Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » "Dom Polski: Dance Hall Days of Detroit's Polonia" « Previous Next »
Archive through September 09, 2008Townonenorth30 09-09-08  1:01 pm
Archive through September 15, 2008Edziu30 09-15-08  8:44 pm
Archive through September 22, 2008Mortalman30 09-22-08  6:17 pm
Archive through October 08, 2008Townonenorth30 10-08-08  3:00 pm
Archive through October 20, 2008Eastsidedame30 10-20-08  11:11 pm
Archive through November 08, 2008Townonenorth30 11-08-08  5:44 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TOWNONENORTH,,,,,, OKAY OKAY OKAY, wow I could almost smell those GREEEEAAAATTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!! ! CHIPS.
Thank goodness that they let kids go there for field trips.
Was New Era factory on Hendrie & Grandy?
What about the Chene Donut shop, was that near Hendrie also?

YES! to the coffee cake & Sour Rye bread, now I am going to do a cookbook hunt for that recipe. Thanks for reminding me about the special ingredient, Sour. I also have to take into account the type of water used then had no fluoride .

Does anyone know if we were using chlorine then, or know the different composition of drinking water then and now in the city of Detroit?
Then = 1950's, 1960's.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. I'll not evoke any more food related memories here, it's hard to satisfy the craving if one can't get it.

There are places that sells sour rye bread. Oaza used to, probably Sweetheart bakery, unless you're not local anymore.

They've used chlorine in water since they had purification plants, so that should not be a factor.

My neighbor used to work at New Era, and brought home fresh chips from work a lot. I went on the tours there in grade school as well. That was on Hendrie and Grandy, you are right.

You must mean Dane Donut shop, on Chene between Medbury and the Service Drive (Harper ave).

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth, Some of my family are still in the area and I will pass the info on to them.
Yes I did mean the Dane Donut Shop, one of their children went to school with my older brother and used to give him donuts to bring home to us. Not sure if they were day old or what, but they sure were good.

Okay, that is all I will write about food.

The Home Theater, the great Sat. 2 movies for the price of one.
What a bunch of crazy kids we were.
Hmmmm what were our parents doing while we were so busy watching Tarzan and some Disney movie?

Was there a bowling alley across the street from the Home theater at the corner of Trombly?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chene Trombly bowl. Two floors with the upper being a manual pin set, with pin setters. Great fun to toss one ball, then the other after it to try and get the pin setters. Of course "I" never did that.

Here's what looks like the right combo for the sour rye bread:

http://easteuropeanfood.about. com/od/polishbreads/r/sourdoug hrye.htm

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 474
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My all time favorite bakery is New Palace Bakery which thank God is still alive and well.

I haven't heard much about the Polish Yacht Club at Jos. Campau between Frederick and Farnsworth Sts. on this or any other threads. Your thoughts on the food, prices, atmosphere, ambiance and bar. I have my own thoughts but I'd like to hear what others think before I venture an opinion.

North End Recreation on Campau just south of Carpenter was my all time favorite bowling alley. Maybe the fact that I was a pin setter had something to do with it.

I use to love to go to Perrien Park as a kid and often there were meetings and rallies there. Good, fun and nostalgic memories of days that are gone except in the windows of my mind.

Does anyone remember the poultry store in the Chene-Ferry Market? I use to go in there with my grandmother, she'd pick out a chicken, the man would take matching brass numbers and tie one to the chicken's leg and give us the other one. Then we'd do the rest of our shopping and come back and our chicken, duck, etc. would be clean, plucked and ready for the pot. It was better than the trauma when my grandmother would go in the backyard, grab the chicken, twirl it round and ringing its neck and chopping off the head. One time the chicken got away after his head was off and he ran around the yard pumping blood out of his neck until he dropped. Wow! I think I still have nightmares about that one!! Good memories none-the-less.

What was the name of that Confectionery Store over by St. Stanislaus where the kids from there went?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The store that you mentioned with the poultry, was that in the alley across from the market? I remember the cages, and the feathers flying around on windy days.

Also the great canned wild mushrooms one could buy in the market itself. That came in handy during Wigilia on Christmas, when assembling the 7 meatless dishes.

I'm still puzzled by the term confectioner. Does this mean candy store, or bakery?

Walter's market on Dubois and Palmer had a good candy assortment (also great Kielbasa).

