferson together on Saturday afternoons. Depending on the season, we might have worn button down sweaters, wool Bermuda shorts and matching knee socks, or madras shorts and halter tops. But we always wore curlers. It was perfectly Ok to be seen in curlers on a Saturday afternoon in those days. In fact, it was a sign that you had somewhere to go that night.

My St. Martin’s boyfriend and I met at the Grosse Pointe Park skating rink, which was open to anyone during the winter months. He was a fabulous skater. The guys from Guyton would tease me about dating Hans Brinker.

There were lots of “couples” like us, who would meet at the park, skate until we were so cold we couldn’t’ stand it, go into the changing house for hot chocolate, and go home with our sisters or brothers.

My first actual date was at the White Sun Chinese restaurant. I remember it had saloon doors on the booths so that, when the waiter left, you were all alone in this dark oak box surrounded by exotic smells. My boyfriend ordered Egg Foo Yong, which scared the hell out of me, but turned out to be, hands down, the meal I would order on death row.

My last memory of the Lakeside Trailer Court was sitting by the picture window on Linda’s couch, looking out over the river on a foggy winter night. We had both broken up with our St. Martin’s boyfriends and we were both feeling dumper’s remorse. The rest, like the view itself that night, is fog.

I’m embarrassed I haven’t said it before, but, thank you Lowell, for the photos that started it all and for maintaining this forum.

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to say But "ya shoulda saw that coming" there is no longer any respect for history in that once great old neighborhood and it has been that way for many years. I ran into Mr Weitschat about 27 years ago down on Klenk island, he still lived across the street from Guyton on Phillip at the time and I remember he told me his home had been recently broken in to and ransacked. Lets keep the good memories alive but unfortunately there are none being made in that corner of the world.

Elaine_hamby
Username: Elaine_hamby

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was truly a great, great time to be a kid in Detroit. It was also the best place in the city. Molly, your tribute was beautiful. I lived on the "bump" - in a pretty yellow house that sat right on the bridge. Let's all never forget our Guyton/St. Martin's youth.

286marlborough

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear what your saying, Eastside. But, I still admire the people that contributed to the second plaque. In fact, I'm down for the third. But I suggest a 'bronze-like" material.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the only house on Korte and Alter on the hill was Byerly's Store?

Molly

Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elaine, Thank you for your kind feedback on my tribute to my brother.If you know of anyone who is looking for something similar for their loved ones, let me know! I'll probably be headed to Michigan soon. My Dad is not well, although surprising all the doctors, and still hanging on with stage 4 colon cancer.
I loved reading about 286 Marlbrough's childhood memories. Curlers, those horrible uncomfortable rolls of wire. What were we doing sleeping in those things! I think I switched to those pink spoolies (sp?). I went to Guyton, and had a similar take on the St. Martin boys. Cute and mysterious (for 6th graders).Lots of snow ball throwing and awkward flirting as we passed each other on the street. Something I looked forward to everyday! The last house I lived in, in Detroit, was 400 Eastlawn-on the corner of Eastlawn and Avondale, close to St. Martins.
I remember on occasional Sundays my Mom and I use to bake small loaves of bread, and sell them on the corner to the people coming home from church. A step up from the usual lemonade stand! My mom worked hard and rarely had much time for such domestic moments, so it's a sweet memory.
I love this site. It's really, really nice to check in about the old neighborhood, all the way from Northern California. Warm regards! Molly