Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is for EB.

I might have picked up a bootleg 8-track there once on my way home from NDHS. It was a crappy tape anyway, and I'm sorry I bought it.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 927
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For full disclosure, the medallions were gifts that came along with Avon after shave and the polyester shirts were from Van Heusen at Eastland during their annual sidewalk sale. At $3 per shirt couldn't pass up the deal even if looked discoish. HOWEVER, never for disco attire. I'm with EB..Pink Floyd (dark side of the moon tour a Olympia) and other British rock bands.. no disco man. No d.r.e.a.d. card but WRIF and WWWW always preset

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually love disco and always will. It was the forunner of 80's dance and synth music which led to a new vanguard of Techno which began in Detroit and Belgium. The first real bonafide techno was Kraftwerk in 74 with Autobahn. totally ahead of its time then and now.

My dad owned a set of leisure suits with those poly banlon silky shirts with the wacky prints on them. Yeeewwwww.....polyester gives me a mind rash.

Anyone ever go to Cranbrook's planetarium for Pink Floyd's music ala laser light show?

Used to drive on Woodward down by the Detroit main library and art museum and there was this one place I was always curious about called Ed's Beef and Cream. You knew what the beef was but, the cream was a mystery.

Saw the videos and pics on Facebook finally because I am now with broadband again and a faster comp. Very neat. I decided I want one of the white enamel water fountains and a wood lecturn. I'll also go for one of the wall clocks and a desk with the flip lid on the top and put in one of the classroom crucifixes, too while you're at it and ship them down to Houston. Thanks heaps. :-)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Card -carrying DREAD member here - and one one violation - which still exists - love those platform shoes!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 928
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: St. Jude Nostalgia (the creator of the video) will be happy to send you your requested artifacts by UPS asap. He did a great job, didn't he? Hopefully, those videos will be available to all for quite some time. Considering that the school is closed permanently, that documentary is a true treasure trove.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

26 days to training camp; 45 days until the banner raising season opener vs the make believes! Individual game tickets for pre-season games go on sale Saturday 10:00.

GO WINGS!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13 days until Atlanta.

GO LIONS!

Believe in Now!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I think the name of that place was Zukin's Rib Shack ring a bell to anyone else?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3387
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Zukin's Rib Shack on Dix in Lincoln park. I wonder if it's related

Zitro

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy times have changed. Could anyone imagine this happening with any of our nuns?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0 ,2933,409766,00.html

Jcole

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah, and the 80 year old ones at Regina could be the judges

Kellyroad

Post Number: 929
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The irony....never ordered a thing from Zukin's on Kelly but was in there many times for the top 40 posts....had the ribs many of times from Zukins in Lincoln Park but was never in there. BTW, the ribs are fantastic...falling off the bone, finger licking good!
Speaking of rib joints, does anyone remember a place on the west side of Gratiot just north of State Fair (across the street from Saratoga Hospital) called Deluxe. (Yes it was in the St. Jude Parish area) ...the place would open at midnight. It was popular with the bookies and the after hours bar crowd.....very unpretentious..florescent lighting, banquet tables and card tables, and a shoe shine guy named Patch...You'd put your shoes or boots by the table and Patch would pick them up and have them ready by the time you leave...I swear you could write a novel about the place. Anyway, it was always crowded and the ribs were great. It was in business during the 70s.. I just wondered if anyone remembered the place or perhaps even experienced its after hour scene.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 930
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are emphasizing that there will be no swim suit competition. The media is having a field day.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one of those stories - where I shake my head and say "what the????"

7andkelly

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems Rungi's off his rocker.
It's time for his de-frocker.

Zitro

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR I don't recall that place, it must have been real close to The Dog House.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 931
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: not familiar with the Dog House...?? details please.

speaking of the house...who's in the house?....

7k be rappin
tell me whas happin

Zitro

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name was The Dog House. It was a small joint right across from Saratoga and was the only place eastsiders could get coneys for the longest time. It probably only sat 15-20 people tops Good shakes too.

Jcole

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when we were kids that there was a lafayette Coney in Eastland. My dad took us there all the time when he didn't want to go downtown

Zitro

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the one at Eastland too but there weren't coney joints on every corner like there were later.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dog House was one of the best! My standard stop for lunch on Saturdays while out collecting my Detroit Times route (63 customers). The route was on Eastburn, Bringard & Edmore west of Gratiot. Having a Canadian father, I pronounced the word "route" as "root".

Any other paperboys/girls among the faithful?

Eastburn

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How a bout a real St. Jude question?

I grew up thinking our pastor's name was Joseph J. Ording. My Dad, who was a buddy of his, called him Fr. Joe. The St. Jude Calendar from the 50's someone posted refers to Joseph J.

The more recent stuff including his funeral tribute and the parish center has it as John Joseph. ?????????????????????????

Zitro

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only filled in for some of my friends when they were on vacation. I hated the collecting part of it. Come back tomorrow was the standard answer.

BTW thanks for chiming in about The Dog House Jack. I was afraid I would have to justify some ghost place that only existed in my mind to everyone like, "No really it was there!"

Jcole

Post Number: 3391
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Z, but we didn't go up to the 8 and Gratiot area often, unless it was to Arlen's, and then we ate at White Castle

Zitro

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what is right, but one thing I do know that I've published before is when it came time to choose a Confirmation name I went with another J so it would match Fr, Ordings initials of J.J.J.O

Zitro

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place was on the west side of Gratiot right across the street from Saratoga so it had to literally be next door to the Deluxe and I can't recall that place at all.

Zitro

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I would never have hung around in such a place of ill repute so that must be the reason I blocked it out.

Eastburn

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did a Google search & got:

LIST OF CHURCHES The Reverend Joseph J. Ording became pastor of the 76 families of St. Elizabeth in Oxford in 1928 and also offered mass at St. Thomas Chapel in Lake Orion. ...
underthedustnewsprint.com/ORIO NCHURCHES.htm - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

But nothing came up when I clicked on it. I know he came to SJS from Lake Orion & had a cottage there.

Zitro

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think in one of those pamphlets from his Memorial Mass it gives a biography and I just didn't scan it in. I can take a look at it and post if I see something.

Jcole

Post Number: 3392
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He started, or so I was told, St. Joseph over on M24 south of Orion. It's a beautiful cross shaped church smaller than St. Jude. Dark brick. They're celebrating 80 years this year, so I think the above St. Elizabeth might be wrong.
My dad always told us that he did such a good job at St. Joseph that the diocese rewarded him with St. Jude, but I don't know.