There were a couple of storefront candy stores open when I was in grade school that served lindy pops (I think that's the name) and candy. There was no name to speak of that I remember on the windows or door, they just were open, then weren't. Where was the confectioner you remember?

Mortalman

Post Number: 475
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We use to use the term Confectionery Store to refer to as a sweet shop i.e. candy story with lots of "penny candy" as in Joannie's Confectionery Store. They sold candy, had a soda fountain, sold cigarettes and cigars, newspapers, juke box, etc.

Walter's was great!

The poultry shop I remember was across the alley from the market, I think. I think I have a photo of that shop somewhere. I'll have to try to find it. I almost remember the man's name that owned it. A Polish name which is just beyond the veil.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad worked at the poultry store at the market when he went to high school. His favorite story was how he cut off the tip of his thumb killing a duck for a woman who wanted to make czarnina. He claims he was so mad that he drained the blood from the duck along with the blood dripping from his thumb into the jar for the woman to make the soup.

Dane Donunts was owned by the Kuskowski Family. I was friends with one of the daughters and hung out there in grade school.

We became friends when they closed the grade schools at St. Stannied, IC and St John on the Blvd. All the kids from the area came over to go to school at St. Hyacinth.

When we were in 7th grade the Archdiocese tried to close down St. Hyacinth. Fr Skalski was pastor at the time and a great advocate for the area and our church. He refused to allow our school to be closed down. He rounded up the parishoners, buses were rented and we all went downtown and marched on the Chancery. The verdict was that our school would remain open with no funding from the Archdiocese. The Banana Festival became a big fund raiser for the school.

The soda shop on Chene that my Mom and Dad hung out at on Chene was Werner's. They took me there when they went back to visit the owner George.

My Mom worked at the photo studio on Chene when she was in high school. I had my communion photos taken there and my communion party was held in the hall upstairs from the bakery on the corner of Chene and Palmer.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paczki,
My cousin lived right across the street from Bill's candy store when she first got married.
I still remember Bill from the time my cousin Chester and I were on Belle Isle and trying to hitch a ride back to Moran & Farnsworth and my uncle's bar. Bill comes riding by in a Buick convertible, looks at us, waves, and drives by. After all the candy we bought at his store!

Paczki

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticub,

He wasn't very nice to us kids and I was so afraid of him I'd only go to his store when Seelies was out of frozen lindy's LOL

Townonenorth

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last name of the owner of Walter's was Modzelewski. It just recently burned.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth, again a big thank you, when I get "aroundtoit" I will let you know if it is as good as Palmer's was.

Mortalman, So hey, were you living at my house with that chicken story? My mom did the same thing. The reason so many took live poultry home was dependent upon if they had the extra money for the butcher and on what day of the week the family was going to eat it. The size of the fridge was very small.

When I was older that knowledge fed many at a place where I stayed, the farm neighbors donated the chickens, my roommates learned how to cut, drain and pluck and we all ate well that evening. I still hate wet feathers, but love fresh farm grown poultry.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posen-another small city full of Poles near Alpena. Anyone have relatives from there who came down to Detroit?

Mortalman

Post Number: 476
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isle_of_fun, you posts bring old memories I have forgotten for almost as many years as I have been alive especially when you said, "The size of the fridge was very small." The 1st fridge we had was an orange crate nailed to the outside of the kitchen window in the winter time we kept our milk and butter out there. Then we graduated to an ice box and the iceman would come around with his horse drawn wagon with the ice he delivered. We had a sign we put in the window to let him know we needed ice. That horse of his was smarter than most people because he knew exactly which houses to stop at on the route. But, we were really "shittin in high cotton" when we got an Admiral electric fridge! Wow that is longer ago than I care to remember but good memories none the same!!

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman: RE: Your Post #439, Here is a link to recent info about the
Jim West/Hakeem Olajuwon Mansion.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 643
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW: When was the Chene Trombly bowl built? They used to hire kids to set pins and my dad said that was his first job...but it would have had to have been in the late 1920s or early 1930s. I don't remember WHERE he said he worked, but that would have been a strong possibility.

It's amazing to think that all those businesses on Chene were indirectly dependent on one industry. I remember whenever the UAW went on strike, it was hard times for everybody.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame, all I know is that the bowling alleys weren't there in 1928. Maybe someone else can come up with a date. I'd think that the Depression would have inhibited building. Maybe after 1937 sometime?
Here's the Sanborn of the Chene-Trombly Bowl.

