Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The blacktop was my favorite for the very reason JC mentioned about behind the convent. For most of the time I was a home lunch kid so making a bee line to the black top after gulping down a soup and sandwich was real quick. It seemed the very best games of keep away and touch football happened during my 5 and 6th grades on the blacktop... least favorite was Rex..way too many kids just milling around on too small of an area..besides that's where my red rover accident happened...a bump on the forehead the size of a golf ball.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think another reason I liked the Convent blacktop is that is what I remember for 7th and 8th grades and we 'ruled the school'. Also, it included the Maddelein Street and the popsicle guy parked his wagon on Rex and Maddelein. I'm still a sucker for blue popsicles.
To paraphrase that dumb Tom Cruise movie' You had me at the bomb pop'

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the lemonade ones they have now they are the bomb.

Jcole

Post Number: 3434
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to make those at home, as well as my own Vernor's ones. Now, Vernors popsicles are cool. They freeze the fizz.
Ever have Italian Ice? Grape is my favorite in that

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, ever had the raspberry or lemon sorbet @ Moores in Marlette?

Zitro

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Italian Ice at Fazoli's isn't bad you can have them add your own fresh fruit. Talk about a head freeze though

Jcole

Post Number: 3436
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I have had their Blue Moon ice cream and some other flavors. I'll have to check out the sorbets. That is if they are still open??

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember when the Good Humor truck used to carry Rootbeer Popsicles...love to have one of those right now.

Zitro

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the ice cream Good Humor had with the chocolate candy on the inside you had to work you way to? Kind of like a Captain Crunch bar. Or was it Captain Crunch?

(Message edited by zitro on August 26, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 3438
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, A Chocolate Eclair bar. 2nd only to the Toasted Almond bar. Yum

Zitro

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Chocolate Eclair!!

Zitro

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Laing?

Jcole

Post Number: 3439
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they still sell the Good Humor's mentioned above in grocery stores

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 408
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toasted Almond rules -
Rex first, then the Blacktop at 7 mile. My Mom was one of the lunch moms - and field trip Mom. She always wrote the nuns a note telling them how good the kids in her group behaved - that would have included you J!
Remember when we had the fire-drills and geez, the sheer mass of students exiting that building. I wonder if they ever checked if all 1000+ kids got out?

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laing be here - working like a dog. just to give my 2 cents, the rapport club was a get together club for senior citizens. I thought st jude owned both the houses by the black top across 7 mile from the school, but at least the one on the corner for sure. was in it once for a white elephant sale - remember those?? favorite playground would be that blacktop - remember using the lines for the parking spots as out of bounds for football at lunch time. skinned many a knee out there and ripped many a knee out of the pant legs.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 409
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT'S how I remember going into the Rapport club the White Elephant sale. I was wondering why in the world I would know what the inside looked like! Thanks, Laing

Jcole

Post Number: 3440
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember taking food over there for a funeral. The Altar Society ladies always made casseroles for the 'after-party' if it was held at the church, so I'm sure that's why I got in there.

12468_laing

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember back in 3rd grade during one of those canned food drives. someone in my class had a can of something in a brown paper bag and was swinging it, till it connected with my right eye. remember laying down outside the office off the rex courtyard waiting for my mom to take me home. gees, if that would happen now, kids would just suck it up. cfg, seems i remember your mom standing out on the blacktop. mine had that duty sometimes, too.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 410
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the Moms enjoyed working the playground duty. Since my Mom didn't drive, she always volunteered for anything around the school since she could walk there.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, Moores is still open. New owners keep it open year round. Smaller servings, though.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moore's was always the ice cream break on the way up to PA. We all had our Eat Moore's t-shirts and you just "skipped a step" if you went up to PA and didn't stop!

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked on Meals On Wheels when I was in high School with my then friend Katie at St. Raymonds. I always found it very rewarding especially seeing these people look so appreciatively at me and a feeling that they were cared for.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, I did some searching online, and someone said they have the root beer popsicles at Walmarts. Next time I'm there checking for special edition Wheaties boxes, I will definitely meander over to the frozen section. I sure hope I'm not on a wild goose chase.

Jcole

Post Number: 3442
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those sound really good. Walmart is not my favorite place, but they carry Blue Bunny products, which I think are made in Iowa, and they have the best Bomb Pops and Pistachio Ice Cream around.
A good combo for popsicles is Root Beer and Banana

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The past couple of days I've had Ben And Jerry's Cinnamon Bun ice cream and Cheesecake Brownie ice cream. We have Blue Bell down here in Texas and they have a few neat flavours like Candy Shop, Cake Batter, and Cantaloupe. I loved this one place on 94 heading towards Jackson which was right off the freeway. You could see it from 94. They had the creamiest lemon ice cream. I also love frozen custard and Sanders ice cream and milk chocolate hot fudge sauce is to die for.

KR: As long as you're sending the stuff from school, send me a case of Sanders cans of hot fudge sauce.

I'm going to look for those root beer thingies at Wally World. You could probably even make them at home with some good root beer or for that matter any soda pop. Mmmmm....Faygo Redpop and Rock And Rye popsicles! How about a Cream Soda one? Dr. Pepper? Cherry Coke? Or make some really good southern sweet tea with Louisianne Tea and freeze it. And at Christmas you could make egg nog and freeze it in popsicles. Take some club soda, add in a slight couple drops of cinnamon flavouring and a bit of red food colour.

OK.....I'm now stepping away from the recipe box. :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take an extra large Baskin Robbin's root beer float with Rocky Road ice cream. I wonder if that store is still open on Morang, near Cadieux. Do you know, Laing? You must have ridden your bike over there a thousand times or more back in the day.

12468_laing

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

am not sure about that baskin robbins. i used to go there a lot back in my arthur junior high days. loved the rocky road. haven't been to detroit since 2004, but think it was closed by then. i also remember another place on a corner by St. Brendans. a friend worked there, and they had one of those old soda shop set ups - ice cream was much better. down here in tn, baskin robbins are opening with a dunkin donut place in the same building.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have one of those. When they first opened they had the Rocky Road but no root beer. Now they carry root beer, but it's under the counter in bottles, I think just for me.

Zitro

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about a belly buster. BR & DD in the same building! You gain 5 lbs just walking in the door without eating anything.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be an A&W on Morang near Cadieux. It may have been almost across from Pecars and Kavans? Maybe not that far down. I used to work at Indian Village Cleaners, next to the Pagoda restaurant - never got tired of Chinese food. 16 yrs. old and they gave me the keys to close the place and set the alarm!