Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wanted a News route. They were bigger, hence more $$.

I can't imagine my 11 year old grandson being allowed to do something like that today. I'm sure he could do it but times sure have changed.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 935
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: I may have mentioned it before but my News route had an interesting St. Jude lineage. Bob Nalley (later Fr. Nalley at ND) had that route, then my next door neighbors, the Vigneau brothers (Rick then Don), then me, then another Eastwood neighbor, Larry Shaheen, took over.
We were all St Jude school students at one time.
One thing interesting to note in that area of St. Jude Parish is that most of the grade school kids went to St. Jude instead of Columbus and the Detroit News was heavily favored over the Freep (The Detroit Times was defunct at that time)

Eastburn

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, Bob Nalley was my classmate at SJ & ND. Last I heard, he was still up in Gaylord.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad--Thanks. Muchos Gracias. Shi Shi Ni.

Well.....I played hookie today and missed all my classes here. So, I'll have to do some makeup homework. Here are my answers keeping in mind that some are chosen simply as the lesser of two evils.

Billy Jo, Feldon, Olsens, Maxwell Smart, Dr. Kildaire, Samantha Stevens because June Cleaver was lost in time, June Lockhart was lost in space and Samantha Stevens knew how to get lost in a really cool way, Gomer, Squiggy, Ebb, Sgt. Carter, Helen, Hogan, Mickey, Lassie, Lucy and Daffy.

I know I won't get full credit but I'm pulling for a B.

I used to wrestle my paperboy and his best friend on my front lawn.

Did anyone see the pic of my house yet on Facebook?

Diane12163

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://newreo.abdsolutions.net /images/manning14791.jpg

Here is my old house.
14791 Manning
Detroit, MI 48205

Kellyroad

Post Number: 936
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: It looks a lot like the previous pic posted....nice bungalow, nice porch..just don't build them like that now. I'd like to see a modern rendition of the bungalow or craftman type of house being built again

Diane12163

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me, too Kellyroad. There are a lot of houses in Detroit and even some Downriver that my dad helped build and that was a classic style and used frequently. Even though homelife was hell, I loved the structure.

I had decided to just put it on here to make it easiest to see.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, not only are the times changed, but they're defunct as KR said. You're right though, these days most kids in the city or burbs don't go wandering off on their bikes a mile or so away at 11 or 12 years old. Parents either don't feel the neighborhood is safe or the they're worried about the main roads. You really don't want your kid crossing modern twenty lane highways like Telegraph, Fort Street, Dix, Van Dyke or Hall Rd. when the traffic is zipping along at 50+ MPH.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mickey, Lassie, Goofy, Donald.

Diane, nice job getting your homework done in time, and thanks for playing along. The June Lockhart I was referring to was Timmy and Lassie's Mom. "Lassie" was a show that aired on Sunday evenings about a collie that use to be the hero each week, and Lassie gets my vote for best TV dog ever.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice house! The boards just mean it's for sale and the thieves haven't stolen the pipes and furnace yet. These days you could buy it for a song.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just added a couple of pages from Fr. Ordings' Mass of the Resurrection program to FB. One page gives his bio and another a history of St. Jude.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Z -
Very interesting bio and history of St. Jude. Maybe I should put a booklet together to provide at the back of the church for visitors, so they can read about the history of St. Jude. We can always use more parishoners!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the posting on facebook. Wasn't there a Father DeSantis at St. Jude at one time. Not sure if it was him or a relation that was cited as Fr. Ording's seminary class mate. Does anyone remember Fr. Ordings sister Margaret who took residence in the St. Jude rectory?

Eastburn

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our Fr. DeSantis' 1st name was Charles. He was the priest who instructed my Dad when he finally broke down & became a Catholic. He always claimed that I converted him. Sure. The Classmate of Fr. Ording's mentioned in the article was probably Fr. Charlie's Dad.

Margaret was the head housekeeper/secretary at the rectory in my time. She was always referred to as Miss Ording. She wasn't that much younger than Fr.

Zitro

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She lived in the house right next to the Rotary Club on the SE corner of 7 mile & Rex.

This may have been after she retired

(Message edited by zitro on August 26, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3422
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Miss Ording as well. It always seemed weird to me that she would just follow her brother, but my parents as well as all the other adults thought it was such a sacrifice on her part to help him serve the lord. I was young, and thought she needed a life. In retrospect, they must have come from a very religious family.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 938
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I understand the Ording family was also well to do.

Diane12163

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly---I was joking when I was referring to June Lockhart as lost in space. It was a pun. I also remember Lassie. We used to watch it when I was a kid.

the house is for sale in foreclosure. It is going for $9,900 and it has its original furnace from 1945 which was still in excellent working order in 1988. It even has a vestibule. Plus it has a brick BBQ out in the backyard that dad built, a 2 car garage with an attached utility shed, full finished basement with a half bath, fruit cellar, utility room and storage closet. It has 2 full size attics and a fireplace in the living room and the kitchen and dinette are big. It has a full size flagpole, too.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - wasn't it the Rapport club, that shared the duplex with Father Ording's sister? I remember her living there, because we crossed the street at that corner.

Zitro

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right Rapport club. Good catch CFG. I seem to remember her standing in her front door when we would go back across the street from lunch

Jcole

Post Number: 3423
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wondered why they called it the Rapport club? I know it was our version of a senior citizen club, but why rapport? I thought we were all supposed to live in rapport with one another, not just us old farts

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember her standing there too.
I think the Rapport club still exists - wasn't it for the seniors?

Eastburn

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name is actually Rappaport. It's a club for Jewish senior citizens. Named after Hyman Rappaport.

Zitro

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that makes sense now.

Jcole

Post Number: 3430
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did St. Jude's own both of those duplexes on the corner of 7 and Rex?

Eastburn

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AS far as I know, the one on the corner was the rectory (that I remember) and the one east of that was originally the convent.

Only Jewish nuns were allowed in those days.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Survey question: Which playground venue was your favorite during lunch or recess and why?
What was your least favorite and why?
-The black top
-behind the convent
-Rex
-St. Jude Playfield
-The patio

Jcole

Post Number: 3431
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Played mostly on the Convent blacktop, largely because I was a home lunch kid. I only lived a half block away, so I went home. Didn't get a lot of play time, but that was the nearest playspot so quicker to get back to.
Least favorite would have to be the 7 Mile blacktop, because of crossing 7.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Story about the Rapport Club: The only time I was in that house was with Fr. Ording and my dad. We got a tour of the facility. I do remember a couple of card tables set up. The rest of the house was pretty typical of all the duplexes along 7, Moross, and Morang...a small living room, dining room and kitchen on the first floor, two small bedrooms and a small bathroom upstairs. The Rapport club in late 50s and 60s had many members and was very active.

Zitro

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fav- Black top because the boundary's were more wide open for running and the lunch mom's used to supervise.

Least-anything around the school because the nuns were more involved in the supervision.

I don't remember taking recess at the playfield it seems like it was too far away.