CheneTrombly Bowl

The restaurant was there in 1928, as Chene Trombly Restaurant. Don't know if it was the same building.The addresses listed at 6338 and 6344 were listed as vacant. There also was a Liberty Candy Kitchen there at 6360. Addresses are on the Sanborn by the building on the street.

Mortalman

Post Number: 477
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how it came to be that the Torino Bakery on Dubois and Hendrie an Italian Bakery settled in this distinctly Polish neighborhood? There must be a story there somewhere but who knows it might be lost in time!

Townonenorth

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the bakery was originally owned by a Pole, a Mr. John Sikorski. That was before my time though.

When I went there, and actually Palmer bakery as well, were owned by Yugoslavians, more than likely Albanians.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman ....Glad I could bring back some good memories. Yes, we also had an outside winter fridge and even today during holidays (and always when our children lived at home)I have to set up something in the garage.
I recalled that we started to plan the meal for the holidays during planting season. We had to estimate in May how many days it would take to can the vegetables , fruits etc. for the whole year and then find room to store things and hope no greedy family member had a late night snack.
One other thing I loved about that area,It only took one bus ride to get to the DIA area, or just about anywhere, east, west, north or south, even Belle Isle.

About the Italian bakery
I lived in that area in the 50's and I learned 4 languages or how to speak English back words, partly due to the Polish, Polish/German slang, French and Italians. I really should say I learned to swear in four different languages. Many of our neighbor's were not Polish and not all were Catholics.
I can remember missing mass to go stand outside a Baptist or more predominantly Black Congregational Church to hear the great music. All within walking distance.
Not that our music was not good but it was always the same. For some reason Sunday Gospel music with rhythm really made me feel complete or at peace within myself.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7051 Posen is that just due west of Alpena?
I think some of my hamtramck classmates parents moved to that area.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slick is back with more memories.
Isle of fun, I graduated 1967 from Stannies.

Wasnt the photo studio on Chene, Hoffman? The only photo studio anyone ever used from the neighborhood.

Do not remember a shooting on Kirby, but by 1967 I was out in the 7 mile Van Dyke area. Referred to as Polish Grosse Pointe.

There were a few poultry markets around Chene Ferry market. One of them was owned by our neighbors on Piquette, I think name of Pekarski.

Chene Trombly bowling alley was the place for fun. Ten pin was the name of the restuarant, and the Ten pin special was a hot dog with cheese and bacon wrapped around it.

Next door to the lanes was the Pro shop owned by the Lisowski brothers. I bowled with Joe, of course he was in his 60s by then, in the seventies. Great guy. Went to school with his neice's Joanne and Connie. Joe Paulus owned the bowling alley. I thought all the lanes were pinsetters. Never upgraded to automatics.

Oh don't remind me of the Home theatre, the kids would go wild if they advertised 10 cartoons and tried to only show 8. Plus double features.
Great Memories.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name of the bowling alley my dad worked at in the late 20s and early 30s may have been the Palladium Bowling Alley on Jos. Campeau near Holbrook. Does anyone remember that one?

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 646
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I've been corrected: it was spelled "PLAYDIUM". Cute.

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can recall cruising down Hastings polishing off a GIQ looking for fun with a carload of friends.
What chutzpah as I think back.

Mortalman

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ivan

quote:

I haven't heard much about the Polish Yacht Club at Jos. Campau between Frederick and Farnsworth Sts. on this or any other threads. Your thoughts on the food, prices, atmosphere, ambiance and bar. I have my own thoughts but I'd like to hear what others think before I venture an opinion.

I think The Ivanhoe Cafe aka PYC use to be a much better place than it currently is. The reason I say this is when I go to someplace like a restaurant or bar with supposedly good food I expect the food to be good. I think The Ivanhoe Cafe or PYC is living on past laurels that were earned by Stanley Sienkiewicz and to a great extent Big John Sobczakthe because he ran a good a good show, too. The fish dinners were always 1st rate as was all of the food but the fish was the best. They predated the Old Mill which later won the award for best fish dinners in town. It makes me sad to see a place that had such a good reputation for food go down hill. The bar is ok but just ok because when Stanley and Big John ran it when they poured a shot there was none of this measuring out one shot because you got a shot and then some. More than likely a double shot! I also liked the old waitresses much better, too they had pizzazz and always remembered everybody that came in. It was more like family not just among the customers but the owners and staff too but that feeling is gone, now. It's the same story at The Ivanhoe Cafe as it was with Genies Weenies in Hamtramck when the original owners were no longer involved it was never the same. These are just my opinions! What do you think?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I miss Genie's Weenies! I went to high school with Robert Cieslak, Gene's Bro back at De La Salle in the late 1960's. I work afternoon shift and it was always a place to go for a mid-night gut grenade on the way home from work. The former Weenies is now some sort of Punjabi smoke shop endeavor which appears not to be able to get off the ground. The Cieslak's also had a place on Davison near Conant. Old Man Cieslak was also a noted musician, if I can recall.

