Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have somewhat vague memories of being at the church in Lake Orion & Fr.'s cottage with my family. The church is beautiful. I believe Fr. Ording built that one as well.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3394
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the scoop on St. Joseph parish. It looks as if St. Elizabeth/St.Thomas became St. Joseph. There is a link at the bottom of this part to the whole history with reference to Fr. J.J. Ording.

1928: Reverend Joseph Ording became Pastor of the 76 families at St. Elizabeth Parish in Oxford. He also had Mass at St. Thomas Chapel in Lake Orion. More than 1,000 people attended during the summer months. He occasionally traveled to Romeo to minister to 61 families at St. Clement Church. St. Joseph’s was established as a permanent parish.

1920’s – 1930’s: The Great Depression brought financial problems to everyone. To help their church, local residents resorted to serving home-cooked chicken dinners at thirty-five cents apiece. As the economy improved and more parishioners returned to the area, a new centrally located church was planned. The site location for the proposed church was the topic of many heated debate, Fr. Ording ended the discussion by choosing the twelve-acre site on top of a hill between the two towns. This site overlooked Lake Orion, Long Lake and Lake Mari, now called Lake Manitou and St. Joseph pond. As a sign of unity, the cornerstones of both St. Elizabeth’s and St. Thomas Chapel were installed in the foundation of the church, which was dedicated on June 6, 1940. The congregation first used the church on Christmas Eve at the midnight Mass that same year.

http://www.stjosephlakeorion.o rg/church/about/history.html

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad---Yes, very cool videos and so happy I could see them. God, the doors were the exact same ones, too! For some reason I remember room 121 the most. Room 100 was where we'd go for Friday movies in May. Thank you for the stuff, too. When can I expect UPS to deliver it so I'm home? Oh, and when are you going to post a pic of either yourself or a reasonable facsimilie on FB KR? I saw the tunnel and it looked creepy like some secret they hid from us. That school and church should be used for a thriller movie set. With the basement tunnels and the school closed, it would be perfect and the revenues from the film could pay to refurbish the school and turn it into a parish activities centre for families and the elderly in the community.

Eastburn---I also pronounce route as root. I call the trunk of a car the boot and instead of gas will go for petrol and the engine cover is the bonnet.

I recall The Deluxe but, never went into it. My sister Joanne used to frequent a place on the west side of Gratiot nearest the corner of Manning just south of it which was an auto repair and parts place and also had a sandwich and soda countre. She had a crush on the guy that worked there and she used to bring me along as a cute factor so he'd take to her more.

EVERYONE: I have a photo album on Facebook and the cover of it is my house I grew up in on Manning. Have a squizz at it(squizz is Brit for look). I got the pic online of all places. I just popped the address into the search bar and up it came in Google Images. It looks a lot sadder than it did originally. Just imagine flowers in the flower boxes, more and nicer trimmed shrubbery, a white awning with a mid sized black stripe and bright gleaming windows and a pretty front door. I cried so hard when I saw it like this. My dad would be angry at how his house has not been taken care of.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shopping News Carrier here - largest route - or root - in the city.
We went to Top Hat after a trip to Shoppers Fair. For special shopping trips to Feds and Wards, we usually took the bus - no xtra car at home for Mom to drive - from the corner of Faircrest and Morang to Gratiot & 7. Used to wait in the marble floored lobby of Jaclowicz's (sp) shoes across from the Catholic Supply house - to wait for the bus to come home. Monkey Wards had the best Santa at Christmas - sitting in the cross section of the stairway that led to the upper level.
Oh, an I always thought it was John Joseph Ording - go figure.

Jcole

Post Number: 3396
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it Shopper's Fair at 8 and Gratiot or was it Arlen's? I can never keep it straight. One was there and the other was at 8 and Schoenner??

Eastburn

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Shopper's Fair was at 8 & Gratiot along with White Castle (12 cents in my day), Top Hat, Pointe Auto Wash & (long ago) Eastwood Park.

Jcole

Post Number: 3397
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember both the White Castle and the White Tower. As a matter of fact, a boy who I dated once or twice when I was 14 or so was beaten to death in the White Tower parking lot when he was 18. Drug deal gone bad. George Garvaglia from St. Raymond's Parish

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Arlens was on 8 and Schoenherr and Robert Hall was on 7 just W of Gratiot - another store for fine Men's clothes.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robert Hall with the gas pipe racks - remember it well.

Jcole

Post Number: 3398
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robert Hall was right next to the A&P that my god-mother was bookkeeper for.
A fine emporium for clothing for the Catholic school lad.
There was another thread where someone was complaining about having to buy their school clothes there, and I filled 'em in on getting fitted for uniforms once a year at the end of summer and trying very hard not to grow until the next summer. Also, how much fun it was to have to only sweat in the uniform just before Christmas and Easter vacation so we could get our only jumper or skirt and bolero dry cleaned.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember their first McDonald's? Mine was at McNichol's and Mound.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got our first artificial tree from Monkey Wards...loved that store.

Jcole

Post Number: 3399
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine was 9 Mile between Kelly and Gratiot. In High School, along with Tubbys and Taco Bell. I loved Taco Bell so much, my boyfriends mother used to holler to Kevin 'The Taco Belle is on the phone' whenever I called

7andkelly

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work there.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same one?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine was the East Detroit one too.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great store...great incinerator!

Jcole

Post Number: 3400
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, if you meant same boyfriend, no. George was short term, but remained a friend for a couple years. Then, you know...
The Taco Bell boyfriend was 3+ years steady

7andkelly

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's what I meant J. Good pick-up.

Eastburn

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All those boyfriends. Wow!

Jcole

Post Number: 3403
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, honey, you don't know the half of it:-)

Zitro

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 I agree the 9 mile store had a great incinerator, that's what lured me there in the first place.

Zitro

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well TS we're waiting to hear the rest of the sordid details. Don't leave us hanging

Zitro

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federals or Monkey Wards?

Monkey Wards for me.

Zitro

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ginger or Mary Ann? No wait... wrong thread

(Message edited by zitro on August 25, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 3405
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wards. They had a better record department. That, as a matter of fact, is where I met George.
I was 14 and got picked up in the Monkey Wards record department. My mother was SO proud

Eastburn

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, I suggest you transfer your confession to a less public venue if you're going to let it all hang out. You know Z will just keep bringing it up until you do. You know where to find us.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ginger or Mary Ann? Mary Ann, of course!

Betty Jo, Bobby Jo or Billy Jo?

Jcole

Post Number: 3406
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, EB, point taken

Zitro

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z?? Come on

BTW; Which ever one Merideth McCrae was