Ticub

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. PYC fish dinners are just not the same as the old days. The recipe was a lot different then. Not worth the drive from Downriver. Just my opinion. Ambience is still there, but not the substance.

Mortalman

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticub, It made me sad to say what I said about PYC because it's an institution of long standing but they need to get back to basics. The food is what it's about and everything else is contingent upon them providing a good product i.e. great perch and other fish dinners! They may be the legal owners of the business but by proxy the customers are the real owners and if they don't get their act together there may not be any Ivanhoe Cafe "institution" which would be a real loss and shame.

Besides if they went out of business where would all the good catholic boys and girls go on Good Friday during the three (3) hours of the Stations of the Cross from 12 till 3? Their names will remain locked behind my "lock box lips" but many a priest have been seen tossing back a shot 'n beer from 12 to 3 on Good Friday!

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes it just amazes me that we have all flourished so well and that were taught so many ways to be resourceful, for that I am so thankful. I share with all of you, a bit of the past that helps me to go forward with my head held high.

"Life is not easy for any of us.
But what of that?
We must have perseverance
and above all confidence
in ourselves. We must believe
that we are gifted
for something, and that
this thing, at whatever cost,
must be attained."

Marie Sklodowska-Curie,
Polish Nobel-Prize winning chemist
(1867-1934)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 969
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mortalman- i agree with you about the PYC,Only if big John was alive today.The last time i went there the perch was terrible!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Sludgedaddy:

When Genie's Wienies closed, they had planned to open a new location out in Macomb County. According to their MySpace page, it's on Groesbeck near 14 Mile Rd. in Fraser. But I can't tell the current state of affairs from their MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/geniesw ienies
(you may need to cut and paste this URL since, for some reason, when it hotlinks, an erroneous space is inserted)

If anyone knows if they are open or just closed temporarily, please let us know.

Pgn421

Post Number: 970
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mortalman- ive seen the owners at Costco buying supplies for the PYC. Big John would support hamtramck for kielbasa and such. Not Costco!

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if Dan and Vi's pizza/party store is still there? They bake a better than average thin crust pizza. I think it was on Chene just across the freeway from the GM factory.

Pgn421

Post Number: 971
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dan and vis is still open

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember this being mentioned before but I see that the old Steiber Bruno store on Chene is for sale:

$29,900.00

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a lot of Space at the old Steiber Bruno store, what did they sell?

Just curious, how many of your neighbors raised pigeons?

What ordinance was developed in Detroit to prevent the raising of small farm animals and poultry in the city/ and what was the persons name that promoted it into law?

Maybe that law again needs to be altered for the times?

I know someone out there has this info, and it could be as far back as the original charter but I recall small farms within the city in the 50's. Anyone want to add info to this?

Where are all my FA sisters?

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay i give up ,
Where is everyone hiding??

Townonenorth

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally don't remember the pigeons, but saw the leftover coops.

Farm animals in the city? Perhaps in the depopulated areas, not in congested quarters.

Acme_pie
Username: Acme_pie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found this site by accident. Love it. Sure brings back memories. I grew up on Milwaukee St. between Chene and Dubois. Slick, I graduated from Immaculate Conception in 63. My wife and I (a St. Staney's grad) were parishioners till the end. Did you attend any of the reunions at the old "polish century club" on Outer Drive?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Acme_pie. Be sure to check out the HOF (Hall of Fame) threads at: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/6790.html?122868535 1

And the Active Archive as well. There are a number of threads on Hamtramck, the East Side, Schools, CHurches, etc. Take your time and explore the site! Have fun!!!

Townonenorth

Post Number: 450
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Acme pie. Weren't those the round pies produced locally?

Acme_pie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right. They had a little outlet store that sold them for a nickel.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 656
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I can tell on the real estate pages, it looks like half of Chene is up for grabs.

Question about 5845 Chene, though. The 1928 Chene Street Directory lists the occupants as Minewski Dry Goods. The real estate listing says the building was built in 1934.

Here's the question: Is that a store front built in front of the house behind it, or is it just an optical illusion?

Look at it: 5845 Chene (1934) Is it me, or what?

Also found on the real estate sites:

5851 Chene (1920)
5839 Chene (1913)
5801 Chene (1920)
5800 Chene (1920)
5747 Chene (1934)

I need to be rich. Very very rich.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5845 Chene is exactly as you see it, store with a house attached.

And yes, those pies were good! I liked the apple ones, if they are the same ones I remember.

Paczki

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to grade school with a girl whose parents owned Dane Donuts. The family lived above the bakery. Another girl's parents owned a bar at Chene and Trombly, they also lived above the bar. I imagine there were many more families on Chene who lived above their family owned business.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to Acme Pie,

Slick here,
first name Richard, just like yours.
you lived 7-Van Dyke area in the 70's

we were altar boys together.

Paczki-
all the small grocery stores had living quarters in the back.

I am getting ready for the Christmas holidays.
Home grated horseradish was made yesterday.
Next saturday, making kielbasa.

Acme_pie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those were the days of family owned businesses. There was a bar, hardware store, grocery or bakery almost on every other block.

Regarding earlier posts on the old "Home Theatre", does anyone remember the "Iris" theatre on East Grand Blvd where Chene street became Jos. Campau?

Slick, you probably know this, but a dash of sugar to your horseradish gives it some extra zing.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not related to this post
but I recently learned that, October 1, 1608, the English ship Mary and Margaret arrived at Jamestown, Virginia. Captain Smith, who had first learned of the Polish craftsmen's work while traveling in Eastern Europe, invited them to Jamestown for the specific purpose of helping to establish a glass industry in the colony.
On July 30, 1619, the Polish settlers accomplished another noteworthy achievement in the Jamestown colony by staging the first labor strike in America. After being denied participation in the first Virginia assembly, the Polish settlers conducted a labor walkout, not for wages or better working conditions, but for democratic rights.

http://www.polishamericancente r.org/FirstSettlers.html

Ticub

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding earlier posts on the old "Home Theatre", does anyone remember the "Iris" theatre on East Grand Blvd where Chene street became Jos. Campau?

Yes, and the King, Your, Perrien, Rialto, Ace, Harper. Two features, coming attractions, a short, a comedy all for 9 cents while I wolfed down jujubees, Smith Bros. cough drops which were really candy, along with candy cigarettes. Three "smokes" for a penny. We even used to walk there at night.
Those days can never be relived but in my mind, and they were great times.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember the Iris, but the Home Theatre,
was free to us because a family member had some part in it or worked there.
Because I was the youngest child, my mother would take me
to the movies with her once a month or more during school hours.
When I was four. I got to see The real Tarzan ( was that Johnnie Wisemueller?) in person and I got to see all the great theaters in the Downtown area.
Wow, did I think I was the luckiest kid on the block.

Hey where is Mortalman? You out there taking a coffee break?

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen -

We took a drive Saturday down Groesbeck in Fraser to search out Genie's Wienies. It's now a place called "Flashback Burger."

Their MySpace page (myspace.com/genieswienies) has a message from Donna that says:
"CLOSED! WILL RE OPEN IN A NEW LOCATION SOON! BUT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY A BLOCK OF OUR FAMOUS GENIES WIENIES CHILI PLEASE CALL DONNA CIESLAK 586-790-8966"

From the postings, it's apparent they've been closed since early this year.

So, at least for now, Genie's Wienies exists only in our memories and that Polish Muslims song I can't get out of my head!!!!

(Message edited by Gingellgirl on December 17, 2008)

(Message edited by Gingellgirl on December 17, 2008)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a map of the Poletown area from before the expressways came through.

http://www.polishancestry.com/maps/EastSideChurches1920.pdf

Kathleen

Post Number: 3182
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update on Genie's Wienies, Gingellgirl!! That's too bad, but not totally unexpected given how much it was a part of Hamtramck.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woohoo the recovery procedure has resurrected this awesome thread.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.